A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 9th February 2012, 11:44 AM
Banned

ordered up the 3.7 ones and payed for them they will be with me tomorrow, just the control arms now, thanks for the info guys its been a massive help, hate spending money on the wrong parts, i confirmed that the 3.7 are the same across the bord with all 40v facelift models

will get the arms ordered now and get to work on them on monday morning thanks again for all the help my round at the next meet i think
Old 9th February 2012, 07:50 PM

Default lower front arms

Lower front arms aren't too bad....It's the tops where the pinch bolts seizes which is the real pain....just use plenty of wd40...
Old 10th February 2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanjA8 View Post
.It's the tops where the pinch bolts seizes which is the real pain....just use plenty of wd40...
I had No luck with WD40, Plus Gas, burning torch or air hammer, nothing moved mine. I've ended up getting replacement hub carriers
Factory: Adaptive lights with coming home function, 19" wheels, Solar Sunroof, Bose, Nav, TV, Paddle shift sports wheel, sports suspension, sports seats, rear seats with electric lumbar adjustment, heated seats and climate all round, ski hatch, int light pack, auto dip/fold mirrors, voice command, cordless phone, wooden gear knob, towbar, power boot lid

After: LPG, AMI with HDD

Pending: DVB-T Tuner & fixing niggles

Last edited by Godders; 10th February 2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old 10th February 2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
I had No luck with WD40, Plus Gas, burning torch or air hammer, nothing moved mine. I've ended up getting replacement hub carriers
Why new hub carriers? You could have drilled them out if everything else fails.

Also the problem with WD40 and other penetrating oils is that it cannot penetrate deep in short amount of time and leaving for longer most of it runs off and rest evaporates. What I do is wrap it with rags or paper towels soaked in penetrating oil and leave it overnight to soak.

Quote:
ordered up the 3.7 ones and payed for them they will be with me tomorrow, just the control arms now, thanks for the info guys its been a massive help, hate spending money on the wrong parts, i confirmed that the 3.7 are the same across the bord with all 40v facelift models

will get the arms ordered now and get to work on them on monday morning thanks again for all the help my round at the next meet i think
Check handbrake levers that they are moving freely on new calipers and maybe take apart and clean anyway before fitting them.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 10th February 2012, 06:32 AM

WD40 is not a penetrating oil - it's Water Dispersant and the 40 denotes the number of trial brews 'til it worked OK.

I do the wrap in dispersant soaked rags and leave as long as possible - well I used to when I did my own stuff.

After that it's heat - heat nearly always works but it needs real heat, not a silly wee Halfords Gas Burner thing
Old 10th February 2012, 07:41 AM

I use one of the Mapp gas torches when heat is required, a powerful bit of kit that works very well

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 10th February 2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Why new hub carriers? You could have drilled them out if everything else fails.
Tried that before on a Skoda Superb (B5.5) platform and had a disaster as I didn't manage to go square, plus if you get too much heat into one of those bolts, through drilling, they work harden and then you're in a whole heap of trouble and need to replace anyway.

I need the car for work so can't afford to have it in pieces on the drive for a period of time whilst I soak and coax them out.

I'll get these replacements on, soak the bolts on the current carriers (for a long while) and try and get them out - then they'll be up for sale. Another problem is that they can't be knocked out straight on the D3 (not sure about the D2) as the steering knuckle obstructs it's path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloss View Post
WD40 is not a penetrating oil - it's Water Dispersant and the 40 denotes the number of trial brews 'til it worked OK.
Spot on there, thing is a lot of people think WD is a penetrant. I mainly use Plus Gas and have done for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloss View Post
After that it's heat - heat nearly always works but it needs real heat, not a silly wee Halfords Gas Burner thing
We tried that, very large oxy-acetylene set up with a burner, and lots of heat but still no luck.

Previous owner had the top front arms replaced 18 months ago and I bet they didn't replace the pinch bolts (invoice doesn't indicate as such) or grease them as recommended by Audi. Judging on how tight they were (4 ft bar on the nut !) I suspect they overtighted the original bolts and pulled them slightly off 'straight' making them difficult to move.
Factory: Adaptive lights with coming home function, 19" wheels, Solar Sunroof, Bose, Nav, TV, Paddle shift sports wheel, sports suspension, sports seats, rear seats with electric lumbar adjustment, heated seats and climate all round, ski hatch, int light pack, auto dip/fold mirrors, voice command, cordless phone, wooden gear knob, towbar, power boot lid

After: LPG, AMI with HDD

Pending: DVB-T Tuner & fixing niggles

Last edited by Godders; 10th February 2012 at 08:09 AM.