A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 29th October 2013, 07:09 PM

Default RNS-E 2010+ maximum road speed display feature

Interesting feature of RNS-E 2010+ in D2 -- road speed display. Road maps DVD has information about road speed of each major road. It is used to calculate travel time, etc. RNS-E 2010+ displays maximum road speed in the right lower corner of the screen (see 30 MPH sign while car is driving on Nine Mile Ride road). When you pass speed limit sign the sign in the corner of the screen changes accordingly. If you turn to a small slip road or unadopted road the speed sign disappears. As soon as you're back on main road the sign appears immediately.

Road speed limit feature only works with Audi CAN Gateway installed between Drivetrian CAN, Infotainment CAN and Convenience CAN. This allows information from ABS sensors from Drivedrain CAN into Infotainment CAN where RNS-E can read it. I believe this is needed for more accurate speed measurment.

P.S. The smaller speed signs on the map itself are locations of speed cameras. Black background -- mobile cameras and white background -- fixed cameras. This is done with navpoint.co.uk software that injects speed camera data into a separate POI layer of DVD. Subscription to popular speed camera database is needed. Navpoint will work with pre-2010 models of RNS-E
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2159.JPG
Views:	8039
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	6916  

Last edited by notorious; 30th October 2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 29th October 2013, 09:14 PM

That looks interesting - is this using a gateway from an A3 or TT, or the aftermarket one?

By the way I came across an Apple Lightning cable part number in Etka today 4F0 051 510 AC

No price associated with it and may also be available as part of a set

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 29th October 2013, 09:36 PM

I'm now using genuine Audi CAN Gateway part number 7N0 907 530 S.

It is used in the following VAG cars:

Audi A3 Cabriolet 2008 - 2013
Audi A3 Sportback 2009 - 2013
Audi A3/S3/Sportback/qu. 2009 - 2013
Audi R8 2007 - 2013
Audi TT Coupe/Roadster 2011 - 2013
Audi TT/TTS Coupe/Roadster 2011 - 2013
Audi TTRS Coupe/Roadster 2010 - 2013
Audi TTRS Coupe/Roadster 2012 - 2013

Octavia 2009 - 2009 1Z-9-000 001 >>
Octavia 2010 - 2010 1Z-A-000 001 >>
Octavia 2011 - 2011 1Z-B-000 001 >>
Octavia 2012 - 2013
Superb 2008 - 2008 3T-8-000 001 >>
Superb 2009 - 2013
Yeti 2010 - 2013

And in some VW PQ46 platforms too I think.

Later 1K0 CAN Gateways should be good choice too, but I never tried them.

The best place to borrow all required wires is from behind instrument cluster. CAN Gateway will also require +12v, ground and switched +12v. All these wires exist behind cluster. I then created a loom that goes behind the fuse box trim in driver footwell. This is where it lives. It is also easier to access it there in case I need it.

CAN Gateway provides two additional contacts into OBD connector, so it also allows to scan new modules with CAN diagnostics much faster. Things like RNS-E, digital TV tuner, bluetooth phone module, AMI, etc. VCDS is fully aware of cars with mixed set of CAN diagnostics and legacy K-line diagnostics. When you scan D2 car with CAN Gateway VCDS looks at CAN Gateway installation list and very quickly scans all CAN-capable modules and then slowly scans all K-Line modules. Excellent.

Very interesting cable you found Adrian! -- it would be nice to take a look at picture of it before ordering to check if it'll fit iPhone 5 with a bumper

BTW, AMI is working tip top. Integration with iPhone 5 is **beautiful**. And I love location of AMI in my D2 -- right in driver's small storage box. Very very convenient.

I'll be purchasing also bluetooth A2DP streaming kit 4F0 051 510 J. Cable from it will also work with flash drives, hard drives, etc.

Last edited by notorious; 29th October 2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 29th October 2013, 10:26 PM

Great info - cheers mate

I can't find a google image of the cable so suspect it may be a recent addition. If I get a chance I'll ask my local Audi dealer if they have one on the shelf. I suspect it will have the narrow cable design like the charge lead so will be fine.

The 30 pin to Lightning adaptor is a complete waste of time if you use a case - I will probably return mine. It needs to be longer, either using a flick out extension or made longer and then fitted with a removable collar if you want to use it without a case. Without a genuine cable that fits with the case I would be tempted to do without AMI for myself as 2x64GB SDHC cards will probably hold every piece of music I own!

My shopping list keeps getting longer lol

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 29th October 2013, 10:46 PM

Adrian,

In terms of adaptor why don't you buy model with a short cable?

Just google for Apple adapter model MD824ZM/A.

It has a short cable and small lightning socket. Will work with the bumper.

Picture here:

http://mac-more.com/Lightning-to-30-pin-Adapter-0.2m
Old 29th October 2013, 11:06 PM

time to visit the apple store on regent street me thinks. Need to try and get a refund on the one I bought as it's useless for what I want

Old 21st December 2013, 05:14 PM

Just to update this thread:

Audi CAN Gateway part number "1K0 907 530 AD" will work even better, because it was made for earlier cars, but still supports AMI (Audi Media Player 3 address 2E) and road speed display for RNS-E 2010+.

Even earlier model "1K0 907 530 D" won't support AMI and road speed display for RNS-E 2010+.