A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   House and Home DIY (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Long overdue work to our little '30s semi (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10877)

Johnmed 27th November 2015 09:31 AM

Long overdue work to our little '30s semi

10 Attachment(s)
Having watched our little house look shabbier by the year since we bought it, the father in law and I have started to re-render the first floor. Weather has suspended play since we completed the scratch coat. So that will have to wait for now.

We decided to get a fella in to do the drive. He did two of the neighbours' drives last year. Word of mouth is invaluable/ Does a very good and proper job.

Still need to strip the paint off the brick (who paints brick:Confused::Confused:?????). Anyone knows what's best for that, the bricks underneath are engineering brick, so pretty damn tough. Renew the lead flashing and probably the tiles above the bay, as they've ALSO been painted:Confused::Confused::Confused:

Anyway, here's some photos.

Johnmed 27th November 2015 09:36 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Even managed to remove the 'roof garden' from the gutter and downpipe. We'll be replacing the downpipe too. As its grey and been painted black:Confused::Confused::Confused:

Then refurb the gates and job's a good 'n'.

mattylondon 27th November 2015 09:48 AM

You can get products, such as Langlow Strip Away, which are caustic and can liquidise the paint. Don't use anything abrasive as you can damage the face, even engineering bricks, leaving them porous where damage has occurred - potential moss growth and damage from frost thaw cycles.

Coming together nicely +++

Johnmed 27th November 2015 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattylondon (Post 103100)
You can get products, such as Langlow Strip Away, which are caustic and can liquidise the paint. Don't use anything abrasive as you can damage the face, even engineering bricks, leaving them porous where damage has occurred - potential moss growth and damage from frost thaw cycles.

Coming together nicely +++

Thanks Matt. Your knowledge astounds again.

mattylondon 27th November 2015 10:22 AM

Currently renovating our house. At one point you could walk in the door and see the roof tiles!

Delboy 27th November 2015 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattylondon (Post 103103)
Currently renovating our house. At one point you could walk in the door and see the roof tiles!

I know that feeling all too well, never again.

Johnmed 9th May 2016 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After a long wet winter, writing my dissertation for my MA, and the 75 year old Pa in law recovering from his broken ankle.... We boxed off the render. I sorted the gates out with some new wood and gave the front an undercoat and top coat today. Now I need to strip the painted brick and tidy stuff up, oh and paint the other two walls.

Dezzy 9th May 2016 04:29 PM

Ooow pretty.

I'm not sure if you can still buy brick acid?

Turbo Tony 9th May 2016 04:57 PM

That looks great! It's a real improvement. +++

Johnmed 9th May 2016 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 111858)
Ooow pretty.

I'm not sure if you can still buy brick acid?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo Tony (Post 111859)
That looks great! It's a real improvement. +++

Thanks.

It's not the fanciest house. But it's all ours and a bit of TLC is going a long way.