A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   No Indicators at all from the stalk? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14586)

RS6 10th November 2018 05:27 PM

No Indicators at all from the stalk?

Hi guys tonight just filled up with petrol went to use the indicators nothing!

really helpul in the dark, checked with the hazard button indicators all work fine all round the car no bulb issues

Where do i look to find the problem?

Is it a fuse somewhere?

steamship 10th November 2018 06:35 PM

Assuming that everything else is working in the car (instrument illumination, front cigarette lighter, glove compartment, rear ashtrays, air conditioner controls, telephone, license plate lights and tail lights in rear lid, fog light relay), then the likely culprit is the hazard warning switch itself. Apparently it has two circuits in it, one for the hazards and one for the indicators. If however, the items in brackets above don't work either, then it's a 10 amp fuse, third from left in the red bank of fuses.

RS6 10th November 2018 06:59 PM

steamship thankyou!! for your quick reply everything you stated in brackets is working perfectly so im leaning towards the hazard switch itself? the carpets are a bit wet on the passenger side not much more i can do tonight though still raining!

Is the switch still available from Audi parts does anyone know or shall i look up A8 parts for their help this is the part number -4D0941509D :Confused: also checked on ebay would this part be fitted to lots of audi's around this time any help be great people!

MikkiJayne 10th November 2018 07:08 PM

D2 only so unlikely to be available still. I'd just call A8parts on Monday - I expect they have a box of them +++

RS6 10th November 2018 07:09 PM

MikkiJayne just bought one from a8 parts on ebay +++ hopefully get me working again not new but fingers crossed will work!

HPsauce 11th November 2018 12:38 AM

Pretty sure I have the guts of a hazard switch available here too.
Ah, is this PF or FL: very different!

RS6 11th November 2018 05:34 PM

ordered a FL one +++

vagdream 11th November 2018 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RS6 (Post 146197)

really helpul in the dark, checked with the hazard button indicators all work fine all round the car no bulb issues

Where do i look to find the problem?

Is it a fuse somewhere?

Had a similar failure on my S8 earlier this year on the way to the MOT station! Fixed with a new relay.

tonupkid 11th November 2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RS6 (Post 146197)

Check the badge. Perhaps you've got into a BMW in error

briang9 11th November 2018 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vagdream (Post 146222)
Had a similar failure on my S8 earlier this year on the way to the MOT station! Fixed with a new relay.

Maybe the water ingress has damaged the relay?

RS6 12th November 2018 08:44 AM

its also possible its the relay as well then will keep you posted, would the indicators not work though when the hazard button is pushed? :Confused:

HPsauce 12th November 2018 08:47 AM

Different components powering the same circuits.

RS6 12th November 2018 09:53 AM

Thanks andrew does the relay have number on it? or part number? :Confused:

HPsauce 12th November 2018 10:06 AM

Unfortunately I don't know where the relay(s) are, probably in the passenger footwell panel though.
I don't even know if the flashers and indicators use separate relays or there's a combined unit. :o

I think the way most such systems work is by closing the circuit on the "earth" side; the bulbs will have a common +12V supply (fused) but are then earthed by the relevant relay(s) to light them up.

Some relevant information here but for US models, there's probably better stuff that others will know: https://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/threads/3006.phtml

HPsauce 12th November 2018 02:42 PM

I just had a look in my Bentley manual and can only see one flasher relay, it's on a panel in the cabin, presumably somewhere under the front passengers feet.

Problem is the Bentley manual only shows the rather different USA (LHD) layout.....

vagdream 12th November 2018 03:25 PM

As I recall the relay was 'above' the passenger's feet and behind the glovebox, so 'reasonably' accessible.

HPsauce 12th November 2018 04:49 PM

Not specific, but may help narrow things down: https://www.quora.com/Why-do-my-haza...y-turn-signals
With the symptoms you describe (and assuming there's a single common flasher relay) I'd probably investigate in the sequence fuse, hazards switch, wiring....

notorious 12th November 2018 09:01 PM

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7454

Don’t thank me +++

HPsauce 12th November 2018 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RS6 (Post 146204)
the carpets are a bit wet on the passenger side

This was the first clue as to an underlying cause.

And this is a possible effect:
Quote:

Originally Posted by briang9 (Post 146226)
Maybe the water ingress has damaged the relay?

Though the fact that the emergency flashers still work suggest that may not be the whole story. Is the indicator stalk function separately fused?

So the carpets need to come up and the cover off the panel and everything dried out.

RS6 13th November 2018 05:40 PM

i will keep this thread updated +++

Car is going in for its mot tomorrow, garage has lined up a few jobs so will get them to investigate further, hopefully the hazard switch will turn up so that can also be tested if its not a relay! i had a good look in the passenger side fuse box sunday under the wood all looks dry in there be it a bit damp on the floor so dried it out as best i could, bit hard to see when it keeps raining all the time, took me ages to get the wood back on and lined up again :ROFL:

HPsauce 13th November 2018 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RS6 (Post 146264)
took me ages to get the wood back on and lined up again :ROFL:

In the short term you don't need all the fixings, maybe just one screw is enough.
But you do need to make sure that the heavy insulating/waterproof layers that overlap it at the top are in the right place.

moltuae 13th November 2018 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RS6 (Post 146264)
took me ages to get the wood back on and lined up again :ROFL:

It is a fiddly job that's for sure, made all the more difficult by having to contort yourself upside-down in the footwell! Always takes me ages to get the damn thing back on too!

The wood, compressed cardboard, or whatever it is, is awful too. I replaced mine a couple of years ago with 'tile-backer' board lined with foam rubber:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11673

RS6 17th November 2018 06:38 PM

Mark good work with that custom fix +++

I heard back from the garage friday!

Well it wasn't the hazard switch unfortunately...

The fault has been traced to a relay on the part of the electric circuit / board which has corroded terminals. It has corroded because where this electric circuit sits (passenger side under the carpet up by the back of the glove box) is full of water.

All blockages up around the scuttle panel and drain tubes have now been cleaned out and there is no ingress into the car on this side

some of the corroded wires have now been repaired and it looks like just the one relay will be required arriving monday

Cars also in for MOT, service, coilovers and wheel spacers +++

MikkiJayne 17th November 2018 06:42 PM

Exactly per Sergey's thread then! Have you done Botang's hole?

RS6 17th November 2018 07:17 PM

I have sent the instructions over hopefully they can block it off +++

RS6 19th November 2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 146306)
Exactly per Sergey's thread then! Have you done Botang's hole?

Big thanks to Sergey's thread! garage followed the guide and blocked off the hole +++

notorious 19th November 2018 09:53 PM

+++