A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D4 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   brake pads warning light (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11809)

damtom85 22nd June 2016 08:40 PM

brake pads warning light

hi .

brake pad light came up and when i do scan with VCDS there is no errors left in modules ? where in VCDS (measuring blocks) i can find which side needs to be changed ?

thanks

Dezzy 23rd June 2016 07:38 AM

Might be wrong as i know nothing about these modern 8's but the brake warning on previous models is actually quite dumb and only on the front axle. I'm going with front, doesn't matter what side, change the axle set. If you pop a wheel off you should be able see how much meat is left on the pads.

damtom85 23rd June 2016 08:35 AM

of course axle i will change, but I'm quite surprised there is no errors in module

Joe2.0E 23rd June 2016 11:45 AM

Brace yourself, genuine pads for a D4 are well pricey.
Worth checking eBay if you have the correct part no.'s

damtom85 23rd June 2016 11:58 AM

im going for Brembo, i am using there pads for ages and always happy, £55 per axle

kungfupanda 25th June 2016 04:14 AM

I've recently done the rear pads and discs on my D4. The Pagid ones at ECP fitted with no problems and are performing well. New wear sensors are included with the new pads. Just to confirm on my 3.0 TFSI, there are wear sensors on the rears too. Just on one side though.

Joe2.0E 26th June 2016 07:43 PM

Any feedback on brake dust from the pagid or brembo options ?
Genuine pads seem to be mostly made by Ferodo by the way.

velour 14th July 2016 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kungfupanda (Post 114062)
I've recently done the rear pads and discs on my D4. The Pagid ones at ECP fitted with no problems and are performing well. New wear sensors are included with the new pads. Just to confirm on my 3.0 TFSI, there are wear sensors on the rears too. Just on one side though.

Hi,
Did you do that yourself - any feedback on how difficult it was. I have plenty of experience changing pads and discs on older cars and wondering whether I can do discs and pads all round myself rather than paying the stealer (£1600:mad::mad:)

kungfupanda 14th July 2016 11:18 PM

Yeah I did them myself. I've only done the rears though. I think they're trickier than the front. It's just the same as on any vehicle except you need VCDS or a generic code reading unit to allow you to wind back the callipers. Once the callipers are wound back, you release and remove the sliding pins, remove the caliper and then wind back the callipers with a wind back tool.

Remove the calliper carrier and disc then refit all. You don't need any special tools just the usual tools you'd need for any brake change.

velour 15th July 2016 12:55 PM

Nice one - thanks very much. Appreciate the info - sounds like I now have an excellent excuse to buy a VCDS as well as saving some money on the brakes!

damtom85 20th July 2016 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kungfupanda (Post 114883)
Yeah I did them myself. I've only done the rears though. I think they're trickier than the front. It's just the same as on any vehicle except you need VCDS or a generic code reading unit to allow you to wind back the callipers. Once the callipers are wound back, you release and remove the sliding pins, remove the caliper and then wind back the callipers with a wind back tool.

Remove the calliper carrier and disc then refit all. You don't need any special tools just the usual tools you'd need for any brake change.

can you tell , did you input new pad thickness pad values in vcds after you changed them ? if yes where exactly and what procedure you fallowed ?

i ordered set for front and back, pagid pads, all together(front +back) with promotion code and delivery came to £90 from ECP

kungfupanda 20th July 2016 09:25 PM

I used a generic OBD tool to wind back the pistons and then wound them back on again once I'd finished. I know that VCDS asks you to enter the new pad mm thickness but I wasn't asked with the tool I used.

Do a search on youtube on guides to change rear pads on later Audi models. I think C7 A6's have the same procedure.

damtom85 1st August 2016 08:04 AM

update on whole procedure.

i have changed front and rear.

front: no issues, just to remember wear sensors are not icluded in set, luckily mine sensors were ok, you can buy them seperate for cost of around £8. changing procedure as any other braking system, release 2 caliper nuts and one on outer side of caliper. caliper will come off, change pads and put everything back together.

rear: release parking brake - in vcds, controller 53(parking brake) -my controller is working in UDS protocol - so go to basic settings - from drop down list choose 'start linning change procedure' - you will hear parking brake winding all way back and screen shows 'running' - once screen shows 'not running' - go out from controller- close vcds - turn off ignition - you will notice parking brake button and 'P' on dash will flash - also don't worry if during changing process both lights stop flashing, it is energy saving feature. - next thing changing pads - well piece of cake :) - remove 2 nuts from back of caliper - and now before you remove caliper - use flat bar or big flat screwdriver put it in between old pad and caliper on outer side of wheel hub and pry on it and your piston will go magically back and you don't have to use later any special tools and caliper will be ready to take any size of pads and new disc. i had both sensors broken on back and they are included with pads, swap them. after you changed rear pads on both wheels put ignition on press brake pedal few times until feels hard open vcds module 53 - basic setting - from list choose ' end of lining change process' you will hear again parking brake working again and wait until vdcs shows 'finished' - parking brake button and 'P' on dash stops flashing - engage parking brake through button then release and engage again - now in vcds go to 53 module erase all faults, if everything is done correctly, faults will be gone and won't come back- also go to module 08 abs clear all faults and to module 01 engine and clear all faults. go for ride and enjoy new pads. JOB DONE!

one thing - i forgot about brake fluid so when i push pistons back brake fluid came out through tank lid and went through drainage on driveway. as fluid is corrosive i used luke warm water with fairy liquid and washed tank and flushed drainage.

second thing - i didnt hook up battery charger for whole procedure but I advise you to do it.

i took us 40 minutes to do front and rear.

S81 12th February 2022 06:19 PM

Pad warning light came on so sent car to get front pads replaced ,when she came back with the new pads light still on ,sent her back and mechanic says sensors ok and it has to be a broken wire somewhere ,not a big job to fix if you could find the break ,does anybody know if I can disable the pad warning light with Ross Tec and if so does anybody know how please

( d4 car)

Thanks

steamship 13th February 2022 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S81 (Post 168745)
does anybody know if I can disable the pad warning light with Ross Tec and if so does anybody know how please

You might want to check out the following thread on the VCDS forum. The OP had the same issue on a 2014 A6, so in theory this should work on the D4. Posts #6 and #8 are the important ones:

https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/22141/

S81 13th February 2022 11:41 AM

Thanks Sean I'll have a look and see how it goes

S81 13th February 2022 02:55 PM

Worked ist time no bother ,thank again Sean