A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 25th April 2014, 08:39 AM

Yo mate. Sorry, I've been so bloody busy it was unreal. last two weeks 7days a week inc. Good Friday and Monday Bank Holiday.£37k of improvements in 14 days, very stressful.

Did you use Google translator to translate each fault to English, thats what I did in the past. I could get you some info later on about the Gxxx sensor locations if that helps.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 25th April 2014, 08:45 AM

Just doing it now to be honest. (the codes are in HEX so changed them to Decimal)
Looks like the usual suspects seen in this thread:
G290 - 01770 (Temperature Sender)
G291 - 01772 (Level control sensor)
N111 - 01397 (Venting Solenoid)

Will need another compressor as I can't get the head off the current one - saw some new ones on Ebay for £300................

(No worries about getting back - thought you may have been busy...)

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 25th April 2014, 08:50 AM

By the way, when we discussed month or so ago time it takes to raise the from dynamic to comfort. I was moaning about it as after starting the car it was about 30sec mark each time. So I decided to do a output test like Del did, but did't got round it yet. After that I was going to decide about compressor rebuild because of the time it takes to raise suspension.
But, last night, when I got back home I did same test before switching ignition off and on 3 occasions it took only 12sec from Dynamic to Comfort. So it looks like a reservoir tank needs a top up first or valve is not keeping the pressure.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 25th April 2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gninnam View Post
Just doing it now to be honest. (the codes are in HEX so changed them to Decimal)
Looks like the usual suspects seen in this thread:
G290 - 01770 (Temperature Sender)
G291 - 01772 (Level control sensor)
N111 - 01397 (Venting Solenoid)

Will need another compressor as I can't get the head off the current one - saw some new ones on Ebay for £300................

(No worries about getting back - thought you may have been busy...)
I've got same fault for some time now
1 Fault Found:
01772 - Signal from Level Control Pressure Sensor (G291)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 30
Reset counter: 114

Would N111 have something to do with the pressure reservoir tank valve. You said one head is rounded, but is the bolt tighten or not fully.
I'm almost 90% sure you don't need to buy a new compressor.
Is it the bolt which holds the compressor or the head??
If its the head one then there must be a way to get that bolt out. Even by welding a T shape bar, 5mm dia, and then undoing it, or something. Shame we can't see it, it would be much easier to came up with some sort of solution.

300 for a compressor seems cheap, I know A8L Chick was replacing her and it was a nightmare to get the right one, they all seem to be same but there are some differences.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 25th April 2014, 09:03 AM

Sorry, N111 would be by the compressor

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 25th April 2014, 09:27 AM

Cheers.

The bolts are tight - I welded on a not to the top and even that snapped off (set my welder to max amps too).
The two bolts hold the head on - once this is off you can then get to the piston ring and replace.

The company reckons that they are from the same company that Audi gets them from! See http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/compressor...item25795667db

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
I've got same fault for some time now
1 Fault Found:
01772 - Signal from Level Control Pressure Sensor (G291)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 30
Reset counter: 114

Would N111 have something to do with the pressure reservoir tank valve. You said one head is rounded, but is the bolt tighten or not fully.
I'm almost 90% sure you don't need to buy a new compressor.
Is it the bolt which holds the compressor or the head??
If its the head one then there must be a way to get that bolt out. Even by welding a T shape bar, 5mm dia, and then undoing it, or something. Shame we can't see it, it would be much easier to came up with some sort of solution.

300 for a compressor seems cheap, I know A8L Chick was replacing her and it was a nightmare to get the right one, they all seem to be same but there are some differences.

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 25th April 2014, 11:03 AM

OK, that looks interesting I have to say. New compressor, 330quid, well worth it IF there is no way to undo the bolts.
It says 10 or 12 cylinder engines only. It doesnt fit 4.2. Have they got one for your engine??

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 25th April 2014, 12:39 PM

They had loads more - that was the first I came across when searching E-Bay

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 10th May 2014, 04:24 PM

oticed over the last few days that after the suspension failure, that the offside rear seemed a lot lower than all the others.
After if failed today and putting it on the drive I got the tape measure out.
Apart from the offside rear, from the floor to the centre of the arch measured 73 cm.
The other one measured 70 cm.
After turning the engine on and selecting high three of them went to 75 cm while the offside only to 73.
It did eventually raise to 75 cm.

Will keep an eye on it as my drive aint level but it could be a leak or something.
Cheers

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 10th May 2014, 05:20 PM

Calibration would be ideal in this situation, twice tbh, just to level it up.
But you will need VCDS for it.
You could try the cable I gave you, but if it goes to limp mode cos you can do calibration with this cable, then you will need VCDS.
That isn't a problem because if you need it (emergency) I could always send you my cable via Special Delivery.
Calibration should be possible via this cable as it's nothing really advanced.

There could be a leak on that wheel as well, you could check that with a soapy water first.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10