A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 20th July 2009, 12:51 PM

Default Don't carelessly shut your boot....

Hiya,

Particularly when your keys are inside....Yesterday i spent about 5hrs in total trying to fix this sticky little problem.

I was up in Leeds and had been partying quite heavy (in for 7am) and got kicked out the hotel for 11am. Walked the case to the car. Due to choosing the wrong boots i had a blister on the back of my heal and it was irritating me. I had some emergancy compspeed plasters in my case. Got one out, shut the case (with keys in) closed the boot with a dreadful feeling as i did it, but it was already shut.

I had my mobile and Mc'ds has free net access, ideal for googling numbers. Bought a pad and pen and breakfast.

Tried audi, spares closed on sunday. suggested Audi helpline which is more or less a front for the RAC breakdown. Didn't have RAC. Checked with Admiral my insurers for breakdown cover. No. Called auto locksmith (motorkeys http://www.carkeysleeds.co.uk/) - £70. Gulp. But it was non damaging so...

There are two keyways on my 2000 s8. Drivers side and Boot. The boot being at the back gets crap and gunk in the lock so even with the key it was difficult to open (batery died a few months back). Drivers side is less so.

Tried the drivers side and picking. Took a while, but sucess, i'd guess 45min-1hr. Alas this just opens the door, it doesn't remove the alarm or allow the electrics to power-up, particularly the remote boot release. Tried a few ideas here, but in the end the guy had to free up the boot lock and pick that. Nice guy and spent almost 3hrs picking locks for his £70.

I'm not sure what, if anything can be done to prevent this in the future ???

cya,
Lee
Old 20th July 2009, 01:15 PM
entwisi

Always unlock the whole car? I was sure my remote release works without the key in the ignition?

I'm always really careful with my keys after seeing some poor bloke at Tescos one day.
He'd unlocked the car and as parents sometimes do gave the keys to his little one to play with while he unloaded the trolley in the boot. He hadn't noticed the kiddie ( ~ 2 year old) had caught the button and locked the car. Cue him slam the boot to find that he was now locked out and his little one locked in. Little one dropped the keys but was strapped into the baby chair so had no way of getting them. In the end with little one getting distressed he had no choice but to kick the drivers door window in. With our double pane glass even thats not an option.

therefore my keys live firmly in my coat or trouser pocket and I have a routine I don't shut the door I'm in control of without a quick tap of the relevant pocket to make sure I know where they are.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:32 PM

I'm not sure what, if anything can be done to prevent this in the future ???
[/quote]

Some dramatic and potentially aresting ideas pop into mind. Perhaps a body piercer will install your new, unleavable in the boot keyring for you
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:21 AM

Hiya,

Actualy i do know quite a few piercers.....but no, i don't think i like that idea !

I was contemplating a flat metal key (rather than the big bulky remote things) being secreted on the car somewhere....there are loads of plastic panels in the wheel wells which you could secure something inside for such an emergancy....The key on its own will just give access into the boot/cab not start the car etc.

cya,
Lee
Old 22nd July 2009, 02:40 PM

Default This works for me!

If you have a spare remote at home, call the house and ask them to find your spare keyfob and keep pressing the unlock button into the phone - they need to keep pressing the remote into the phone receiver.

Put your mobile (receiving call) next to your car lock or where your transponder is and the car will unlock.

Sounds mad, but I was given this tip from a reliable source and it works on both my cars (Audi and wife's Kia Sorento). My wife laughed at me the first time I asked her to test the theory. But she then tried opening her car from the end of the garden behind the house without success, only to find that it did unlock when she "fired" the unlock into her mobile and mine mobile unlocked her car at the front of the house.
May be a bit partial to certain car marques transmission frequencies, but it works for me.

Cra*p solution if you only have one set of keys though or you lock your mobile with your keys in the car!

Last edited by jmw748; 22nd July 2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 22nd July 2009, 02:46 PM

Hiya,

Wow....I only have one key atm....i do have another waiting to be programed at some point, when i'll have to give that a go !

cya,
Lee
Old 22nd July 2009, 03:01 PM
entwisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw748 View Post
If you have a spare remote at home, call the house and ask them to find your spare keyfob and keep pressing the unlock button into the phone - they need to keep pressing the remote into the phone receiver.

Put your mobile (receiving call) next to your car lock or where your transponder is and the car will unlock.

Sounds mad, but I was given this tip from a reliable source and it works on both my cars (Audi and wife's Kia Sorento). My wife laughed at me the first time I asked her to test the theory. But she then tried opening her car from the end of the garden behind the house without success, only to find that it did unlock when she "fired" the unlock into her mobile and mine mobile unlocked her car at the front of the house.
May be a bit partial to certain car marques transmission frequencies, but it works for me.

Cra*p solution if you only have one set of keys though or you lock your mobile with your keys in the car!
pretty sure this was debunked as an urban myth.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...nlock_door.htm