A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 3rd April 2014, 07:35 PM

Default Wiper assembly - urgent help

Had loads of rain here in dorset, and now I have problems with the wipers. Basically the passenger side was juddering at the top end of the movement, and I could see that the scuttle panel was moving as well.

Now the rain has stopped, I have been outside to investigate and the problem is not the blades but the mechanism. The passenger side wiper spindle has loads of play in it. When you pull the arms off the screen you can rock the arm and spindle about, I think the arm is fully attached to the splines. Keep in mind I did remove the nut last weekend to see if I could work out why the cap I bought did not fit. Maybe the nut is not tight enough, but the arm is engaged ok on the splines.

I have a feeling the damage has been self inflicted, but I also have a feeling its going to be a pain in the backside to fix (and costly). My dad had a go at the fitting the wiper arm cap after I got a replacement, and tried to tap it into place and this has obviously broken something.

Feeling really down now and the D3 is starting to get on my nerves, its just one thing after another.

How does the assembly work, I have a feeling I'll be taking the car apart at the weekend. Before doing anything major I am going to remove the cap again and check that the nut is tight and that the arm has just not come loose, although I would have expected it to jump splines if it were loose.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles

Last edited by mannyo; 3rd April 2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:05 PM

Oh man, I feel for you, this must ends soon.
I've got no idea how it works.
My Mrs took over my office for an hour where I've got ETKA and Elsa, but as soon she is off I can jump on my office PC and see if can get you some info, fitting locations, drawings....????

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:11 PM

Marcin, I found a picture on ebay of an a8parts one. Looking at that there is not a lot that can go wrong, the spindle causing the problem is the closest in the picture below. I am going to check the wiper arm nut, since I removed it last weekend and maybe its loose I don't know. As long as its not raining in the morning I'll try that before heading to work.

I had a quick look at Etka but the drawing is not that great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2234.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	7678  
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles

Last edited by mannyo; 3rd April 2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:35 PM

That was my next advice, find a picture of a used one online and see whats there.
I really hope it wont be a complete replacement and it will all go well mate, will keep my fingers crossed Manny

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:40 PM

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ighlight=wiper

Is this any use?
I looks like the Phaeton wipers but hard to tell from photos and they have regular spindle problems. I know they have seperate motors and we have one, but the spindles look the same.
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:59 PM

Manny, take the wiper off, give the spindle a good clean with metal brush, wipe it down and make sure it's all clean.
Then pit the nut on and tighten down.

I had my A4 arms do the same and it was the nut

Past experience with Audi and BMW, it will take a lot of hitting and force to really break it.
Unless you're unlucky and the spindle has gone but if you take the cap off and wiggle the arm does the spindle move on it's own?
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 4th April 2014, 06:56 AM

Been outside this morning, since 7am getting to the bottom of the problem.

Removed the cap and wiggled the arm, and the whole lot moves, nut spindle and everything.
Removed nut, removed wiper arm and I am able to move the spindle in the bushings by hand. The movement is very small, but once the arm is on its magnified by the length of the arm.

So the bush on the passenger side is worn. I'll order a replacement linkage, found one on ebay that comes from a low mileage car so I'll order that and take it from there.

I've put it back together, and will live with it until I can replace the part.

Annoying as I was looking at retrofitting AMI and DVB-T but these little things keep cropping up.
Old 4th April 2014, 09:25 AM

Any idea what its like to get the wiper arm out?
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 4th April 2014, 10:26 AM

To remove the linkage is a piece of cake, already researched that.
Remove both arms,
Remove plenum covers from both sides,
Remove the lower trim from the windscreen,
Disconnect wiring to motor
Remove three bolts and lift out
Reverse to refit.

The picture below is the one I have ordered, its already dispatched. You can see it here attached to the car it was removed from. The picture shows the assembly with the plenum and screen trim removed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130226_125730_zps61db40f6.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	7679  

Last edited by mannyo; 4th April 2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 8th April 2014, 11:31 AM

Now got the part, exactly as pictured above. Manufactured date is November 2007 and there is no play in the bushings at all unlike the one currently on my car.