A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - General

For Sale and Wanted - General Posting for buying / selling your own personal non vehicle related items

Old 8th February 2013, 09:40 PM

Default Anybody looking to buy a D2 S8 at the moment?

Tentative toe in the water on this - I am being persuaded that the 'man maths' that has seen me running my S8 for the last 2 years with no actual income is not going to cut it going forward, since I'm now into my 3rd year of ownership and have no set date to return to work and be in a position to continue maintaining it as it should be!

I wanted to sell our 2004 A6 Avant that we've had for 5 years, but after spending a small fortune on wheel refurb, tyres, service, tax and MOT it transpires the thing is only worth about £3500-4000 because it's a 3.0 quattro Sport petrol so whilst that's ready to go, I can't get much that leaves money in the bank and will be reliable from selling it to generate some spare cash.

Basic details:

2002/52 D2 S8 Facelift Final Edition
Avus silver with extended purple leather interior
All standard FE spec including correct 20" 9 spokes with Michelin Pilot Sport tyres and no kerbing, blind pack, bi-xenons etc
Also benefits from a professionally installed RNS-E sat-nav upgrade complete with Audi factory Bluetooth and TV (analogue, but the replacement wiring is already there for a straight swap to digital with the correct tuner). The navigation DVD is a 2013 version with added speed camera POIs.
Milltek exhaust which sounds lovely but never intrusive
Factory grey overmats with purple edging which I've not seen in another one.
Very low mileage (currently 53k)
I'm the 4th owner.
Only ever been run on Shell V-power while I've owned it and always garaged.

If anyone is lurking and considering buying then drop me a line while I'm sorting out the details and convincing myself I should let it go.

I have an extensive history file for the car with loads of past bills and FSH. I need to check the dates of when work was done but it basically had a MASSIVE service in 2010 which included cambelt, genuine front discs and pads, all filters and a thorough clear out of drains and check of potential water ingress points. It's had an annual service as needed in my ownership.

Since I bought it I've also had the F125 range select switch changed as it was sometimes going into limp mode. I also had the gearbox oil and filter changed so that all important job plus the low miles should see the gearbox good for many more years. Car has never missed a beat and drives exactly as it should. Currently running Fuchs esther based oil and doesn't drink a drop between services. At the last MOT slight play in one of the front upper arm inner bushes was detected (they get stretched on full lock) as an advisory so all 4 upper arms were replaced using Meyle HD parts.

I've replaced every bulb on the outside of the car, including brand new Philips D2R xenons and Philips X-treme Vision front fog/high beam assist lamps as the varying brightness of old/new bulbs annoyed me!

Not sure on a price yet but it'll be at the top end of current D2 values due to the spec, mileage and history otherwise I might as well keep it. Only negative on condition is a trolley ding on the bonnet adjacent to the upper grill which I couldn't see the point in getting sorted until I wasn't going to be parking it in supermarket baby spaces any more! Otherwise it's all good internally and externally. Very clean underneath too.

I have some upgrades I bought with the intention of fitting - solar sunroof including wiring, anti-dazzle rear view mirror and some spare bits of trim - which will be offered at what they owe me.

Been quite cathartic writing that so will see if it generates any interest....

Reasonably recent pics but will get up to date ones once I've had a dry day to clean the car properly:

Would consider a part-ex against A3, A4, Leon FR or Cupra R, Fabia or Octavia vRS so long as cash my way - basically anything smaller/cheaper to run from VAG.

Adrian

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC

Last edited by Adrian E; 8th February 2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 8th February 2013, 10:17 PM
Administrator

I can see your logic, but I'm not at all sure what value she would fetch. Genuinely, no idea.

Its undoubtably very low miles, and well cared for but that colour combo is going to take some shifting I would imagine, and it will likely knock its value overall imo. It will definitely look better in the flesh than any photo, but I've never thought the avus silver carried the 'vibrant' interior colours as well, they were far more suited to the Ebony Black..... - But thats just my preference.

D3's have come down a long way, and have knocked D2 prices, but tidy D2 S8's can still fetch a premium, especially with some time and patience, which it sounds like you may have, so spring is on its way and the worst you can do is pop an advert in Audotrader at the sort of money you're looking for and see what happens ? I might even be tempted to list it with no interior shots, letting the 'final edition' and low mileage bring the calls in, and hopefully you get the chance to sell the colour combo first hand

The Daily Town Car - 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Black with Black. Giant ipad screen, huge sunroof, 4 wheel drive, Tow bar, lots of ooomph and made in China, so actually built properly unlike the Californian ones.

The Family Wagon - 2018 Tesla Model X. Black, 7 Seats, Towbar, Homelink, Enhanced Auto pilot with Summon and self park, Heated front seats, CCS Charger upgrade, MCU2 Upgrade, Falconwing Doors, Self opening / closing doors, Netflix, Spotify, toys, Air suspension, alcantara roof + lots of other stuff......

The 17 year old Driver Wagon 2015 Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo. Alloys, Power steering, Aircon, Leccy windows, Sat Nav, bluetooth, central locking, cup holders, 59 whole bhp. Million times better than my first car. Well jealous.....

The First 20 Audis:

2001 D2 4.2 QS Silver, 1997 D2 S8 Silver, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2002 D2 S8 Dolphin Grey,
2003 C5 RS6 Blue, 1998 D2 S8 Black, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue, 2003 D3 4.2 Ming Blue,
2005 B7 S4 Blue, 2006 D3 3.0 Tdi Black, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2003 D3 4.2 LPG Crystal Blue,
2000 D2 S8 Silver, 2007 3.0 Tdi Q7 Black, 2009 B8 S4 Black, 1998 D2 S8 Agate Grey,
2006 D3 4.2 Tdi Blue, 2006 D3 S8, 2007 Q7 3.0 Tdi, 2006 C6 S6,

The Second 20 Audis:

2011 A7 Sline, 2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2002 A2 1.4 Tdi Silver, 2006 A8 4.2 Tdi Blue,
2007 4.2 Tdi Q7, 2006 S4 Cab Silver, 2010 RS6 Saloon Black , 2007 TT Roadster,
2010 A8 D4 4.2 Silver, 2006 C6 A6 2.7 Tdi Quattro, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue (again), 2008 Q7 4.2 Black,
2009 C6 RS6 Saloon Daytona Grey, 2001 Fully Loaded A2 Tdi, 2006 Avant S6 Black, 2007 VW Caravelle Exec Black (almost an Audi)
2009 TT Roadster Daytona, 2015 Q7 4.2 tdi lava grey, 2002 GmbH D2 demonstrator, 2006 D3 A8 LWB 4.2 Tdi Black

Most Recent Audis:

2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2007 4.2 FSi Q7 ABT Blue, 2016 S5 Coupe Launch model, 2004 S4 B6 Cabriolet, 2016 Q7 Sline White, 2006 Q7 4.2 FSi Black, 2012 Q7 Sline+ 4.2Tdi White, 2008 Blue Audi S8

Everything Else

1989 Subaru Justy, 1986 Vauxhall Cartlton 2.0 GL, 1985 Vauxhall Carlton 2.2 CDi, 1987 Ford Sierra XR4x4, 1983 Vauxhall Senator, 1985 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i, 1997 Polo Saloon, 1997 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi, Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000E, 1990 Subaru Justy, 2000 Subaru Impreza, 2000 Subaru Impreza RB5, 1993 Range Rover LSE, 2005 VW Bora, 2003 Skoda Superb, 2003 VW Passat V6 4 Motion, 1996 Peugeot 106, 2000 Range Rover 4.0, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Old 8th February 2013, 10:23 PM

Lovely car, shame you can't sell the A6 instead but needs must. I hope your work/financial situation is sorted soon.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 8th February 2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
I might even be tempted to list it with no interior shots, letting the 'final edition' and low mileage bring the calls in, and hopefully you get the chance to sell the colour combo first hand
That's a good idea - isn't that what you did when you sold me mine Ian?

Seriously though, the sad fact with all our cars is that they are all worth far more to us than probably any potential buyer. The FE colours do look better in the flesh than on photos, and get less "vibrant" with the passage of time.

I know it must be a wrench to even think about moving this on, but cash is cash at the end of the day: good luck with getting the right result for you. The only consolation if you do sell is that other good ones will come up occasionally in the future when finances permit a "buyback"
Old 8th February 2013, 10:51 PM

I think Ian could be spot on with his idea of not posting interior shots Adrian, you may recall I saw the ad for yours when I bought mine but the interior pics put me off, but when I actually saw it at one of the meets I thought it looked stunning, much better in reality than in the pics, and when you look at how its been cared for it must be valued at the top end of the D2 S8 range. As we bought ours at around the same time and as we have grown into them and loved and cared for them over the time we have had them I feel some sort of kindred spirit, and will feel sorry to see you let it go

Good luck whatever you decide Adrian

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 9th February 2013, 12:35 AM

Default Interior colour

I realise my attempt at a recent advert was pretty poor, but I would get the bonnet sorted first and then push it as a mint final edition with a unique color combination.

D3s are dropping in value...but a d2 s8 is becoming a rare breed....especially a decent one...so take pics of the interior and photoshop the purple to give it a rich vibrant feel....then just be patient....you will get a buyer and it will break ur heart....but be confident u have an extremely desirable car.
01 Audi a8 fl sport - Grey, Bose, Glass Sunroof, S8 grill/mirror covers/wheels, Aftermarket Exhaust, very quick and lots of fun!!!!!....well I gave it one final push on the pedal to hear that v8 growl and then it was off to a new home.....
99 Audi a8 fl - Silver, Black alcantara seat/ S8 grill/side mirror, MFSW, Solar Sunroof, 17" Monoblocks (for that extra cushion of air), Rnsc, Bose.....great motorway cruiser....now gone to a new home
02 Final Edition S8 - Avus Silver, Extended Leather Pack III, Front & Rear Heated Seats, Servo, Blinds, Rear Seat Entairtainment with Playstation, Bose, Bi Xenons.....now gone to a new home
97 PF A8 4.2 quattro sport - Cashmere Grey, Servo, RNS E, Blinds, Bose, 20 Final Edition Alloys, LPG....sold sadly and will be missed
03 S4 V8 Saloon - Misano red, Manual, Milltek, Bose, Xenons, RNS E - Sold as of Feb 2012

Old 9th February 2013, 11:44 AM

I would imagine you can hold out for the right person to buy and will have to, to get top price as you'll well know.

My opinion on price is useless here as you'll know what i'm going to say and that maybe not fair for what could be an investment for someone, but the bonnet would need doing as anyone looking for an investment will knock hard for anything they can find. And i know it's upgrades but i'd even be pushing at the soot pipes not being genuine and therefore knocking price down, as it looks like it's been raced, rallied or owned by a boy racer. (I'm just using that as an example not saying you're a boy or abused your car mate)

Catch 22 for you mate do you hold out for the person to give what you're asking or take an offer you might not get offered again. Obviously i'm not saying take the 2000 notes someone like me would offer you but you've been in the motor game long enough to know that there are very few buyers out there that are willing to pay what you'll be wanting for it.

D2 A/S8's when your selling one they're worth every penny but when buying one they're worthless.

Bright yellow bus o love.

Last edited by Dezzy; 9th February 2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11th February 2013, 08:03 PM

Thats a beaut.

GLWTS
Old 20th February 2013, 09:44 PM

Thanks for all the positive comments and feedback. Been giving it a lot of thought and decided to advertise the car at £7500. There's more expensive examples out there so I'm hoping this is a realistic price.

I recognise it may take months to sell, but it's not costing me much to keep in the garage. I'll still be using it and will tax and service as required until such time as it does sell.

I need to sift through the service history properly and detail what's been done and when, but anyone looking for a properly sorted and maintained car with some modern upgrades will not be disappointed.

When the weather improves I'll give the car a proper clean and another clay bar session and polish so its looking its best. You could eat your dinner off the insides of the wheels anyway but it's nice to see it properly shiny!

I'll be putting adverts on AudiSRS and Pistonheads when I get a chance.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 20th February 2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
decided to advertise the car at £7500.
Adrian, I'm afraid I have to be brutally honest and point out that my 2003 S8 cost me less than half that last month, though it was advertised well above what I actually paid.
With a "few" more miles on maybe, but not many.

That difference pays for an awful lot of upgrades.

Good luck.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 20th February 2013 at 10:00 PM.