A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 13th April 2012, 07:32 PM

worst car I've bought? none of them, I choose my cars extremely carefully and even though I am rapidly becoming an old man I am still only on car number 6, and still own 3 of them

chonologically....

1984 Fiesta L, with a 1.1 engine and a sunroof. My first wheels, it was instant freedom and I covered soooo many miles in that old lady. I can remember regularly just going "for a drive". Not somewhere, not for something, just for the drive......and in my opinion much better than all my chums cars

1986 Ford Capri laser. My absolute favourite car I have ever owned bar none. It never went wrong, never failed me, never broke, cornered like a rwd coupe should, looked unlike anything else and I could park it within 1" of anything in a car park. Still have the old girl in a garage awaiting the day I find the money to bring her back.

Rant Time....almost all modern cars I have driven (and thats a lot, I use hire cars for work on occasion) I genuinely can't confidently get within 8" of obstructions when parking and end up having to take a second shuffle to get into a bay without incident (unlike the halfwits that seem to navigate by braille using the side of the A8!!). Modern car visibility is diabolical, the windows are microscopic and the blindspots are frankly farcical. Don't beleive me? look at the size of the rear window on any current gen car that you can actually see through, typically 5" around the windowglass is actually tinted disguise to hide the frame, the clear glass area is tiny compared to the same car 2 models ago. The glass area on the old car will be nigh on twice as big. Rant over.

3. 1994 Ford Mondeo. Excelled at nothing, failed at nothing. Perfect commuting car and it just did what I wanted it to do whilst being better at it than its competition, kept the old girl for nearly 5 years.

4. 1999 Alfa 156 lusso. Beautiful to behold, beautiful to listen to. Bought with open eyes knowing older Alfa's could have issues and as long as I got a year I'd would have been a happy bunny. Sold it after 2 years with all the buttons still working and it started first time everytime. Loved it but it was starting to get a few rusty bubbles on the sill join so I sent it away.

5.1998 Audi A8..........3 years and counting, so far so good, slight clunk (sorted) and a failing coil pack (replaced) Rapidly climbing the ladder to favourite car ever, aside from the parking in "normal" parking spots which is a pain in the whole lower back area, if you do get in the dinky spots some clown will either clatter it or park 1/2" off the door so you can't get in the car!

6. 1994 Pug 106 1.4 - been in family for donkeys years, never failed or cost anything but routine servicing and the odd tyre but was worthless at trade in time and much too nice to scrap the poor little scamp so I took him in and use the wee mite for pottering to town or hauling my pushbike too and fro.

Like I say, no bad cars (feel free to argue that!) they all ran like clockwork and even though I've been driving for a long while I buy carefully and keep them until they really are on they're last legs so haven't had many!

I have excluded my 2 "project" cars as they were never my day to day wheels.

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 16th April 2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
Yes, they were Webasto sliding 'canvas' sunroofs on the SD1, also the preceding P6 & P5's had them as options....
Huh!
The sunroof in my SD1 was steel, and you had to slide it back manually, no winder, no tilt, you could only lug it open by force.
So, to open the roof without pulling a muscle, wait for an open stretch of road,drop it down a gear and floor it. The room pretty much opened its self.
BTW this was a 1982 car. Other marques had had winders and electrics on their roof for yonks.
Good ole Leyland pile of 5hite

(that last and gratuitous sentence is just to wind up you misguided SD1 lovers )

Mrs H also had an Uno 70SX in red, and apart from being stinky inside was a lovely motor and totally rust free.
She had a Triumph Acclaim, which I bought for the right money and much to my amazement fell totally in love with. (Maybe I should try another Honda. Naa the 820 & 827 Rovers were significantly crap)
Likewise she had a black MG Meastro 2.0. So many ways to deplore this car, but again, it won me with it's sheer fun-to-drive ways.

Come to think of it she's had more fun cars than me.

I used to choose by looking how much more I could sell for than I was paying.
This delivered some much needed cash to the household and led to some enjoyable drives that common sense would have precluded
Old 16th April 2012, 10:22 PM

Don't think I've ever had a crap car, bought an A8 4.2 off some London drug dealers when I was 17, paid off their debt and collected from a Police compound. Good times. First car I paid for with my own money.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 16th April 2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Don't think I've ever had a crap car, bought an A8 4.2 off some London drug dealers when I was 17, paid off their debt and collected from a Police compound. Good times. First car I paid for with my own money.
Really? Memory problems, or is it a case of Total Beemer block
Old 17th April 2012, 03:10 PM

I've owned something worse than anyone's admitted to here
But I made a 20% profit on it when I scrapped it

I've also owned some fairly good/ interesting vehicles too .....

Other vehicles
1968 Rover P5B Coupe (Modified & V-Quick, but I have to sell this now ... Boo Hoo!)
'92 Mitsubishi Pajero V6 (Petrol) Super Exceed (Gone now)
'06 Harley Davidson Night Train
Oh Yes....... The '98 PF S8!
Old 17th April 2012, 03:36 PM

Don't remind me of my Beemers, I miss them. I'm getting an M3 in the next few months, in fact, most people I know with C5 RS6s have an M3 too.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 20th April 2012, 03:02 PM

Default my list of cars

1st wosley hornet 1961
2nd mini 1275gt 1974
3rd tri dolimite sprint
4th austin princess 2.2
5th jaguar 4.2 saloon 1976
6th rover 2.6 change engine to 3.5 v8
7th ford cortina 2.3 v6
8th mini 1440cc full custom 0 to 60 6.5 sec