A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   WITW - Barn-find Final Edition (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16187)

strummagnet 11th April 2023 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 172689)

One year I forgot and the weather was awful, complete with a deep flood only a couple of hundred yards from the test centre. Fortunately the technician had the common sense to "rev the nuts off it" on the ramp when he realised it had got cold and wet on the way there, so it passed. :ROFL:

The heavens opened up here on my way to the test station today and i only travelled a few miles. Longer run tomorrow.. +++

strummagnet 13th April 2023 11:15 AM

Well the car went back after a 'very spirited' 30 mile drive. Re-test and still failed.

The Tester wouldnt "rev the nuts out of it" as its 'not policy' but suggested a more mechanically sympathetic organisation might be a better bet. :-(:(

Anything obvious I should (with my limited skill set) look at? I do have VCDS lite.:rolleyes:

Ronin 13th April 2023 01:17 PM

Befriend a dodgy MOT tester, preferably one that does all the taxi drivers where you live ;)

strummagnet 13th April 2023 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 172719)
Befriend a dodgy MOT tester, preferably one that does all the taxi drivers where you live ;)

Mr Ronin :tuttut::D

I have spoken to a 'sympathetic' MOT tester today who has managed to fit me in for Monday at the earliest.

MikkiJayne 13th April 2023 05:11 PM

My MoT guys gently let off the throttle after the fast idle test to allow everything to stabilise gently. They take it from ~2500-3000 rpm back to idle over about 5-10 seconds rather than just taking the foot straight off. That allows the closed-loop control to sort everything out by the time the machine takes its reading. If you just close the throttle and hit the test button the mixture can still be a bit rich and cause this sort of problem, on older cats.

strummagnet 17th April 2023 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 172721)
My MoT guys gently let off the throttle after the fast idle test to allow everything to stabilise gently. They take it from ~2500-3000 rpm back to idle over about 5-10 seconds rather than just taking the foot straight off. That allows the closed-loop control to sort everything out by the time the machine takes its reading. If you just close the throttle and hit the test button the mixture can still be a bit rich and cause this sort of problem, on older cats.

Well MOT day again. I explained the above guidance and the MOT tester understood what needed to be done.

He had to adjust the main beam.

Passed with zero advisories. +++

sarg 17th April 2023 04:44 PM

Great news +++

My MOT tester told me his rule of thumb is whether the car is likely to kill you or somebody else, if not then it passes.

tonupkid 17th April 2023 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarg (Post 172761)
Great news +++

My MOT tester told me his rule of thumb is whether the car is likely to kill you or somebody else, if not then it passes.

But surely, one look at the driver and it'd be a fail :ROFL:

Conan_the_Librarian 18th April 2023 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonupkid (Post 172762)
but surely, one look at the driver and it'd be a fail :rofl:

:rofl:

tc4332 18th April 2023 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonupkid (Post 172762)
But surely, one look at the driver and it'd be a fail :ROFL:

Naughty Nick!
Shades of pot and kettle.

But then I can't talk.