A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 12th July 2016, 06:05 AM

Strength no issue, there is a huge safety factor in them i'm sure. Just look at it. Or lay it down next to the jack. I reckon you could pick the whole car off the ground with the tow bar

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 12th July 2016, 08:33 AM

However, Dezzy, the manual (who reads that!) states in bold that the maximum vertical force should not exceed 95kg. So i guess the towbar fixings are designed to accept 2300kg (+safety margin) in a fore and aft direction but only around 5% of that in the vertical. Therefore two average adults would exceed the designed max load though there wont be too much dynamic loading unless..... i dont want to even imagine that
Old 12th July 2016, 08:38 AM

95kg is the static nose weight, when your doing 70mph and bounce over a pothole with a trailer hitched I'd imagine that would increase significantly momentarily.

So long as you don't use your hammock at speed I don't think you will do any harm
Old 12th July 2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Strength no issue, there is a huge safety factor in them i'm sure. Just look at it. Or lay it down next to the jack. I reckon you could pick the whole car off the ground with the tow bar
I was meaning the location of the weld may compromise strength and the "safety factor"
Old 12th July 2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
However, Dezzy, the manual (who reads that!) states in bold that the maximum vertical force should not exceed 95kg. So i guess the towbar fixings are designed to accept 2300kg (+safety margin) in a fore and aft direction but only around 5% of that in the vertical. Therefore two average adults would exceed the designed max load though there wont be too much dynamic loading unless..... i dont want to even imagine that
Yeah agree David totally i looked when i was dragging the trailer around. But i thought that was more of a towing thing to get the trailer or towed sat with the car to reduce the risk of swaying or what ever its called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
I was meaning the location of the weld may compromise strength and the "safety factor"
not to the point you'd have to worry about it with a couple hundred kilos. We're talking small weights really. An inch of "good" weld will hold a ton.
Obviously as soon as you do weld it you'd loose all manufactures type approval.
I'd be happy sat on that put it that way, although one thing i would do is radius those corners with 10mm rad min. If you were to shin one of those it would hurt...... for hours

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 3rd April 2017, 03:08 AM

did anyone try this????
BMW 850i - Red 6speed
BMW 850Csi - Red 6speed
Ford Thunderbird x 3 Supercharged & 5speeds
Mustang convertible
Range Rover Autobiography - BRG/English Tan