A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Back in Germany (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15250)

tc4332 1st October 2019 10:57 AM

Back in Germany

3 Attachment(s)
I'm in Germany again.
Beginning of August we gathered here for the German Audi Freunde Annual Meet which has been reported in other threads.
This trip is for completely different reasons. I have a nephew from Glasgow who won Stars in Your Eyes in 2000 saying "Tonight Mathew, I am Freddie Mercury". Since then he has formed a group called "The Works" and they tour the World with a gig called "OneNightOfQueen". Try googling it, especially if you are into Queen. They are currentlt touring Germany.
I left home at 00:10 Monday morning, caught the 06:20 train off Folkestone. Went the usual route through France, Belgium and Holland into Germany but deviated slightly to visit a Model Railway shop in Kaarst near Dusseldorf. I had a new locomotive to collect.
I promised myself that I would drive like a responsible old man but I have to admit that I did manage to lose the plot and found myself burning up the miles like a mad octogenarian. I was only a little bit above 160mph, honest Dad.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/blob:http...6-0debdd10b852

Arrived in Kassel at 15:00, tired but safe.

Tonight they are in The Congress Halle in Kassel and tomorrow in The Gerry Weber Halle in Halle, Westphalia. I have a boatload of friends that are like extended family to me in the Bielefeld area. I have been friends with the Matriarch for 60 years. We are going enbloc to the gig there.

I stayed in Kassel last night and will be heading to Bielefeld after breakfast tomorrow. Bielefeld is the nearby large town to Halle. Today,my nephew, Gary, and I are having some quiet time together in Kassel and later enjoying the gig. Of course I will be watching and he will be "working" on stage.

tintin 1st October 2019 12:24 PM

Sounds like a great trip Ray, enjoy.

Johnmed 1st October 2019 12:26 PM

Enjoy Ray!!

moltuae 1st October 2019 04:48 PM

Give our regards to Gary, Ray.

With the exception of Freddie himself (who I saw back in '86), I can honestly say Gary gives the best live Freddie experience I've ever seen +++

Hopefully we'll see him again on is next UK tour :)

MikkiJayne 1st October 2019 06:50 PM

Let us know if Bielefeld exists or not when you get there (or not) :ROFL: I assume no one has won the prize for proving it doesn't yet? ;)

tc4332 2nd October 2019 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 152904)
Let us know if Bielefeld exists or not when you get there (or not) :ROFL: I assume no one has won the prize for proving it doesn't yet? ;)

Nice one MJ.
I only spent nine years there.
Yes, definitely exists. Even had five weeks in ICU there when I went down with pancreatitis a few years back.
Try Google maps, and not too far from Vera. Hope to see her on Friday.

Mark, I gave Gary your regards. Malcolm (keyboards) has met a girl and they've set up home in Colne.

John and Steve, I am enjoying it. Had most of the day with Gary and the gig last night was brill.

Today it is off to the "Bielefeld if it exists" and my German extended family. Seven of them will be at tonights gig.

Conan_the_Librarian 3rd October 2019 09:17 AM

You never cease to amaze me Ray. I do hope I'm half as capable as you if I make it to your age!

tc4332 3rd October 2019 06:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I am attaching a photo that will hopefully satisfy the "Does Bielefeld exist?" crowd.
Also a photo from Kassel. This was taken during the sound/light checks before the gig. If anyone wants I can produce some shots taken during the concert.

jonnypym123 3rd October 2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 152889)
I'm in Germany again.
Beginning of August we gathered here for the German Audi Freunde Annual Meet which has been reported in other threads.
This trip is for completely different reasons. I have a nephew from Glasgow who won Stars in Your Eyes in 2000 saying "Tonight Mathew, I am Freddie Mercury". Since then he has formed a group called "The Works" and they tour the World with a gig called "OneNightOfQueen". Try googling it, especially if you are into Queen. They are currentlt touring Germany.
I left home at 00:10 Monday morning, caught the 06:20 train off Folkestone. Went the usual route through France, Belgium and Holland into Germany but deviated slightly to visit a Model Railway shop in Kaarst near Dusseldorf. I had a new locomotive to collect.
I promised myself that I would drive like a responsible old man but I have to admit that I did manage to lose the plot and found myself burning up the miles like a mad octogenarian. I was only a little bit above 160mph, honest Dad.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/blob:http...6-0debdd10b852

Arrived in Kassel at 15:00, tired but safe.

Tonight they are in The Congress Halle in Kassel and tomorrow in The Gerry Weber Halle in Halle, Westphalia. I have a boatload of friends that are like extended family to me in the Bielefeld area. I have been friends with the Matriarch for 60 years. We are going enbloc to the gig there.

I stayed in Kassel last night and will be heading to Bielefeld after breakfast tomorrow. Bielefeld is the nearby large town to Halle. Today,my nephew, Gary, and I are having some quiet time together in Kassel and later enjoying the gig. Of course I will be watching and he will be "working" on stage.

It would be rude not to exceed 160mph in Germany :D I'm liking the new 8 Ray I have not seen one in that colour do you think it's an exclusive colour?

tc4332 3rd October 2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnypym123 (Post 152928)
It would be rude not to exceed 160mph in Germany :D I'm liking the new 8 Ray I have not seen one in that colour do you think it's an exclusive colour?

I do not know of any other in this colour.
The attention it receives from Audi staff whenever I visit stealers in Germany or UK lends me to believe that it is at least very unusual.

jonnypym123 4th October 2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 152930)
I do not know of any other in this colour.
The attention it receives from Audi staff whenever I visit stealers in Germany or UK lends me to believe that it is at least very unusual.

I can imagine, It's certainly a head turner. Most D4s I've seen on the road are black

tc4332 6th October 2019 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just received the EndfOfShow photos from Kassel and Halle.
Sadly the Kassel one missed me by one person but the Halle got me good.

moltuae 7th October 2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 152961)
Just received the EndfOfShow photos from Kassel and Halle.
Sadly the Kassel one missed me by one person but the Halle got me good.

Found you, front right +++

That was like a game of Where's Wally :D ... who, funnily enough, appears to be there too, about half way back, near the centre.

tc4332 7th October 2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 152964)
Found you, front right +++

That was like a game of Where's Wally :D ... who, funnily enough, appears to be there too, about half way back, near the centre.

Strange how there are always a "Wally" or two at these gigs.
Full on rock concert and they sit there with their arms folded looking sour whilst everyone else is up jigging about and having fun.
Gary tells them they might as well be at home watching the TV.
Then you have folk in wheelchairs giving it their best. At Kassel I managed to get two wheelchair bound ladies to the front and they had a whale of a time. Wouldn't stop thanking me for getting them there.
In the Halle photo the boy in red on my right is the son of the cook travelling with the band. The two girls on my left are Emilia and Fabienne, great grandaughters of Brigitte, my friend of 60 years. They call me Opa Ray. Just part of my extended family. Shots like this make me realise how lucky I am and also how large my extended family is.
I know I have lost the major part with the passing of Gwen but in the big picture I consider myself rather lucky.
I'd better get off my soapbox.
Start the journey home tomorrow, Tuesday. Gary gig in Hagen and stay there overnight. Wednesday travel to Valkenburg near Maastricht and overnight with friends. Thursday catch the 18:20 train off Calais and should be home well before midnight.
Friday back to work, three day tour in Gilslands Hall hotel with a line dancing group.

briang9 7th October 2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian (Post 152917)
You never cease to amaze me Ray. I do hope I'm half as capable as you if I make it to your age!

Me too:) looks like a great trip Ray+++

moltuae 8th October 2019 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 152966)
Strange how there are always a "Wally" or two at these gigs.
Full on rock concert and they sit there with their arms folded looking sour whilst everyone else is up jigging about and having fun.

I meant the guy in the middle:

https://i.imgur.com/bxpi0CA.png

Just needs the Wally hat to complete the costume :D

tc4332 9th October 2019 01:30 PM

After brekkie this morning drove from Germany into Holland and did no go above 80MPH, honest. Must be having a melt down.
Arrived in Valkenburg and Theo, the previous owner was waiting for me. Booked in and had a walk round town for old times sake. Gwen loved it here. Can be a bit busy but out of season is nice, during the day anyway. We're having dinner in town tonight and seeing as Bianca is a town councillor as well as a majistrate we will have a lot of company.
I'm catching the 18:20 off Calais tomorrow evening so should be home before midnight.
Had to come back; I'm driving a Line Dancing tour on Friday for the weekend.

H-M3 9th October 2019 09:59 PM

What is the fuel price like in EU Ray with Brexit on the table?

tc4332 9th October 2019 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H-M3 (Post 153008)
What is the fuel price like in EU Ray with Brexit on the table?

To be honest I hav'nt bothered looking at price, if I need it I have to buy it where I am at that time. Driving miles to save pennies or tanking up at the half empty point because it might be more expensive tomorrow is in my mind a load of rowlocks.
I'll need fuel tomorrow in France, or maybe Belgium so I'l try to take note, but no promises. Don't hold your breath 'cos I can't be arsed.

MikkiJayne 10th October 2019 07:08 AM

Lol Ray :ROFL:

I'm much the same when someone new sees the S8 - first the compliment, then 'how big is the engine' then always 'I bet that doesn't do much to the gallon?'

Really? Just look at it! I literally don't care how much fuel it uses :hammer:

https://media.giphy.com/media/d3YHod...qTsY/giphy.gif

Norretal 10th October 2019 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 153012)
Lol Ray :ROFL:

I'm much the same when someone new sees the S8 - first the compliment, then 'how big is the engine' then always 'I bet that doesn't do much to the gallon?'

Really? Just look at it! I literally don't care how much fuel it uses :hammer:

https://media.giphy.com/media/d3YHod...qTsY/giphy.gif

I get that sort of response too MJ, always makes me laugh, conversation usually along the lines of:

"What's that then, a 3 litre?"

"No, it's a 5.2 litre V10"

"Oh, I bet that's thirsty??"

"How very insightful of you, can't say I've noticed" :ROFL:

Sounds like an amazing trip Ray, I always enjoy your ventures, I hope I'm half as active if I ever get near your age. Gillsland Hall Hotel is about an hour from me, that's a lovely area of the North East. I look forward to updates on that trip too, wasn't this the one where you were smothered in young ladies last year? ;)

Dezzy 10th October 2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norretal (Post 153014)
I get that sort of response too MJ, always makes me laugh, conversation usually along the lines of:

"What's that then, a 3 litre?"

"No, it's a 5.2 litre V10"

"Oh, I bet that's thirsty??"

"How very insightful of you, can't say I've noticed" :ROFL:

Sounds like an amazing trip Ray, I always enjoy your ventures, I hope I'm half as active if I ever get near your age. Gillsland Hall Hotel is about an hour from me, that's a lovely area of the North East. I look forward to updates on that trip too, wasn't this the one where you were smothered in young ladies last year? ;)

"what's it like on petrol?"

It loves it!

Norretal 10th October 2019 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 153016)
"what's it like on petrol?"

It loves it!

Pretty much sums it up mate :ROFL:

ainarssems 10th October 2019 01:12 PM

They are just jealous and try to find a negative and and excuse why they have not got one.:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

tc4332 11th October 2019 04:26 PM

I arrived home in Wigan at 20:00 last night, Thursday 10/10/2019. Needless to say, I was knacked. Had to unpack and repack for today's trip.

I was held up on the M25 and M42 but considering the time of day, nothing unusual. All in all a very good trip. Managed three full days with my "Nephew" and his group. I knew that they all knew me and who Gwen and I were, but have only realised during this trip how much they like me. Not only the players but the rigging team, English truck driver and technical guys as well. Even the German Chef and coach driver were all over me. The agency rep produced an all areas special pass for me and they fed and watered me. Felt like a man of substance.
So you Queen fans; Google "onenightofqueen", and Gary Mullen and The Works will appear. Look up the gig dates and get your tickets. If anyone does attend a gig, let me know before hand so that I can try and organise to see you there. If I'm there and you are lucky I might be able to organise a back stage meet, no promise but a possibility.

Back to today, 10 passengers only so left the large coaches at the garage and I'm using a 17 seater mini. Quite nice, certainly not what you would think. Problem was that I had to collect each of them and on Sunday's return I'll have take them home. Warrington, St Helens, Billinge, Wigan and Darwen. Think I know my way around Lancashire now!!!!!!
Nice area here and the staff know me now and have given me a better than average room, in fact a double with a view.

Petrol costs in Europe. I'll dig up some of the receipts and post them later next week. I'll also post a few photos taken in Germany. I'm a bit busy the rest of this month with various commitments. I do not recommend retirement.

tc4332 9th November 2019 08:29 AM

Here we go again.
No peace for the wicked.
You all know about the North West Mini Meet that turned out to be a surprise early Birthday Party for me. I thank you all for that and the lovely good wishes.
It has been a week and a half since then, I've lost track of a lot of it.
What day is it now?
Day after the mini meet I received a message out of the blue from a German Police Lady with information about a German lady I went out with back in the 60's. The Police Lady is in Portishead on a course with Avon & Somerset Police so Thursday I'm driving there to have a day with her. I'll let you all know more details when everything is finalised. We are planning, already booked and paid for, another trip into Germany. 18th December 06:20 Chunnel and drive to Luneburg. 21st Drive to Maastricht in Holland for a candle light vigil. 22nd 18:20 chunnel home.
Today we are driving to London, overnight in the Premier Hangar Lane, tomorrow Marlborough House and the Cenotaph, driving home in the evening.
19th November I'm driving to Blyth for a funeral.
This means that if anyone sees a gold flash it will have been me.

tc4332 14th November 2019 10:16 PM

Portishead today went fine. In fact bloodie wonderful.
I took said German Police Lady for a drive. As we set off the first comment was "Wow!! this is quiet, is it electric?"
I'll tell you the story after the Luneburg trip next month.

27litres 15th November 2019 12:24 PM

Nice "Challenger" model there Ray ;)

Got a mate with some lovely model of a Big Boy, and he's been keeping me up to date on the Big Boy they've just finished restoring in the US.
I found it amusing that after the restored Challenger was withdrawn from the tracks for overhaul and before the Big Boy was finished, the mantel for the largest steam locomotive in the world in use in preservation was the Australian Standard Garratt in New South Wales!
So I suppose it's now the 2nd largest until the Challenger is back!

Anyway, enough gunzelling...

Happy birthday Ray! And keep up the busy lifestyle, it does wonders for your health!

tc4332 15th November 2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 27litres (Post 153678)
Nice "Challenger" model there Ray ;)

GAustralian Standard Garratt in New South Wales!

Would that be one of the Manchester built Beyer Garratts?
My paternal grandparents just down the road from the plant and I used to prowl round there on Saturday afternoons.

27litres 15th November 2019 09:58 PM

I suspect (without any research, but understanding how things are done down here) that Beyer Peacock did the design work (to specification) and built "some". Then the NSWGR workshops would have built the rest they required under licence.
Victoria did most of its loco building that way. The VR Narrow Gauge lines (ie Puffing Billy, Walhalla and three others that no longer exist) originally received two built locos and two disassembled pattern locos from Baldwin. Then built a total of 17 of the NA type under license.

tc4332 17th November 2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 27litres (Post 153687)
I suspect (without any research, but understanding how things are done down here) that Beyer Peacock did the design work (to specification) and built "some". Then the NSWGR workshops would have built the rest they required under licence.
Victoria did most of its loco building that way. The VR Narrow Gauge lines (ie Puffing Billy, Walhalla and three others that no longer exist) originally received two built locos and two disassembled pattern locos from Baldwin. Then built a total of 17 of the NA type under license.

That sounds about right. Even Germany's first steam locomotive "Der Adler" (The Eagle) was built by our own Stevenson, subsequentially copied and possibly improved there.

tc4332 23rd November 2019 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another update to my travels.
Had a half day trip into North Wales yesterday (Friday) in the 17 seater.
Today took the 34 seater to Ilkley.
Monday I'm taking the 34 seater to Drymen (Loch Lomond) for a five day tour. This will include a trip to Trossach Pier, Christmas market in Edinburgh and a Glasgow visit. So another busy busy week.
Must remember to buy some slow down pills. http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/blob:file...8-ec60c6c7abc4

tc4332 14th December 2019 08:47 AM

Quick update.
I’ve had a reasonably quiet week but preparing for a mad drive to Luneburg in Germany, south of Hamburg. Sat Nav says nine hours from Calais, I’ll have to see if I can cut that down a bit.
Think I’ll try the Harwich to Hook of Holland Ferry next time for a change.
Leaving Tuesday night midnight, booked on Wednesday 06:20 Chunnel, hope to be in Luneburg for dinner.

The real reason for my visit.
The day after my surprise early birthday party which happened to be the day before Bonfire Night I had another extremely lovely surprise.
Gwen and I knew that I had a daughter in Germany that I had lost contact with. Basically her mother didn’t fancy living in England and we subsequently lost contact.
Fourth November this year I received a Cilla Black moment in the shape of a message from a young German lady saying she had an English grandfather. All the details were quickly checked and they matched. I now am the proud Grandfather of another beautiful young lady.
We have had a day together already and next Wednesday I am driving over to Germany to meet her Mother, Grandmother and the rest of her family. Four of them I have not seen since 1967.
Lots of Birthday and Christmas cards to catch up on.

tc4332 18th December 2019 06:54 PM

Managed a few hours sleep last night, out of bed at midnight, ten past in the car. It was bitter and the windows were frozen. I can't close the driver window now, it closes and immediately opens half way. I can close it by blipping? the close switch but it is a bit noisy.
Part of the M6 was closed and the M26, lost me an hour, but still managed to reach Folkestone in time for the earlier train. But they wouldn't let me on it. Apparently they had an early morning problem and trains were running an hour late. In the end they were only 30 mins adrift.
I had a good run from Calais and reached Luneburg just after 16:00, shaved two hours off the satnav estimate.
Temperatures varied from zero to +9 but I had rain and mist at various times and bright sunshine in Belgium.
This evening before dinner I had a walk round genuine German Xmas Markets.
Now I'm knackered and must stock up on the beauty treatment.
Night night.

tc4332 27th December 2019 09:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Christmas is over, done and dusted for another year, won’t be long now and we will be putting all the desecrations away in the loft for another year. How many shopping days to . . . ?
Just a couple of details to finish the Luneburg trip. I must be mad, two days in Luneburg, a day in Holland, basically all that way for a long weekend.
In 1964 I had a German girlfriend called Helga. Lovely relationship and I brought her to England a couple of times. She presented me with a daughter, Christine in December 1965 and they both visited my family here in England. The plan was that I would settle in Germany when I was demobbed. I was demobbed in Germany and I turned my part time job into full time but then the Army stepped in and informed me that I had to serve three years reserves in UK. I had to pack in all the plans and return to UK. Helga then had cold feet and was very reluctant to transfer to England with me even if it was for only three years.
During those years, without going into details, we lost contact. Both Gwen and I with help from our German friends in Bielefeld tried without success to relocate the. This was not helped by Helga changing her name when she got married.
So, November this year happened.
· 3rd November surprise 80th Birthday Party
· 4th November an unexpected message from a German Police Lady
· 14th November spent in Portishead meeting the German Police Lady.
The Police Lady, Ilka Sophie, turned out to be my 26-year-old Granddaughter, Christine’s daughter. This then caused my trip to Luneburg where Ilka lives with her Mother and Father. The two days in Luneburg were for me to meet my Daughter and her husband, Volker. I was also able to meet Helga, her Husband Siegfried, her brother Udo and his wife Rosiemarie.
I had not seen any of them since 1967.
The weekend was not a wasted effort, the adventure continues. Plans are already afoot for Christine to visit us here in UK.
The first two photos are of Ilka and Ilka in Avon & Somerset’s Police Helicopter.
The third is Helga and Christine celebrating Christmas.

tonupkid 27th December 2019 09:44 PM

Ray, such a wonderful thing to happen to you. How lovely to discover (or be discovered by) your granddaughter, and re-connect with a whole other family. Such a heart warming story. Could not happen to a nicer bloke, thank you for sharing.

tintin 27th December 2019 10:04 PM

Fabulous story Ray, especially at Christmas. I'm delighted for you.

H-M3 27th December 2019 11:54 PM

Wow! Best Xmas pressie me thinks+++

moltuae 28th December 2019 09:03 AM

Wow. Fantastic story! So pleased for you, Ray :)

The_Laird 28th December 2019 09:19 AM

I had to read your last post twice, Ray, to work out who was where and when and with whom! What a simple life I lead! :o

But that is a great story. It would make the script for one the awful, sentimental Christmas movies that my wife is fond of! :)