A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 10th May 2015, 05:52 PM

Default Performance upgrade air filter? 3.0tdi d3

Any one fitted an updated filter or know where to obtain one, what type of filter is it? A panel or actual cone filter?

Could easily fit a larger cone filter in the bay for well more noise I imagine.

I fitted an S2000 k&n filter to my Audi TTQS 240 as its a direct fit on the tip.
Old 19th May 2015, 07:23 PM

It's a waste of time as a clean original filter is not the 'bottleneck'. The car is also turbocharged and receives the air mass specified by the ecu. A cone would be worse as it would be taking in hot air. These filters are a throwback to the carburettor petrol days.
Old 20th May 2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
It's a waste of time as a clean original filter is not the 'bottleneck'. The car is also turbocharged and receives the air mass specified by the ecu. A cone would be worse as it would be taking in hot air. These filters are a throwback to the carburettor petrol days.
+1
Last thing you want is sucking in the hot, very hot air. Unless you go into trouble of building a custom box for it and drawing the air somewhere from the wing area or something like that, plus reprogramming the ECU.
Is just not worth it and and 8 is not the car for this sort of thing.

If you really want just to have something done then go with K&N or Green Filters direct replacement

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 27th June 2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
+1
Last thing you want is sucking in the hot, very hot air. Unless you go into trouble of building a custom box for it and drawing the air somewhere from the wing area or something like that, plus reprogramming the ECU.
Is just not worth it and and 8 is not the car for this sort of thing.

If you really want just to have something done then go with K&N or Green Filters direct replacement

Yeah I did think this but just want to hear the turbo noise abut more really. I had my Audi ttQS with a big filter and 3" tip with a custom box and it made a world of difference so just curious.

Where can I buy an uprated panel filter from as I need one?

Cheers mate.
Old 27th June 2015, 09:05 PM

I've got one of them

http://www.autoinparts.com/Air_Filte...duct_info.html

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 27th June 2015, 09:09 PM

For K&N Amazon looks the cheapest.
You need E-2999 part number

http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-2999-Filte.../dp/B0059JHCEY

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 28th June 2015, 04:24 AM

I would not bother. On unmodified cars air filter normally is not restricting airflow so changing it to 'performance' filter will not give you more power. Cotton filters while they can offer less restriction to airflow will let through more of dirt and dust which is not good for a mile munching road car. Oiled filters require regular cleaning and re-oiling, if you don't do it it will restrict airflow if dirty and pass moire dust through if not oily enough. Paper filters are somewhat self-cleaning, when there is not a lot of suction but you have some vibration some of the dust will drop off the filter. On the oiled cotton filter it will stuck on because of the oil. They are OK for the track if you care more about performance then life of engine and clean and re-oil before every race, don't think you will want to do it every week on the road car (well I could be exaggerating when I say every week but you get the idea) . Then there is possibility of oil getting on the MAF and affecting it's readings.

If you just want more noise drill holes in the dirty side of air filter box, obviously it will let in some warm air from engine bay and has potential to somewhat reduce power.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure