A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 9th December 2015, 12:22 PM

Default 1 month into D3 S8 ownership

Well, one month into V10 ownership and I thought I’d write just a brief report on how I’m finding the S8.

I was quietly looking for a fully loaded facelift 4.2TDI for a while but then changed my search and went all out to find a nice S8 while trying to avoid the most common (but still nice) Daytona grey and found this one in Aqua Blue Pearlescent with beige leather and carbon trim - a colour combo which I haven't seen before. The two tone black/silver leather doesn't do much for me either. I was also looking for one with an above average spec list and I think my search paid off as I definitely found a high spec model, however, I tried to avoid one with ceramics - they seem more hassle than they're worth. The full Audi history and the fact this is a facelift car were also boxes ticked. My insurance on this is also HALF what my D2's was.

I love the sound from cold start in the mornings. Pressing the start button and hearing the orgasmic sound of the starter motor for a few seconds before the engine fires up and the exhaust (with flaps wired open) growls for a good 30 seconds before settling down. I sometimes find myself turning the key in the ignition to start the engine then quickly running round to the back of the car just to hear it start, lol.

Another thing which is hard to ignore is the V10’s insatiable thirst for premium unleaded – I now typically see 20mpg on my daily journey. 23/24mpg is easily achievable if I’m being careful but then I soon start to think, “what’s the point? I didn’t buy a V10 to see decent fuel economy”. I look at the fuel gauge after a couple of journeys and it’s already done a quarter tank! The throttle response from standstill took a little getting used to. It’s responsive and sensitive in the first bit of pedal travel, and the gears are set up nicely for quick acceleration. Take off feels a hell of a lot quicker in sport mode too and I love the little ‘fart’ sound from the exhaust when upshifting under hard revs.

I like the fact that it can be a big luxury car in Comfort mode, ideal for cruising but put the suspension in Dynamic and it's set up for throwing it around a little more! I find the ride in Dynamic is just too harsh and bumpy for normal road driving so I leave it in Automatic most of the time which is a nice middle point. I'm considering lowering it, just by 10mm. It's also a nice feeling knowing you can have enough power to overtake or pull away from most other cars on the road after dropping a couple of gears. I've spotted a few people taking a picture of the car, it definitely gets respect on the road. At least I like to think it's of the car rather than my choice number plate which a few people have pointed out.

AMI coupled with B&O sound system is the mutt’s nuts if you’re into music. It’s like a concert hall on wheels! Soooo much better than any Harmon Kardon system or Meridian and Dolby/DTS in Range Rovers.

Negative points? Well aside from the fuel consumption the only thing I can think of is the thick infrared reflective glass all round means that I very rarely get phone signal and my Android phone doesn’t seem to hook up to the Bluetooth either <<< now solved, I got a new phone and it works.

It needs a couple of minor things addressing such as the HVAC panel being a bit glitchy <<< solved (see thread here), a cracked rear lens <<< common issue so I've left it, and heated mirrors not working <<< this was solved with the new HVAC panel, plus a slight misalignment on the boot as on a lot of D3s but so far I am loving it!

- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8

Last edited by Conquistador; 26th May 2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 9th December 2015, 12:39 PM

Nice write up, I agree with just about all you say, though I do like Daytona Grey personally. I wish I could see 20mpg though, the DIS is eerily accurate and the roads around me ensure I struggle to get it above 16mpg, but then I let it rip and think "I don't care!!""

The start-up noise is amazing, almost as addictive as the throttle blip when changing down using the paddles, though I tend not to open the window as much to listen in the winter. The B&O lives up to everything I'd read about it beforehand, though I need to get up to speed on what options I have regarding what I can play through it. I use the radio and CD's mainly and I'm well aware that's not using it to its potential.

The Android phone problem seems strange, I've had two in the time I've had mine and both have connected to the car via Bluetooth and have been fine, I'm sure someone will have ideas or solutions for you

Welcome to D3 ownership again, hope to see you and the S8 next year at a meet or two

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 9th December 2015, 12:45 PM

The thing that would annoy me most is the rear numberplate not being horizontal!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 9th December 2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
The thing that would annoy me most is the rear numberplate not being horizontal!

without a doubt thats poor fitting
ditch the plates and get some GB free ones with a nice blue border

B&O is an absolute must have i was a sound and lighting engineer for a while and was a DJ for 25 years. Love my Sounds

Last edited by roberto; 9th December 2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 9th December 2015, 01:29 PM

Stunning sir and a great right up! I really love these cars and yours looks like a mighty fine example (obviously with the wrong colour interior, but we all know that).

Don't worry about the number plate either. Just claim it's setup such that when parked in it's normal location and orientation on your slightly sloped driveway it's perfectly level! I'd believe you.

It's obviously not a truly heinous crime like putting an S8 badge on a tractor engine! (Sorry Roberto).

2016 S3 Sportback
Old 9th December 2015, 01:40 PM

I'll hold my hands up and say the poor rear number plate fitting is my fault. I did it in the dark after doing the plate transfer online but will refit it in due course
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 9th December 2015, 02:00 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

It certainly is a stunning car!

The D3 looks so much more modern than the D2. Sat side by side, you wouldn't think they were only separated by 1 generation. The D2 looks so dated by comparison ... not that that's necessarily a bad thing ... Fine wine, and all that ...

I do like the D3 S8 look though. Must get myself one some day!

As for the Bluetooth issue; have you tried another phone? It's possible that the problem lies with the phone not the car's Bluetooth. Check your phone's memory usage. As strange as that might sound, one thing I have found with Android phones is that they can develop many seemingly unrelated issues just because they're low on memory. Free up some memory by uninstalling a few apps and/or moving apps and data to an SD card, then reboot the phone and try it again.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 9th December 2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto View Post
without a doubt thats poor fitting
ditch the plates and get some GB free ones with a nice blue border

Great plate that Rob, would definitely suit an S8 rather than a tractor though

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 9th December 2015, 03:14 PM

Up and till i read your write up I was perfectly content with my D2 - damn you Ollie!
Old 9th December 2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Up and till i read your write up I was perfectly content with my D2 - damn you Ollie!
Come over to the Darksid3 David, you know you want to

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra