A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 26th December 2011, 12:19 PM

Default Fault Code P0174 anyone help?

I had forgotten that we had a generic fault code reader at home, so plugged it into the S8 this am to see if I could shed some light on the Engine Management Light suddenly coming on - it's given a Fault Code P0174 System too lean Bank 2, whatever that means - could one of the more knowledgeable members give me some info on this and if its serious / expensive / urgent or not?

After three weeks of no success trying to find a local Audi tech, when I realised we had the reader, I thought I'd check and see what it said........
Old 26th December 2011, 02:00 PM

Lazy O2 sensor, post-catalyst. Replace, clear code, and all will be well.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 26th December 2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nollywood View Post
Lazy O2 sensor, post-catalyst. Replace, clear code, and all will be well.
I am sorry, I cannot agree- post catalyst O2 sensor only monitors catalyst and would not throw this code but another for catalyst not functioning properly.

This could be pre cat O2 sensor, air/vacuum leak, dirty/faulty injector or cambelt timing off.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 26th December 2011, 03:07 PM

16558/P0174 - System Too Lean, Bank 2

Possible Symptoms
Irregular behaviour

Possible Causes
Fuel system
Excessive fuel pressure
Leaking or contaminated fuel injectors
Leaking fuel pressure regulator
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
Vapor recovery system
Air leaks after the MAF
Vacuum leaks
Improper seated engine oil dipstick
Stuck EGR valve
Oil overfill
Cam timing
Cylinder compression
Exhaust leaks before or near HO2Ss.

Special Notes

Also see: Fuel Trim Info

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 26th December 2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I am sorry, I cannot agree- post catalyst O2 sensor only monitors catalyst and would not throw this code but another for catalyst not functioning properly.

This could be pre cat O2 sensor, air/vacuum leak, dirty/faulty injector or cambelt timing off.
My guy, no need to be sorry, different opinions. I had the same code on my S8, I cleared the code, but it wouldn't stay off. I replaced a post-catalyst O2 sensor, and that sorted things out.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 26th December 2011, 04:36 PM

Are there some things I should check which are relatively simply solved without a lot of mechanical changes?

Like could it be a fuse somewhere?
Clean the MAF sensor unit?
Change air filter?
Generally check hoses as far as possible?

I assume an o2 sensor is a lambda sensor? I did have a fault a few years ago and it was a lambda sensor which was replaced at a main dealers. If I recall it was quite a quick and easy job - is that the case?

I'd like to do as much as possible before going off to some greedy workshop somewhere - when they see a woman with a big ex-expensive car, they generally rub their hands in glee and get ready for a massive rip off

Last edited by Condor; 26th December 2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 26th December 2011, 05:50 PM

Leaking and split vacuum hoses mine threw up the same fault code solid engine management light ! Change hoses you will find them split I replaced and cleared the code all okay.
Old 26th December 2011, 10:07 PM

The vacuum hoses have never been changed on my car - if I do them, what part numbers should I be looking for? I was thinking of perhaps changing the hoses, then checking if the code comes back after clearing it, and then changing the MAF and if the fault pops up again after clearing that with the scanner, perhaps having the lambdas done - is that a reasonable route to go?

Are there any fuses I should check as well?

If it still comes back after that then perhaps its a cambelt timing issue and if the price is too high, will need to decide whether or not I should have it done or if I should be getting rid. I've had the car for 7+ years and its the best car I've ever owned - until 2009 it was main dealer serviced, hasn't had a lot of use since then and was laid up for a year under wraps as I had a company car and didn't want to get rid of her, but as I was made redundant a month ago, I reinstalled the battery, booked an MOT which she flew through without even an advisory, but en route home the engine light came on - drives fine, no loss of power, but the idle sounds a bit rough.

Haven't driven her since then - about 3 weeks back - as I was looking for the elusive Ben who is local-ish and had repaired her last year (replaced alternator) just before she was laid up under covers - as I wanted to check what the problem was first. As I've had no luck tracing Ben or getting him to return calls, I remembered I had a code scanner, hence finding the fault code.........

Most of the independents around here seem to be a bunch of sharks or cowboys so I'm nervous of just going to any of them - nor do I intend going to main dealers with a car of this age any longer as its just crazy price time there, too.

So would like to sensibly do whatever I can, or have it done methodicallly........
Old 27th December 2011, 05:43 AM

You should get VCDS lead even cheap e-bay one will do and check measuring blocks for MAF values, lambda voltages, fuel trim and misfires and knock sensor voltages before buying new parts. Some of these might point in right direction. In the meantime check vacuum hoses and engine breather hoses.

Are You coming to Christmas meet? Myself or somebody else can have a look at measuring blocks there if You do not buy cable yourself. That's assuming that car run reasonably well and do not misfire.

You can also swap lambda sensor from one side to another to see if fault follows and take out spark plugs to check if they look look running lean or rich.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 27th December 2011, 09:19 PM

Finally managed to contact Ben, so hopefully she'll be able to visit him soon. Thanks for all the pointers and advice - will update when I know what's happened in the fuel system!