A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 4th December 2014, 02:43 PM

Default Turbo Actuator Replacement. 3.0 TDI

So guys, I've not been using the A8 because I had got so fed up with it that I needed to just take a step back.

I need to replace the turbo actuator as it has thrown up a fault on the diagnostics. The plug was broken when the engine was replaced, and I think this has contributed to it's demise.

Obviously Audi only sell the actuator as a complete unit with the turbo but I have found a replacement unit on ebay which doesn't included the turbo.

Since it is the plug that is damaged, I don't think the TPS refurb kit will be any use to me,

What I am asking is, has anyone carried out such a repair/replacement? will the actuator need "setting up" as I don't have access to VCDS.

I am hoping it will just be a case of plug itin and drive???

Any info greatly appreciated.

A8 Parts, what have you guys got in stock parts wise for this?

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 4th December 2014, 02:58 PM

This is the culprit I think... Haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	619.6 KB
ID:	9664  

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 4th December 2014, 08:19 PM

I am not sure about electrical actuators but for turbos with vacuum actuator they are adjusted mechanically at factory(or re-builders) when actuator and turbo are assembled together and there is no further adjustment to be done, by dealer or user, that's why they are not sold separately.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 5th December 2014, 04:41 PM

They are factory calibrated on the turbo, but if I could get a used one I would just fit it and see what happens.
The vacuum ones on older cars were the same (factory setup and then 'sealed' with yellow paint but I replaced one and found it not very critical at all how it was adjusted as the ECU specifies boost and tells it to adjust so all you might do is shift the end-points.
I donated my old Turbo to midland turbo in Nottingham with blown half-sealabout 2 years ago - I wonder if they still have it? Maybe call them and ask if they have just a working control unit for sale and see what they say - such as it is impossible or no problem etc..
Old 9th December 2014, 08:31 AM

Thanks guys

Old 21st December 2014, 08:32 PM

The rod may need adjusting once fitted on the car to get it boosting right the length of rod adjusts at what point the turbo starts spinning if it's too early it can induce a boost spike, I'd fit it then see if someone local can log it on there vcds and see what the boost characteristics are compared to a car that's not been touched, I had to do this on my 1.9tdi Passat when I fitted a bv43 turbo too it and ran 1.8 bar throught it

Edit: the electronic actuator looks to have a direct attachment to the VNT arm (I.e no threaded adjustable rod like vacuum actuators) so you'll probably find the actuators will be plug and play, they sell replacements on eBay for £170ish by the looks of things a second hand one should be fine too.
Old 30th April 2015, 09:22 AM

Hey guys. To update on this, the replacement didn't work. Turned out that the actuator was actually fine anyway-just needed to clean the plug.

Old 30th April 2015, 10:54 AM

Happy to hear you got the issue resolved. Can't ask for more than a happy ending!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 30th April 2015, 10:33 PM

Hi Becky
Good to hear from you and see you actually trying to get her back on the road since we spoke last time at BP, because you know what, I was thinking and keep thinking about buying your D3 purely because of the S8 front and then having a little project myself of putting her right again.
And because for the past few days I'm toying with idea of S8 bumper again, I was thinking again all day today about your D3, did she sold her or not, shall I call, and what if it's still for sale.
When I read your both posts today it was clear that love to your D3 is still there and that car is not for sale anymore.

I'm glad you are working on her

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 17th November 2015, 12:12 PM

I had this same couple days ago in my Audi A8 3.0TDI, took my car to the local garage they diagnosed turbo actuator need to be replaced or refurbished, also they mentioned something turbo geometry so time will show I will post what was.