A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 19th October 2013, 11:13 AM

I took a feed from the passenger foot well when installing my kenwood
Old 19th October 2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
There may be some confusion due to "mirroring" but I'm going by the actual (tiny) pin numbers moulded onto the socket.
And indeed there is.
I should have looked at the plug on the lead in the boot as well, that clearly only uses two of the three connections on the middle row, so my number 6 (blue) is unused too.

So Notorious' diagram matches, but the numbers are a mirror of my plug. I'm now pretty confident what's what as these CD units have been unchanged for years.
My 5 green is power ground, 7 grey is constant +12v and 10 yellow is switched +12V.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
ELSA is the only reliable source of wiring information for particular car.
Yes, and I have it (thanks to John ) and will check. But it's not convenient to fire up at present and I'm also far from familiar with using it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupra View Post
I took a feed from the passenger foot well when installing my kenwood
I'm hoping that this is all relatively low power so won't need that.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 19th October 2013, 01:42 PM

I've just realised that I've been slightly misleading and limiting myself by mentally referring back to my PF S8 which had RNS-C and analogue TV.
There the TV had a separate power supply and was the obvious route for interfacing DVB-T (and any other video input such as a reversing camera) to the RNS.

Now I have just a CD player, which appears to be totally driven by the cable from the RNS. Or if it isn't, it's just the unswitched 12V that is independent and there are completely equivalent connections available in boot or by the RNS-D.

So the DVB-T tuner and A/V interface can actually be mounted pretty much anywhere and obviously don't have to be together. The major factors will be convenience of installation and access for operation (TV remote mainly) and whether any cables need extending.
It could all be mounted in/near the glovebox for example, with just a thin aerial lead to wherever that is best sited, though the aerial also uses 12v power (fed up the cable).
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 19th October 2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 14th November 2013, 01:27 PM

Just to update this, I've patched in to the CD lead near the back of the RNS-D and taken "permanent" and "switched" 12v supplies from there.
The switched supply does indeed only come on if and only if the RNS is on, irrespective of the ignition key. Exactly what I want.

And as a bonus, I've discovered that the AV interface box I have, which "says" it needs a permanent 12v supply to retain settings, in fact is happy to have that feed switched too.

Last edited by HPsauce; 14th November 2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 15th November 2013, 04:36 PM

good man
Old 15th November 2013, 05:38 PM

Now I just need to patch in to the CD lead in the boot to get outputs for the same switched and unswitched supplies and verify them.
I'll probably do that on the CD changer fly lead (rather than the loom) as I can dismount it easily and bring it indoors to work on.
Old 17th November 2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Now I just need to patch in to the CD lead in the boot
Sadly, having done that it doesn't work as expected, BECAUSE the diagram I was using (attached) is INCORRECT.
In fact, certainly in my car and I would guess many (all?) others the switched and unswitched power pins are reversed. I have confirmed this by careful testing, but only after soldering and taping up all the wiring.

In the diagram (which is a mirror of the CD changer fly lead socket) pin 6 is switched 12v (on when RNS is on) and pin 11 is permanent +12v. Earth/ground on pin 8 is correct.

In the CD changer fly lead these pins are numbered/coloured as follows:
Switched 12V - pin 7, GREY
Permanent 12V - pin 10, YELLOW
Earth/ground - pin 5, GREEN

Hope this helps anyone who decides to tap into these leads. I'm off to do some more soldering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AudiCDchangerpinouts.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	6955  

Last edited by HPsauce; 17th November 2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 17th November 2013, 02:02 PM

HP, but why didn't you use ELSA? That's the only source of information specific to your car.
Old 17th November 2013, 02:29 PM

Being lazy really, and initially I was going for both switched and unswitched so didn't verify enough when I decided I only needed switched.
Normally I'm very careful about checking things before committing to action; stupidly I skipped a check that only took me a few seconds today.

I already knew 100% what the wires were at the other end but didn't think it through as the connectors are different. In the end it took much less time to test with a multimeter than firing up a PC to look at ELSA.

Last edited by HPsauce; 17th November 2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 17th November 2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I'm off to do some more soldering.
All done; switched and unswitched supplies now available, tested and documented in the boot.
I was intending to watch the Rugby (RSA vs Scotland) but gave up after a few minutes as it's a slaughtering; so got the soldering iron and Certoplast tape out instead.