A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 17th February 2015, 07:48 PM

Default Agm for me

After the car sitting for two months and starting I can't complain, I also did tests in the car when I first got the battery and deliberately tried to run it down while I monitored the battery manager with vcds, with the stereo on(b&o) seat heating on full whack engine not running I got bored after 30 odd mins when it hadn't dropped enough to reach the first step of the power saving so seems like there's plenty in reserve if your interested it was a Varta silver series AGM I bought.

Old 17th February 2015, 09:12 PM

Yuasa is now an Audi OEM battery as well according to TPS

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 17th February 2015, 11:24 PM

Mine is probably on it's last legs too: I don't think I've ever changed it in the 7 years I've had the car, and after 3 solid days on trickle, the charger indicator is still showing red...

Mind you, it starts ok now, but I'll need to change it before my European road trip in the Spring.

I've been looking at these -
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/971aa0191
and
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/ac...0176&0&cc5_999

plus I've got Kwikfit looking for me for one for about the same price (i.e.about £100).
Old 18th February 2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Yuasa is now an Audi OEM battery as well according to TPS
That's good to know Neil

Just fitted a Yuasa to mine a few weeks ago (coincidentally, didn't know they're now OEM) and it's solved a few niggles and uncertainties that started to occur as the original battery slowly died.

£102 from a local spares retailer

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 18th February 2015, 07:18 AM

I take it that wasn't an AGM battery at that price?

What I've found so far is a Bosch S5 (95Ah, 850CCA)for £98.75 from just car batteries (euro car parts web shop is only slightly dearer at £102.93 and you can collect from local store and avoid postage cost)

The S6 (100Ah, 830CCA) AGM batteries I can't find for less than £158

The Yuasa Silver option has slightly higher specs (100Ah, 900CCA) and can be had for just under £100 from thebatteryshop.co.uk

You have to watch the Bosch handbook for specs - it's wrong for late UK spec batteries, as it suggests the monster battery that Sergey has fitted is standard fit! You'd get a bit of a surprise trying to squeeze that in there unprepared!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 18th February 2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post

The Yuasa Silver option has slightly higher specs (100Ah, 900CCA) and can be had for just under £100 from thebatteryshop.co.uk
That's the fella Adrian. I prefer to buy from someone I can talk, rather than buy online, then if anything goes wrong it's easier to sort. I also like to think I'm doing my bit to keep a small local business afloat rather than frequent Halfrauds and the like

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 18th February 2015, 08:10 AM

I'd love to be able to buy from a local factor, but we've only got the conglomerates around these parts! rents are too pricey in this corner of the world

Can now get the S6 battery from ECP for £151.20 but not sure it's worth the 50% markup on the S5 for my kind of use it would probably be a better choice, as supposedly they lose the sort of % charge over a month that a regular battery will lose in a week, plus they supposedly don't have issues with deep discharge cycling.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 18th February 2015, 08:39 AM

Main and in my mind only benefit for AGM battery is that it will not spill electrolyte when fractured or turned upside down. They need higher charging voltage around 14.8V instead of normal 14-14.4V so it might get undercharged in car that was not designed to be used with AGM batteries from factory which will lead to shortened life.

Difference between S5, S4 and other silver and calcium batteries is that they have small they have small amount of silver, calcium or other exotic metals to reduce electrolysis of water and catalyze water recovery which help to extend battery life by prevention of water loss but have little or no effect to aging due to sulphation. It is hard or next to impossible to open and check electrolyte level in many of these no-maintenance batteries without damage. I prefer low maintenance low cost batteries that do have removable covers for electrolyte level inspection and water top up. These are usually a lot cheaper and come with 2 or 3 year warranty but will last just as long or even longer if you regularly check level and top up.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 18th February 2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
I'd love to be able to buy from a local factor, but we've only got the conglomerates around these parts! rents are too pricey in this corner of the world
This place has to be seen to be believed, think Arkwright, then more eccentric. The various advertising is 1980's at latest but it's a real gem of a place for car parts, he's rarely beaten on price. It actually looks like it hasn't been open since the 80's from the outside if I'm honest

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 18th February 2015, 08:48 AM

Cheers for the explanation - think I'll stick with the original battery type in that case.

I'll stick with the known 'brands' as that's the easiest to find round here and if it does go duff I've got a chance of getting it swapped if necessary. This car may be one of very few where I keep it long enough to require more than 1 battery in my ownership

I don't know anyone with a Halfords trade card, as I suspect that'd make the Yuasa option considerably cheaper!