A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 11th January 2013, 01:06 PM

Default An A8 makes Shed Of The Week on Pistonheads!

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=26940

It's only a 2.8 but most comments are generally positive, apart from the clowns who last knew someone that owned one a decade ago and somehow think its reliability then reflects what they're like now.....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 12th January 2013, 05:44 PM

Once again with the "only a 2.8!" typical v8 driver response :P think they also have the spec wrong, the 30v 2.8 is 190 odd hp and similar torque, the old pre 30v v6 was the 170hp 10.1 sec to 60, the later one is a different and considerably perkier animal.

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 13th January 2013, 07:40 PM

Typical V8 driver response! In fairness, a friend of mine with an S reg BMW E38 728i gets about 25mpg from his straight six on similar roads as I drive whereas I average about 23mpg in my 4.2 V8. In for a penny, in for a pound...might as well live a little with the V8! I can confirm a 4.2 A8 will blow a 728i into the weeds. Hardly likely to make the news, but still!
Old 13th January 2013, 09:54 PM

I was in a 535 V8 and my friend in my A8 4.2 at a few years back, and the 4.2 A8 pulled from the 535 V8 like it was a Fiesta, even the 740's of the D2 year are 20 BHP short iirc.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 14th January 2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
even the 740's of the D2 year are 20 BHP short iirc.
they are, but more importantly, they are also significantly heavier, about 300kg, this is the reason I went with an 8 rather than a 7 in the first place
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 14th January 2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I was in a 535 V8 and my friend in my A8 4.2 at a few years back, and the 4.2 A8 pulled from the 535 V8 like it was a Fiesta, even the 740's of the D2 year are 20 BHP short iirc.
A lot of the BMW fans pull the line that the x40i engine (in the 540i and 740i, possibly appearing in the same state in the E31 840i?) under-performs on paper. That it feels a lot stronger than it's figures would suggest. I don't think it does, I think it feels about right. And comparing that to a facelift 4.2 A8 shows how good the A8 is! A decent turn of pace for a 13 year old luxury car!
Old 14th January 2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Ooow i never thought i'd see the day that happened mate BMW getting the shi77y end of the Audi stick. I got taken apart by a 535 Derv a couple of years ago. I'm saying it had been mapped, but i was nuts out and hit the limiter in 1st 2nd and 3rd and that Bimmer jut pulled on me. I know my 8 is an old girl now but it would have hit Ollie up the trumpet had i not backed of one day so she can hold her own (4 speed vrs 5 speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
they are, but more importantly, they are also significantly heavier, about 300kg, this is the reason I went with an 8 rather than a 7 in the first place
After the last month or so nursing my girl it's becoming a reality that it'll need replacing with something soon, and i was toying with a 7

Bright yellow bus o love.

Last edited by Dezzy; 14th January 2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 14th January 2013, 10:12 AM

The D2 has always been KING amongst its rivals. The D2 is one of the best Audi's ever made IMHO. The D4 doesn't outshine the 7/S/XJ like the D2 did back in the day, the D4 just sort of competes, whereas the D2 kicked the living daylights out of everything and then shat on their steel bodied secondbestness. I love the D2, saw a T reg black pre facelift SE 4.2 in Coventry earlier, anyone?

2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 14th January 2013, 12:15 PM

A 535d will show most things a clean pair of heels - they're properly quick, aided by a good auto box

The old 4.0 BMW petrol engine needs revving to perform (I used to drive a 740 for work occasionally) and never feels super quick, more adequate to me

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 14th January 2013, 12:44 PM

Whilst the BMW x35d engines can produce very quick cars when they are given the obligatory remap, they are as dull as sin. Choking, grumbling exhaust note like a Massey Feguson with a misfire and uninspiring to drive. Give me a large petrol any day, preferably naturally aspirated for maximum throttle response and effortless punch!