A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21st December 2015, 08:56 PM

Default ABS Fault !!!!!

My 2002 S8 (D2) is due its annual MOT but the ABS light and triangle light are on and I can't get them off. I'm a little confused to say the least and I'd very much appreciate anyone who has any knowledge to chip in.

My VDCS reads the fault as.......

00301 - ABS Return Flow Pump (V39), and the Ross Tech website suggests possible causes are fuse(s), wiring / connectors to the Return Flow Pump, or indeed the pump faulty itself.

My main reason I'm confused here is that I can reset the lights with my VDCS and while the car ticks over or even if I rev the car they won't ever come on, but the minute I start to crawl forward both lights come on again at about 10 mph without even touching the brake pedal. In my own mind the fact that I can reset the lights suggests to me that it isn't an electrical problem, as I assume they wouldn't go out if it was.

1. I have checked the 60A ABS fuse in the boot of the car, and I have also checked the two ABS fuses in the drivers side footwell, and both the 25A and 10A fuses are ok.

2. I have taken the plug off the ABS pump and the connections all look clean. There is a yellow wire with a red band which gets a permanent 12V when I try to start the car, so again, I'm assuming that the fuses and relays are all working fine to give me that.

3. I have checked the 4 wheel sensors and they seem to be functioning correctly.

Googling the fault people say the module attached to the Bosch ABS pump can give trouble, but again, why can I reset my lights if it had a fault ? I also think I read online somewhere that the ABS pump runs for a few seconds on start up just to allow the ABS module to confirm the pump is operational, but if this is true I don't think my pump is turning at all, and if it was the case why does the lights not come on until I start moving the car ?

Confused and not are what to do next. Can anyone enlighten me please ?

Thank you !