A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 10th May 2014, 01:02 PM

Default A8 2004 DAB Retrofit

So I finally managed to fit my DAB module today, so thought I would write it up. I like OEM, so decided to use the correct amplifier and antenna. Mine is a 2004 D3, and so just has the one amplifier array in the back window – after much searching of ETKA, I deduced that the amplifiers are different depending on if you have TV etc, but the rear screens are all the same (phew).

So, now to the kit – you will need:
DAB module – 4E0035563 (between £80 and £120 on ebay), slightly cheaper from german ebay

MOST & Power Harness – I got this one (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121322463251) as I didn’t fancy dismantling the connectors with the cheaper ones

Antenna amplifier – 4E0035225AL (or AH) which includes TV, DAB and remote heater- hard work this one, finally found one on Allegro in Poland for £65

Antenna cable – FAKRA both ends, and I wanted a right angle connector to be neat and make sure it fitted under the trim.Now there are load of different FAKRAs each colour is keyed differently so they aren’t interchangeable – but the light blue “z” types are universal, so I bought this 2m lead from Poland http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120994817615

So, once everything is assembled, it’s time to fit it all.

Firstly, remove the left side boot trim (remove the plastic trim at the entrance to the boot by pulling the 3 poppers at the bottom, and then pulling it out, remove the boot liner, cargo hooks and for good measure I also removed the parcel shelf liner of the boot – sorry no pictures of this.

This gave good access to the media rack and cable runs and let me install the DAB module next to the amp – I pulled the MOST and power cable from the amp, plugged them into the new harness and then re-connected the amp and the DAB module.

Inside the car, you will need to remove the trim covering the antenna amplifier – it’s just held on by poppers, but I used a trim tool from the rear so that I didn’t deform the headlining. I also needed to remove the trim covering the pillar (the D pillar) to get access to the cable route. Remove the coat hook plus the screw underneath the coat hook , the handle and a screw by the rear windscreen then just unclip the trim and pull up away from the rear of the car. There is an airbag under here, so be careful!

Now you are ready to replace the amplifier and link it up. Carefully unclip the amplifier array from the holder stuck to the window and unclip all of the existing cables. Put the new array in its place, and re-connect the existing cables – you now have a new amplifier installed.

All that’s now needed is to run the cable from the DAB to the amplifier – under the parcel shelf, you can trace the route of the existing antenna cables. Carefully pushing a piece of wire (I used a single core of mains cable), after many attempts you will be able to see the end of the cable (through the back window) popping up next to the other cables. I removed the outer plastic housing of the FAKRA cable and taped it to the wire to pull it back through.

After that, all you need do it plug the cables in and enjoy DAB before putting the trim back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amplifier locations.png
Views:	804
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	8019   Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna connections.png
Views:	777
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	8020   Click image for larger version

Name:	ETKA 2013 & ELSA 2012-2014-05-10-13-58-04.png
Views:	752
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	8021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019.JPG
Views:	1027
Size:	712.1 KB
ID:	8022   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0020.JPG
Views:	831
Size:	686.8 KB
ID:	8023   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	459.2 KB
ID:	8024   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	8025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	490.4 KB
ID:	8026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0026.JPG
Views:	825
Size:	521.9 KB
ID:	8027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0028.JPG
Views:	803
Size:	529.0 KB
ID:	8028  

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain

Last edited by Somerandomguy; 10th May 2014 at 01:13 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 10th May 2014, 01:08 PM

Thanks for that write up - added to sticky

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 10th May 2014, 03:39 PM

Very good write-up sir!

You've clearly done a lot of research on this - did you find a way to test the amplifier in any way before installing? I have a problem with my DAB radio reception which I've written about in a different thread. I suspect the amplifier is faulty (no fault codes though), but haven't found a way to test it. I have tested the DAB-radio with external aerial - worked fine, but like you I would rather keep it OEM.
Old 10th May 2014, 05:35 PM

No, I didn't - I tested the DAB radio by using one of the TV antenna connections to tune it in as with no connection it did throw an open circuit error on the antenna.

Thinking about it, this may be a way of testing the DAB antenna - if you have a TV, then you could plug one of the TV leads onto the DAB output of the amp (you'll need to take the FAKRA housing off I suspect) and there is a VCDS test that displays the antenna info on the TV screen so should show if one of them is very low..I'll see if I can find the info

EDIT:
This was the article where I read about the diagnostic info:
http://a6retrofit.tripod.com/article...5hybridtv.html

near the bottom it says
Interestingly, if you have the TV tuner selected when fiddling with the 57 TV Tuner box via VAG COM, the TV Tuner video will show all kinds of diagnostics information, like antenna reception values and temperature
I do remember doing this myself when I put the digital TV in - hope this helps

Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb

Last edited by Somerandomguy; 10th May 2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11th May 2014, 08:40 PM

Thanks a lot, I'll try that when I get a chance. I have the analogue TV.
Old 12th May 2014, 08:41 PM

Great install mate, I love when the job is done very well
And a nice write up which is always a pleasure to read.

Do you need a TV to have DAB?? Is it more hassle if there is no TV??

Cheers

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 12th May 2014, 09:10 PM

No, the tv is not required at all,not having one should mean there is a wider choice of amps.

Buying from Poland did have its down side-the seller happened to have a full reverse camera set for sale which I just couldn't resist!

BTW were you in Bexley on Friday. I'm sure I saw a similar 8 to yours sail past as I was leaving work?

Last edited by Somerandomguy; 12th May 2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12th May 2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomguy View Post
No, the tv is not required at all,not having one should mean there is a wider choice of amps.

Buying from Poland did have its down side-the seller happened to have a full reverse camera set for sale which I just couldn't resist!

BTW were you in Bexley on Friday. I'm sure I saw a similar 8 to yours sail past as I was leaving work?
We've got so many stolen high end class (especially from Germany) and plenty of them are stripped for parts, every single bit. One profession you don't want to be know for is car theft , but.....
I get stuff either from Poland or Germany, way much cheaper, but not all of it.

One of the suppliers I use has a full reversing camera set for 250quid, I'm still resisting tho...

Anyway, good to know TV is not required. On of things I'm missing but not that desperate to have it, little one always got her iPad and I'm always focused on the road, no use of TV for me, but it would be nice to have a DAB.

If you saw a same colour 8 on these wheels then I'm 100% sure it was me because the only other same colour 8 on exact wheels I saw was in US and thats how I fell in love with this alloy design and colour combination
7 months of searching and I finally got them

After 10 I was all over Bexley but around 1pm I made my way from Greenwhich via A206, quick stop in Erith, then A206 again and right turn on the Ford roundabout towards Crayford where I was dropping car off for wheels refurb

Difficult to judge by your profile picture, but I've got a feeling you were living at the top of Eversley Avenue and parking your car on the pavement outside your house???? Black PF D3????

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 13th May 2014, 05:09 AM

I sold my old A6 to a chap from Poland and I got the distinct impression that was getting stripped for parts too, he wasn't concerned about any of the faults (including a split exhaust manifold) and took it out of the country the very next day. You'll have a much harder time fitting the reverse camera without the TV though, but theres a great thread on Audi World where one of the guys there adds the missing components to the control head I think it is http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2844989 which is well worth a read.

I actually live down in Tonbridge, but work in Bexley/Dartford, so I'm afraid the Eversley Avenue D3 isn't me. I didn't spot the wheels, just the colour and a similar looking number plate (couldn't read it in the rear view mirror) and thought it looked familiar. There does seem to be a few D3 around SE london and kent but never ones that I recognise, and it just wouldn't be cool to wave at them would it......like this !

Old 13th May 2014, 06:28 AM

It could be for spares or conversion which is very popular as well, one, used cars here are very cheap, well, they loose value quickly where back there cars keep their value, two, as used parts market is huge therefore doing conversion is easy and fairly cheap.

Anyway. I am around Bexley as I lived there for years until 3 years ago when I had to move to SE due to work, plus my daughter attends school in Bexley and I work for Bexley on top of it, but as I'm the co-founder of new Dartford Round Table, I spend a lot of time in the area, plus lots of mates lives in Dartford and Kent area and we do attend various events mainly in Kent.

Next time you see me don't be shy to and I will

About the camera, I do like some of the gadgets but I'm kind of a old fashion guy, I'm more focused on the look and especially exhaust sound, big fan of V8s , I'm not against it, but thankfully I'm missing stuff which isn't that important to me, TV and camera and acc, got kessy, bt, vc etc which are more use to me. I'm good with just the parking aid and my spacial awareness
But saying that, I like adding stuff for pure joy and satisfaction, just don't have that much spare time in last few months.

I would rather spend 400quid on a gearbox remap than on a tv lets say

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10