A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 12th January 2012, 03:11 PM

Default Who To Use For Stainless Exhaust / Mufflers In Essex?

Hello Guys!

I'm real pleased with my D2 S8 in general, bar the slush box and silencer.

I find the V8 way too refined, I compare it with real old skool big / small-block Chevy units, and it don't add up. Last old V8 I had was a '76 Mustang, sounded awesome.

I'm looking to get a custom system made up - stainless steel from the catalysts, no centre muffler and dual twin-tipped mufflers. Who would you recommend in the Essex area? I don't wanna replace the stock catalysts, as they're in great shape. Any ideas?

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 12th January 2012, 04:35 PM

Have you considered the milltek offering? It's cats-back and fits very well. Has a lovely deep burble but isn't intrusive at motorway pace. I'm by Gatwick if you're ever down this way and want a demo

I've been disappointed by previous powerflow type efforts on old cars I've had - they've either ignored what I asked for or done their own thing as it makes it easier for them to fit rather than making the best quality job of it

Good call to ask for local recommendations if you want to go that route
Old 12th January 2012, 06:26 PM

^^^ Sounds like a plan, Adrian. Would be good to hear yours. Do Milltek offer a dual rear muffler set-up though?

2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 12th January 2012, 07:13 PM

Unfortunately no 4 pipe setup (miss-read your original post) - just a straight replacement with no bumper cutting.

Looks like this:

Be warned it isn't cheap though - I didn't pay for mine as it was already fitted!

It isn't anywhere near as loud as Guy's custom 4 pipe setup on his A8, which I've not experienced from inside the car so can't comment how noisy it is on a run compared to the Milltek.

It does give a nice deep V8 burble. Can try and get a video of it at the weekend, although there's probably one already on You Tube somewhere?

Offer stands anyway if you're down this way anytime - I'm generally about during the day

Adrian
Old 12th January 2012, 08:26 PM

^^^ Awesome. A video would be great.

Old 13th January 2012, 09:30 AM

Thumbs up

Alternatively, Hayward & Scott in Basildon are superb. Have a look at the website. http://www.haywardandscott.com/

Some of their stuff is a work of art.

I had a back box from them for my Impreza, and they made up a custom 3" job for my Saab 9000 Aero and did an amazing job. Have always been tempted to take my S8 down there and see what they can do.

Regards,
Mark
Old 13th January 2012, 10:13 AM

Hayward and Scott can also fit one of them valves to make it go quieter/louder. I've heard great things about them.

Adrian - The millteks on the D2 S8s are way too quiet IMO, although their quality is hard to beat.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 13th January 2012, 12:56 PM
Banned

my system was made in Top gear St Albans, i was very specific with what i wanted and had them rework the X pipes when finished,

oh yes i would also recomend an X pipe

mine is ok not to loud when just taking your time, but when you floor it it really comes to life and sound fantastic in the high revs
over all it was £1300 some where around that mark with the twin exit being 400 cheaper
i opted for the quad set up as it just finished off the look to the car that i was going for

you can get the same sound with out having the extra expense of the quad exits, all depends what you are after

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3775

this is what the quads look like on mine
thay are good guys at top gear and they do listen to your needs rather than just doing there own thing to make life easy for themselves
Old 13th January 2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Hayward and Scott can also fit one of them valves to make it go quieter/louder. I've heard great things about them.

Adrian - The millteks on the D2 S8s are way too quiet IMO, although their quality is hard to beat.
Wow. I remember Hayward & Scott from the '90's, I didn't know they were still around, will give them a call tomorrow.

Old 13th January 2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Alternatively, Hayward & Scott in Basildon are superb. Have a look at the website. http://www.haywardandscott.com/

Some of their stuff is a work of art.

I had a back box from them for my Impreza, and they made up a custom 3" job for my Saab 9000 Aero and did an amazing job. Have always been tempted to take my S8 down there and see what they can do.

Regards,
Mark
Thanks for the link bud.