A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 15th March 2012, 01:21 PM

Default Windscreen Cracked

Just my luck coming up from Watford on the M1 a stone caught the lower drivers side corner of the screen on the black section and within minutes it was cracking down then up the drivers side
So just rang the insurance firm (Swiftcover) and they are coming out tomorrow, not sure who they use, as it was one of those dedicated lines. Is there anything I should be watching out for when having the screen changed on the 8 ? I now it can sometimes bugger the rains sensor up etc. on some cars?

I always hate having the car messed about with tbh, things never seem to go smoothly for me. Last time I had a screen the t*t fitting it managed to slightly depress the parking indicator which was on the dash of my E55. Whilst I managed to wiggle it back into place it was never quite the same and trying to prove they did it if you don't notice it straight away isn't easy!

Any pointers grqatefully received
Glyn

Last edited by Glync; 15th March 2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 15th March 2012, 02:11 PM

i was with swiftcover whn i claim on windscreen.
it was autoglass (as always)!
u can argue and try to get swiftcover to giv u an audi windscreen....
some had success...most failed.
i got a free sunband on mine.

watch thm do the work by one man....fascinating!
Old 15th March 2012, 02:48 PM

Thks

Funnily enough she mentioned does it have a sun band? and I said i didn't think so !! Couldn't for the life of me recall, but I don't think it does? Can't see my car from here and it's facing the wrong way but I cant recall noticing it before
Anyway she said they come with that ...
Also asked if it was acoustic glass but I don't think it has that either ?
What is that and how would I know?

Did you have any issues with the b*ggering up the rain sensors or anything??
Cheers
Old 15th March 2012, 03:50 PM

mine was bmw 120d

wotever they offer just take it!
insurer already authorised so no xtra cost :-)

not sure what acoustic glass is (better soundproofing?)

my rain sensor worked fine (plug and go)!
Old 15th March 2012, 03:56 PM

When mine cracked I thought about getting a free one from the insurer, but in the end reading all the Autoglass horror stories, I though forget it, so based on loads of good reviews (on Pistonheads) I phoned Paul from Glasstec, and he did a professional job, didnt damage or scratch anything.
I got it for around £200, but I didnt want to replace the heated and UV deflecting screen, I just got a ordinary one.
If yours is a heated windscreen they will tear out the flat conducting strip that runs all the way round the edge of the windscreen.

http://www.glasstecauto.co.uk/

*general rant, when will the auto industry start making polycarbonate windscreens legal for the road, no more cracking and safe from bricks

Last edited by Goran; 15th March 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 15th March 2012, 05:00 PM

Hi Glyn - just make sure they use the proper "audi foam sponge thingy" when they put it in, its thicker than a normal one and stops the screen rattling and squeaking when its gone in - see this thread HERE for details

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 15th March 2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
When mine cracked I thought about getting a free one from the insurer, but in the end reading all the Autoglass horror stories, I though forget it, so based on loads of good reviews (on Pistonheads) I phoned Paul from Glasstec, and he did a professional job, didnt damage or scratch anything.
I got it for around £200, but I didnt want to replace the heated and UV deflecting screen, I just got a ordinary one.
If yours is a heated windscreen they will tear out the flat conducting strip that runs all the way round the edge of the windscreen.

http://www.glasstecauto.co.uk/

*general rant, when will the auto industry start making polycarbonate windscreens legal for the road, no more cracking and safe from bricks
Yes, I actually backup Goran!
There is a concensus autoglass is c*#p and will do a rubbish job.
There is some hope, some autoglass fitters are brilliant, and some drivers managed to convince their insurer to cough up the more expensive manufacturer windscreen.

But, for most will not be so lucky and the alternative of finding your own fitter will cost much more - but nice one Goran for your recommendation

PS: Is there a list of APPROVED retailers/fitters/etc on this forum?
PPS: Can we then negotiate a group discount with this list?
Old 15th March 2012, 07:07 PM

Try audi I got a genuine audi screen fully fitted for my RS 6 for £359 plus it was correctly fitted and warranted for 2 yrs
Old 15th March 2012, 07:55 PM

polycarbonate would be of absolutely no use for windscreens, whilst it'll take a pebble bouncing off it all day long and not crack, it is suprisingly easy to scratch, 1 bit of grit trapped under the wipers and the screen would be ruined.

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 15th March 2012, 08:20 PM

sorry for scare-mongering. Its true you may get a experienced autoglass fitter who will do a fine job. I hope it goes well.
Yes Paul fitted a thick sponge-thingy under my screen, no squeaks at all after 2 years.

(mostly true about polycarbonate, although these days you can get it with a tough coating, question is how long that lasts. Proper way to do it is laminated with acrylic layers on the outside and inside to stop scratches, I beleive this is how they make it for planes, ie, cessna.)