A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 12th March 2012, 06:58 AM

Back on topic, I was just looking over the PDF, and it looks like pulling the undertray, fan and such is over kill.

Why not just pull the fan, engine cover, and take the tension off the belt, then remove it, and replace with the new belt?

Do not see the need to pull the undertray, unless you need to get under there to remove the belt? (And if you are under there, why bother to pull the engine cover? LOL)

Any tips on the "easy" way to do this? (I see the tip to just pull down on the belt to move the tensioner, and then block it with a allen wrench to remove all tension from the belt.. Why not just do that, pull the belt, route the new one, and call it a day?)

Or am I being too optimistic on this!
Old 12th March 2012, 08:11 AM

If you don't mins skinned knuckles, you should be able to get to the belt to remove and replace/tension it, it's just not easy

I know.. I know..

Old 12th March 2012, 06:10 PM

I'm pretty sure my local mechanic didnt even pull the fan, he slid the belt around it, although he did do that from under the car.
Old 15th March 2012, 07:00 AM
Banned

i have done this 3 times on my D2 4.2 and i will tell you how i did it, its very easy and you can do it in 20 mins

first off while everything is in situe you need a 32mm spanner undo the viscus fan its a left hand thread you will need something to wedge under the fan to stop it rotating, i used a jimmi bar or crow bar,

once that is off you will need a 10mm socket set, undo the two top 10mm bolts that hold the fan shrowd on , you only need these two off as all you do is bend it over so that the fan can come out through the gap,

once the fan is off and out you will need a 19mm socket on a ratchet a large size not a small 1/4 drive, there is a bolt that stick just proud if you look straight down where the fan was situated its quite near the bottom(this is the tentioner) use the socket on hear to leaver over and get the belt off ( may be wise to draw up how it sits in place first )

when doing the reverse to put the new belt on make sure on the bottom left hand side you will see a small metal arm with a ball on the end of it( the new belt must be inbetween this guide and the frame above other wise the belt will rub and give way and snap)

if you need any more help just pm me and you can give me a call if your stuck

hope this helps