A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 20th October 2012, 11:30 AM

Default rear indicator

Had a warning come up on the dash about my rear passenger indicator. Can the led be repaired? or do i need to buy a complete unit?

TIA
Old 20th October 2012, 11:43 AM

Does it work at all or just some LEDs out?
You can remove the PCB and solder new 5mm LEDs on. You can buy these from ebay. It's best to buy a few sorts to find the closest match. You want ones with the highest mcd (intensity). Sometimes the PCB is water damaged, does it get misted?, you may or may not be able to repair this.
Old 20th October 2012, 12:04 PM

snap is correct they can somtimes be fixed, but if your warning light is on im guessing the whole unit is out/many leds out or working on and of, happened to mine , i had to change mine completely, they can suffer from water ingress that corrodes the insides

on a good note its quite easy to change yourself if you can get one on ebay
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 21st October 2012, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the advice guys! Think i'll get the whole unit. Did take it off and a look inside, which has no moisture. Annoyed at the cost compared to a bulb. It's only the indicator as the warning only comes on when i first indicate.
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:47 AM

Anyone on the forum able to repair? It's just the indicator thats out. I have about 4 leds working. Can go without using the car for a while. Just seems a shame to buy a new unit.
Old 23rd October 2012, 10:11 AM

i kept my old unit for spares, the indicator part was working fine when i took it of, have a look inside and see if its a seperate unit that can be wired in or whether its a one whole piece for all the lights. mines a D3 2003 - 2007 module, not sure what the year of your car is
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 11th February 2014, 02:27 PM

The s8 failed on its mot today! When i posted the question initially, everything was fine after refitting the rear indicator.

Everything is working apart from indicator. Have got 5 leds that still work, but not enough to pass mot.

There's a few for sale on ebay unless anyone know someone breaking an a8?

My S8 is '07. limoncello, you can have mine to make a good one if you want?
Old 11th February 2014, 04:58 PM

I can repair if you send me the PCB, but the LEDs I have are not as bright as original and I would say not bright enough. They are 'straw hat' LEDs which are the correct type optically but the output is lower. If anyone knows the correct spec. I am happy to solder them in.
I think these may be better...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390113432071

Last edited by snapdragon; 11th February 2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12th February 2014, 01:30 PM

Thanks snapdragon! could you pm me your address and i will take the PCB out of casing. Worth a try, before i buy a replacement. Think i need at least 50% working.
Old 28th February 2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
I can repair if you send me the PCB, but the LEDs I have are not as bright as original and I would say not bright enough. They are 'straw hat' LEDs which are the correct type optically but the output is lower. If anyone knows the correct spec. I am happy to solder them in.
I think these may be better...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390113432071
Mine are same, half of led are gone, indicator still working , no warning light, rear passenger outer unit, not the boot one,
Is that the case i can try to replace the small leds pieces inside instead of whole unit Snap ?

I'm new to the forum and just recently got my a8 57reg aswell but seem quite many problem, but glad i found u guys, yrs knowledge is way better than some mechanic i know in my area.