A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior

D2 - Interior Seats, dashboards, plastics, ventilation everything inside the cabin

Old 20th May 2013, 02:18 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle
Default Door insert repair

As some of you know, I bought a set of 'myrtle on platinum' door inserts from A8 Parts (similar to Neil's), but the trim in the door pull below the 'wood' bit is in a pretty poor state on some of them.

It appears to be a kind of rubberised material and it's been picked off in parts.

Does anyone know where I could get this fixed?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 20th May 2013, 03:13 PM

Jim,

I think you can't fix them as it is impossible to separate lower plastic bit from upper metal/'wood' bit

What I can suggest is to return them back to A8parts and ask to change them to fully plastic ones. You need those without wood effect metal stuff on them. Color is not important. I bet they will come in terrible condition. Then bring them to people who paint cars and ask them to paint those plastic things 'soul black' or whatever colour you need. Of course, matte finish and not lacquered. Body shop will understand. The beauty of this approach is that you can repair those things while they get scratched with time, so this solution is forever.

I have repaired that way L-shaped seat memory button surrounds in front doors and very happy with result.
Old 20th May 2013, 04:59 PM

I've seen a guy on Quattroworld respray that section himself after masking and rubbing it down - do a search. Doesn't look all that difficult to do to be honest. My drivers side one is a bit rough, but others are fine.

Zip

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 20th May 2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
As some of you know, I bought a set of 'myrtle on platinum' door inserts from A8 Parts (similar to Neil's), but the trim in the door pull below the 'wood' bit is in a pretty poor state on some of them.

It appears to be a kind of rubberised material and it's been picked off in parts.

Does anyone know where I could get this fixed?
do a Google for "Spray on Rubber" what could possibly go wrong

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 20th May 2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
I've seen a guy on Quattroworld respray that section himself after masking and rubbing it down - do a search. Doesn't look all that difficult to do to be honest. My drivers side one is a bit rough, but others are fine.

Zip
There's a 'total respray' fix on Audipages too, but I particularly wanted the 'myrtle' wood effect. My 'all plastic' platinum inserts are in pretty goo nick, so I think I'm going to try to 'fix' the myrtle inserts one way or another.

As to Brian's suggestion - well, SWMBO could walk in on me whilst I was Googling that!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 20th May 2013, 07:11 PM

Plasti dip is what you are thinking of jim
Old 21st May 2013, 07:29 AM

@ The_Laird - Iv got that set of trim you gifted me rubbed down & sprayed to match the colour of the car.

I doubt you will be able to re-rubberise any of it, however there are alternative options out there.
Old 21st May 2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McB View Post
..... however there are alternative options out there.
Do any of the options allow me to keep the 'wood' trim?
Old 21st May 2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
Plasti dip is what you are thinking of jim
I think she might be right!

Watch this space
Old 21st May 2013, 12:07 PM

I have been meaning to re-paint these bits too (just the plactic hand hold part). The prevous owners wife must have had a lot of rings, because the rubber finish on the passanger side is scratched to bits.
I have read about plastidip, but is it durable enough? There are other rubber-type coatings, I may give this one a try. Just have to mask the wood trim when working on the plastic hand-hold attached to it.
I hope the wood is easy to separate from the door?
http://www.advancedrubbercoatings.co...80/page/759980