A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - General

For Sale and Wanted - General Posting for buying / selling your own personal non vehicle related items

Old 20th December 2011, 01:56 PM

Default Volkswagen Touareg 4,2 V8 For 2012...

Hey guys!

Due to family expansion, I'll be looking to procure a 2005/6 Volkswagen Touareg sometime next year. Like the S8, there's no manual option, bar the smaller-engined models - the 3,2 VR6 and R5 TDI, which were available with the 6-speed manual. I'm not really keen on those though.

I'm looking at the 4,2 V8 40V, or 4,2 V8 32V FSI, price dependent. These have the 6-ratio automatic (TR-60SN) by Aisin. These have their own bugbears, but nowhere near as bad as the ZF in our D2's.

My choice of SUV would have been the Audi Q7 - full size, more luxurious and less common than the Touareg, but still way out of my price range.

I love the Touareg R50 - I test drove one, and the presence on the road is remarkable. Unique bodykit, 22" wheels as standard and HUGE brakes! The only aspect that puts me off is access to commonly-replaced parts. I replaced a rigid water pipe on a regular V10 TDI in the summer, and it was one nasty job - I was close to pulling the engine and tranny. Even replacing the pre-catalyst Lambda Sond's requires an engine pull - no other way.

My plan is to buy a 4,2 V8, and fit the R50 kit. I have the lot, stockpiled over the last couple of years, bar the rear bumper and half of the nearside rear arch extension. I also have a set of used R50 wheels, though they're all scuffed, one has a small chunk out of the outer rim, which will also repair.

Does anyone have any experience with the Touareg, any engine option?

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 20th December 2011, 02:15 PM

I know Kim at QST had a v10 which blew something expensive (circa £5k IIRC) - think you're spot on that most jobs are easiest done by pulling the motor....

There's a bloke with a v10 with r50 body kit on AudiSRS which looks and goes extremely well

http://audisrs.com/about31106.html

I'd defo have a toerag if I could justify it - my fav 4x4 and manages to look more compact than its cousin. A Range rover would be my next choice
Old 20th December 2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
I know Kim at QST had a v10 which blew something expensive (circa £5k IIRC)

I'd defo have a toerag if I could justify it - my fav 4x4 and manages to look more compact than its cousin. A Range rover would be my next choice
5 grand's a lot of bread...that must have hurt pretty bad.

Yeah, the Audi Q7 is a lot bigger - it shares the PL71 platform with the Volkswagen Touareg and Porsche Cayenne, but it was widened and lengthened for the Q7, hence it is in the full-size luxury SUV class. The Touareg is mid-size crossover SUV.

The black V10 TDI with the R50 kit looks awesome.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 20th December 2011, 02:46 PM

I had a 56 plate 3.0 TDI Altitude in deep blue with a cream interior. 19" rims and xenons. Absolutelty loved it. Only ever managed about 25mpg though.

God i miss that car. Make sure you get a good warranty!!