A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 4th March 2012, 01:15 PM

Default Sensible Options?

I was made redundant in December and am currently doing long commutes wherever short-term contracts take me. I alternate using the S8 and the X5 for the commutes, both are V8s and although their fuel consumption is reasonable for the engine size and body weight (I get around 24 - 28ish mpg) part of me thinks I should look for a more frugal diesel commuting vehicle.

Just looking for ideas, sensible if possible I don't have to get rid of any of the cars, but am limited by lack of space - would have to park one up behind the others which isn't ideal as it would never get used and that and the moisture rising doesn't do the innards of standing vehicles much good, but I'm also not giving the S8 away for next to nothing and the BMW still has some finance owing (more than its worth I would think, given its a V8!)

Ideally, a cheap frugal luxury ride would fit the bill Seriously, though, what diesels should I look at? Budget up to £10K ish, it needs to be auto and have aircon. What about an AllRoad or a Merc estate or even a Skoda? Or even Jap stuff? Good ideas awaited........or should I just enjoy the two V8s and what the hell, drive them , as the price of diesel seems to continue to skyrocket and it may not be such a grand idea after all......
Old 4th March 2012, 01:19 PM

We very nearly bought a Skoda Superb when we were looking for a cheap-ish to run long distance motor - but happily we stumbled on our 8. The salesman said its like an A6 but cheaper. Decent trim, comfort etc for a tall man.

Last edited by christhompson; 4th March 2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 4th March 2012, 01:29 PM

I don't know your circumstances, but when in a similar situation I used my S8 for travelling to contract work, the logic being:
1. There was a decent secured car park where I could place it out of harms way.
2. The future was uncertain and any change would have probably meant actually spending money.
3. I was driving it to make money! The running costs were incidental in the big picture.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th March 2012, 01:52 PM

How many miles could you do for 10k in your current cars? Take that into consideration as well.

Or.. How many miles could you do for the difference between 10k and my D3 (worth a try lol)

I know.. I know..

Old 4th March 2012, 02:06 PM

HP, you've got it in one! Exactly my situation. Landed a contract till end April in Birmingham, barriered car park in and out, so as secure as reasonably could be expected. I owe nothing on the S8, the X is in "negative equity" so would be foolish to chop it in as it would cost me. So realistically would end up with an extra car and the 8 would end up not being used for ages again, which does them no good at all.

Psyche, I spend about £100-ish a week on petrol. Doing about 100 miles a day. Say 2000 miles a month. I could buy an end-of-life diesel Mondeo or Merc with starship mileage for under £2K I guess and recoup the £2K quite quickly. I'd probably save about half the petrol spend, so about £200 a month and cover the cost of buying an ancient doozel in about 10 months. Very rough estimate,. though, as an ancient starship mileage car is bound to need some attention or pack up or at least its more likely to.

I would love a D3 but can't justify using the savings on one given the work circumstances and my S8 wouldn't sell for much so no real purpose other than a new toy- mine owes me nothing, I've owned it since 2004 and its performance is usually brilliant. OK, the telly no longer works since switch-off, but I can live with that and no car I've ever owned or driven has provided the same interior finish or drive quality.

Oh decisions decisions
Old 4th March 2012, 02:09 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condor View Post

Oh decisions decisions
Deciding not to make a descision is still a decision and long as you have decided not to make it!

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 4th March 2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condor View Post
HP, you've got it in one!
Sorry, I forgot point 4....
4. I was driving an S8 (a joy) to/from work (crap).
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th March 2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Sorry, I forgot point 4....
4. I was driving an S8 (a joy) to/from work (crap).
Love it +1!! Quite right, too.