A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 1st November 2011, 09:59 PM

Default Immobiliser Wire

My car had classic symptoms of a faulty immobiliser wire from the ignition barrel to the immobiliser.

The symptoms are...'when you start the car it cuts out after 2 seconds and the immobiliser light is flashing on the dash'

The repair for this is on audi pages and the part number for the wire also, which can be bought for about 15 quid from tps.

Anyways the guide on audipages.com is good, however it doesnt show clearly where the immobiliser wire goes from the ignition barrel, and how to change the immobiliser wire in the white immobiliser connector. So thought I would add a few tips here.

1. The immobiliser sits tucked up under the dash on the driver side....to the left of the of the steering wheel.

2. The white connector as shown in audipages.com sits in a black connector, which connects to the immobiliser module.

3. If you make a thin little metal prong, you can actually get the little metal connectors to slip out of the white connector by pushing the metal prong into the appropriate hole at the front of the white connector.

I have had the above problem since I have owned the car for over a year and a half. At first it wasnt too bad, but recently I was struggling to start the car quite alot.

I changed the wire a couple of days ago, and since doing my fuel economy has actually gone up and the car is driving better. So would certainly recommend doing if you have symptoms.

I ll take some pictures for the above tips soon.
Old 1st November 2011, 11:14 PM

Good info Ranj! Added to sticky. . .

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 11th February 2013, 03:44 PM

Cheers Ranj!
Old 19th October 2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanjS8 View Post
My car had classic symptoms of a faulty immobiliser wire from the ignition barrel to the immobiliser.

The symptoms are...'when you start the car it cuts out after 2 seconds and the immobiliser light is flashing on the dash'

The repair for this is on audi pages and the part number for the wire also, which can be bought for about 15 quid from tps.

Anyways the guide on audipages.com is good, however it doesnt show clearly where the immobiliser wire goes from the ignition barrel, and how to change the immobiliser wire in the white immobiliser connector. So thought I would add a few tips here.

1. The immobiliser sits tucked up under the dash on the driver side....to the left of the of the steering wheel.

2. The white connector as shown in audipages.com sits in a black connector, which connects to the immobiliser module.

3. If you make a thin little metal prong, you can actually get the little metal connectors to slip out of the white connector by pushing the metal prong into the appropriate hole at the front of the white connector.

I have had the above problem since I have owned the car for over a year and a half. At first it wasnt too bad, but recently I was struggling to start the car quite alot.

I changed the wire a couple of days ago, and since doing my fuel economy has actually gone up and the car is driving better. So would certainly recommend doing if you have symptoms.

I ll take some pictures for the above tips soon.
did you ever get those pics ?

i get the "moduel incorrectly coded" code ... dont know what to do ... my car was without a battery for 8 months as it was getting a new fuel pump and assembly installed... but right after that i drove it to NC about a 10hr drive . then drove it back no problems too - now it just starts some days and sometimes it wont start for days... dont know what to do ...
Old 19th October 2013, 08:01 PM

There's a sticky from AudiPages in this section that shows how it's done.

I used it and it works, the wire cost me £20 and it's been well worth getting the fault sorted

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 17th March 2016, 05:05 PM

Default immobiliser wiring

Hi

Am new here.

Just had the same problem described. Called Audi parts and they said the immobiliser wiring does not "exist" for my car. Its only available up to model 1999.

2002 Audi S8.

Can anyone please advise. Thank you very much, Shak
Old 17th March 2016, 05:39 PM

The immobiliser is built in to the cluster on 99> facelift cars so you won't have a separate wire or immobiliser box, which is what I think the original post is referring to.

In the facelift cars the wiring is just part of the main dash harness, but not immune to problems - usually its the small black plug in the reader coil attached to the ignition barrel. That is either loose or the connections aren't tight enough on the pins. Sometimes it's enough to just pull the plug and reconnect it. I had an A4 in which had the same symptoms but if you thumped the column it would start right up. Re-seating the connector solved that. Just picked up a TT with a similar problem too so will be investigating that shortly.

Not sure whether the D2 has the same reader coil as the other models, as thats one of the few areas of mine I haven't taken apart yet and I can't remember from the last one I had in bits. Maybe someone else can help on that
Old 7th June 2016, 09:46 AM

Hi all. Sorry for the hijack but have to do this myself as getting worse now. Only prob is I don't have my radio code so can I get away with just pulling the airbag fuse?
Thanks