A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 9th July 2016, 08:16 AM

Default Imobiliser wire, remove steering wheel?

Hi everyone.
Do I have to remove the steering wheel to change the immobiliser wire? As I don't know my radio code, so disconnecting the battery is a issue. Is there a fuse I can pull to stop the airbag circuit?
Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 10:11 AM

Look in here, there are two specific threads relating to replacing it. It's the "Interior Electrics Repairs Sticky" directly above your post

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 9th July 2016, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the reply! I have already looked through those, and I might be nissin it completely, but I can't see anything about disarming the airbag other than disconnecting the battery.... Any advice?
Old 9th July 2016, 12:48 PM

Thats about it as far as i can see. With the battery disconnected there should be no way to (electrically) initiate it......
Old 9th July 2016, 04:02 PM

Smile

With the battery disconnected it won't, however I will lose my stereo, as I don't have the code for it, so I want to see if there's another way to disarm the airbag.
Old 9th July 2016, 04:12 PM

Radios in some cars will loose code, others will not need code if it is used in the same car. If you loose code Audi dealer should provide one for you free of charge, some dealers do others don't but they can charge 0.5hrs labour from head office for it. There is also possibility to buy codes on internet/e-bay using serial number of radio if you cannot be bothered to book in at dealers.

It is common practice to disconnect battery when removing airbag but I have never done it on any of the cars and I do not see the logic behind it. Current only goes to airbag in the event of crash. But do remember that if you switch on ignition while airbag is disconnected it will register a fault code and put on airbag warning light. If you do it without disconnecting battery do it at your own risk, it's always been fine for me and official advice is to disconnect battery.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 9th July 2016, 05:04 PM

Ok that's handy to know. Like yourself, I've done it before on my other cars without disconnecting the battery so to hell with it, what happens happens! Haha.
As for going to Audi I did ring my local, and they thought I'd lost my mind, the crowd in linerick said they might be able to do it, leave it with us for a day or two... Jeasus!
Still I'll take a punt and see what happens. Thank you again.
Old 9th July 2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt racing View Post
Thanks for the reply! I have already looked through those, and I might be nissin it completely, but I can't see anything about disarming the airbag other than disconnecting the battery.... Any advice?
Sorry fella, jumped the gun there and didn't read all of your questions fully. I gave the instructions to my garage and they said it was very helpful, though I don't recall having to re-enter the radio code after the job so I can't remember if they did it live, it's a few years ago now.

Hope you get it sorted soon

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 9th July 2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
As for going to Audi I did ring my local, and they thought I'd lost my mind, the crowd in linerick said they might be able to do it, leave it with us for a day or two... Jeasus!
It depends on dealer, Bedford Audi wanted to charge me for 1 hours labour and were just laughing at me when I pointed out that owners manual says Audi will provide code free of charge. Audi Northampton told me themselves it's free of charge but had to book in and wait for a week, it was done in about 15-20 minutes when arrived on the day. I asked them if they can do another one for me and they said no problem just fit it in the car and come over we will do it free of charge but if I come with it in the hand they will need to fit it in the car, charge me for fitting and then provide code free of charge.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 24th July 2016, 12:46 PM

Just fitted it there without disconnecting the battery. Thanks for the advice everyone!