A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 31st May 2015, 07:37 PM

Default Bad TV signal, what are common causes?

Fitted my hybrid TV yesterday and have found the signal is appalling, i can't even get the radio stations, when I plugged it in and checked for fault codes it didn't show anything, what I did notice is if you have TV function selected it comes up with a diagnostic screen, and on this diagnostic screen it was telling me that I was only receiving a signal from aerial 3, normally would I be receiving something from all antennas? Or does it switch between antennas shutting off the others?

I read that you can also change the function of the antennas, does anyone know the adaption channel?

I've got the DAB unit to install soon but it'll be naff if the signal is just as bad.

I've read that the aerial amplifiers can go duff easily, can they be replaced? I'd rather replace than buy a whole second hand unit if I can

Thanks for any advice guys
Old 31st May 2015, 08:54 PM

The DAB retrofit guide on here shows the location of the aerial amplifier. They can and do fail, and I was advised that I may find them failed if I were to retrofit DVB-T

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8151
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 1st June 2015, 06:37 AM

Thanks for that, I've already been brushing up on what to do so have read the threa already , have you any idea on what parts of the amplifier go bust? The predicament is I either buy brand new at close to £300 or buy a second hand unit that may already be as bad or might not last very long, what if like to do is replace what ever is blown on the unit so I know it'll last a while longer
Old 1st June 2015, 08:48 AM

Not sure about TV aerial amplifier on D3 but on D2 radio/phone aerial amplifier/splitter common problem is dry solder joints. I also had them on mine, so might be worth checking, open it up and resolder joints where wires com in.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 1st June 2015, 10:51 AM

Thanks that's not a bad shout, I'll get my iron out and go over what I can see, the module is in the roof by the way just above the rear screen, it's a PCB with Fakra connections all over it, I've yet to open one up so not sure what's inside.
Old 7th June 2015, 08:23 PM

Well got my DAB and DVB working now still think I've a signal issue, took the aerial out earlier today and the circuitry of the aerial is encased in rubber so I'll just have to look for a replacement.

Note to self, make sure the most loop is running the right way round or be prepared to wonder why everything isn't working properly and the MMI is freaking out, I was hanging all day today though as I was on the sauce last night, started to get peed off when I couldn't figure out what was going on

Iv also got to get the DAB aerial sorted out as at the moment I'm just using the FM aerial from the radio, I'm getting there though
Old 12th June 2015, 08:47 PM

Well I tried to get to the circuitry of the aerial and it's like a bonded rubber over the top making it difficult to peel off without damaging the components underneath and then getting it back on.

I got an AK aerial off some German spares website for £75 iirc so hopefully I have normal TV and reception resolved, if I get bored I can fit telestart on the Webasto too now