A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 5th February 2014, 09:15 AM

Have you checked the MAF?

I know.. I know..

Old 5th February 2014, 09:27 AM

Replaced it a while back, no change.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 17th February 2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I recall that on my PF S8 I had a play with some of the gearbox ECU settings to make it more "driveable"; are there similar "tweaks" available for the later FL versions?
I think I mostly referred to this: http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...nsmission.html
Finally I looked at this, prompted by digging out my laptop yesterday to (fail to) help Nollywood.
I recall this thread here as well, in which I posted: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6643 and I've been trying Sport mode a fair bit, which never gives problems.
There is also this generic thread with more details on what people have tried: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=630

The current coding (which I'd never looked at) was 00101, just like my PF S8 had been initially, until I "improved" it with 00111.
So I changed it to 00111 and went for a little drive - can't go far, most minor roads around here are still flooded or blocked by trees and you need a bit of "give and take" driving to show the symptoms.

Anyway, so far so good, it behaved itself AND I could definitely notice it dropping a gear or two much more readily than before, yet not holding them as it does in Sport mode.

I'll report back when I've done a few more journeys, meanwhile has anyone else looked at and/or changed this coding on an FL D2 S8?

Edit: Just one thing I did notice, as part of my route was down a steepening hill in a 30mph limit, that I had good engine braking without taking any action on gears.
Don't recall that before, certainly not on that stretch of road very near my house, so used regularly.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 17th February 2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 17th February 2014, 08:54 PM

Interesting. Been a few more miles this evening and definitely feel a lot more confident pulling out briskly at T-junctions.
No sluggishness at all and so much confidence that I've given myself a couple of "energetic" surprises.

BUT I still (as I discussed with Nollywood on Sunday) prefer the throttle response on the PF. There's something about the fly-by-wire throttle and interaction between that and the gearbox that I'm not totally happy with.
Old 17th February 2014, 09:31 PM

The PF did just seem so much more 'connected up'.. I still miss mine sometimes.

I know.. I know..

Old 17th February 2014, 09:41 PM

I'd definitely rather have one in good condition. The extra 20HP doesn't really do anything useful.
Old 17th February 2014, 10:33 PM

Rubs chin, that's very interesting.

I from time to time get throttle lag in normal mode but never had it in sport mode. I shall to do some more driving and investigation.

For reference mine is a 2002 FL with the sport mode on the box.
Old 18th February 2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir WIll View Post
For reference mine is a 2002 FL with the sport mode on the box.
Ditto. Have you scanned with VCDS and checked what coding is on the transmission ECU at present?
Old 18th February 2014, 06:02 PM

Oh dear, still being a bit odd.....
This evening, having driven maybe 5 miles plus sat for 5 minutes with the engine running (so nicely warmed up) I drove a mile or so at 30/40mph then came down a fairly long and steep hill to an A road and turned left.

Good visibility, nothing coming, so I didn't come to a halt.

As I pulled away, not heavy on the throttle, the revs rose but without that much power so just gentle acceleration. Similar feeling to a "slipping clutch" in a manual.
I did the usual "quick lift" and it sorted of "kicked in" and off we went normally.

I'll be doing that bit of the journey again later this evening so will try and be a bit more observant.

Most of my oddities have, thinking about it, been on or about hills or steep junctions. Wonder if the gearbox fluid level isn't right?
Old 28th March 2014, 09:09 PM

Well, it's still misbehaving, but with no pattern that I can discern other than it's worse when cold.

I'm also still having occasional starting problems, it doesn't always "catch", or if it does "chugs" for a second or two at low revs before firing up to over 1000rpm on all cylinders and then settling down.

Any thoughts? I've gone back to V-power after a tankful of Esso 97RON a while back.

I think I'm going to swap the MAF back again when I get the chance as I still have the old one.

PS Nothing showing on a VCDS scan apart from the occasional 01119 - Gear Recognition Signal (Intermittent)

Last edited by HPsauce; 28th March 2014 at 09:57 PM.