PDA

View Full Version : 2001 S8 windscreen replacement?

GlynH
8th September 2010, 03:43 PM
Well the time has come for me to finally change the windscreen...last winters chip has become this summers crack :mad:

Having had bad experiences before with Autoglas on a Cosworth Scorpio and 2 Transporter vans I have decided to go to National Windscreens as my current insurer also uses them.

Just been down to see them and was enquiring about the chances of fitting a heated screen in place of the standard one.

"They don't do them for that model" was the reply.

Fills you with confidence after reading the threads here and seeing pictures of same but hey-ho...

It would be nice to have a heated screeen as winter is fast approaching - I find it a bit like aircon - before you have it you think it's a luxury but after having gotten used t it you don't want to be without it.

And it's such a big screen to scrape! :ROFL:

I would appreciate any comments from those of you who have had windscreens fitted...I have read the threads here and bearing in mind my previous 'form' with windscreens want to ensure I get the best job done.

The Audi 'sponge' that is mentioned in another thread - is there a part number for that?

They tell me my screen is green/grey - no mirror boss so it looks like that will be the one that is ordered...unless I can source a heated screen of course?

And if I am able to source one will I be able to gain access to the wiring/terminals after the screen is fitted or will I need to supply the harness to National Windscreens to connect while fitting?

I am going to replace the outer trim as well as apart from a little rust bubbling along the top of the trim it looks like someone has tried to pick bits of rubber from the n/side. :tuttut:

According to a previous thread it looks like the part number for the trim is 4D0 853 299 F 01C

Any other gotchas I need to be aware of?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

A8 Owner
9th September 2010, 05:16 PM
Well first time they tryed to do mine, they put old trim back in. After the 4th try to get it right, they bought a a new trim with them. So check first if they supply new trim.
In my case, after the first few trys. I made them come out with me on a test , so they could here for them selfs. The windscreen rubbing/scrapping on the pillers, as you go over a slight bump or corner. (glass to metal)
First cpl of times i got fobbed with " car cant be driven for so many hrs" so they cant test drive it. Amazing tho, as after the 3rd time. They said they wanted to take it for test drive, as soon as they did it, to see if they cured prob.

thebluewhale
9th September 2010, 06:10 PM
I had my screen replaced in May by Auto Windscreens.

Apart from the nightmare I had with the office explaining the details it went very smoothly.
The guys who changed the screen were spot on.
When I showed them the thread about the noisy screen, he fitted some thicker sponge he carried on the van and the windscreen trim was supplied as well.

It's been fine since, and the guys did a first class job. Couldn't fault them.+++

GlynH
20th September 2010, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the replies guys...

No-one has the part number for the thicker sponge from Audi then?

Is it even an Audi part??

Is the windscreen just bonded in place and is there a special sealant for bonding to an aluminium body?

End of questions...:D

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

Conan_the_Librarian
20th September 2010, 09:26 AM
Part numbers required:

b 357 845 955 Cutting wire for removing windows
b DA 004 600 A2 2k-window adhesive set
b D 009 200 02 primer for glass and paint
b D 009 401 04 cleaning solution
b D 000 703 A1 One set glass metal adhesive

The foam is

8D0 845 237 distance piece (self adhesive) 10x5, 5x6,3 lower (3 of)
443 877 665 C Buffer (self adhesive) 11x5 mm upper

Nothing stopping you doing it now Glynn! +++:ROFL:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=1360&d=1284974975

GlynH
20th September 2010, 09:51 AM
Jesus wept...no wonder they call you 'Conan_the_Librariann' :D

<deliberate typo as you got my name wrong as well> ;)

Can I be cheeky and ask what windscreens were available for my car please?

The reason I ask is National Windscreens tell me the heated screen was never an option in the S8...I am told mine will be green on grey/no mirror boss or something like that...

I really must get around to installing ETKA/ELSAWin here one day...:rolleyes:

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Conan_the_Librarian
20th September 2010, 12:20 PM
-=Glyn=-, Ok (now I will get you mixed up with =-Glyn-=) :D

Heated front windscreen is:
4D0 845 099 CS

There a 6 different front screens only one heated.

The sealing strip is actually 4D0 863 197 A (25x11) or C (15x15)

tonupkid
20th September 2010, 09:17 PM
I had a heated front screen in my FL S8. Twas brilliant. Ensure that you get the athermic? metal lined screen.

PsYcHe
20th September 2010, 09:24 PM
You got one already? If not, then there's a whole load of extra stuff needed.

GlynH
18th October 2010, 04:37 PM

PsYcHe: I did read somewhere about all of the related items that go with it and no I don't have any of them...and it looks a hell of a job!

It's just that I thought I would take this opportunity to fit the heated screen in case I ever get round to the rest!

I might just take the easy option and go with the standard screen as its the only one National Windscreens supply! ;)

Conan_the_Librarian: OK Mike...thanks for all the info as always! +++
I am almost afraid to ask as I saw what you done to those guys in the library... :ROFL: but exactly what bits of foam do I need to supply to National Windscreens for them to make a proper job of replacing my windscreen? One of each listed but 3 x 8D0 845 237? 10x5 or 5x6? :Confused:

4D0 863 197 A (25x11)
4D0 863 197 C (15x15)

I guess they will have the wire/primer/solution/adhesive or would I just be better off supplying everything apart from the damn screen? :D

Also Mike (last point I promise) you mentioned above there are 6 different screens?

Don't suppose it would be possible to post the part number & descriptions please?

Pretty please?

With bells on?

<ducking>

According to NW mine should be green over grey no mirror boss...or something like that anyway!

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

r8dream
18th October 2010, 05:43 PM
epc and pdf of part numbers are available here.
however look for rhd as opposed to lhd.
you have to log in to vag cat to part view numbers.

http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/au/A8Q/
or
http://www.audipages.com/partslist.html

GlynH
18th October 2010, 06:13 PM
I used VAGCAT over a number of years but when I tried over a period of weeks a few months ago I was unable to logon to the catalog.

Is it back up & running?

ISTR that both VAGCAT and Paul Waterloo's excellent website has a distinct American bias (not surprising really :ROFL: ) so some of the parts may not be applicable...

Found that out when I tried to order an MFSW control module from a picture on an in-depth MFSW retrofit.

I also have the Bentley Manual but again that is US specific...lots of good info though.

I wish I could get hold of ETKA & ELSAWIN...

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

PsYcHe
18th October 2010, 06:16 PM
Glyn,

You can get ETKA and ELSAWin from a TORRENT of places, though we wouldn't recommend that approcach as THE police would take a dim view of that with you being a PIRATE and we want to keep that stuff at BAY.

*ahem*

Conan_the_Librarian
18th October 2010, 06:45 PM
Glyn,

You can get ETKA and ELSAWin from a TORRENT of places, though we wouldn't recommend that approcach as THE police would take a dim view of that with you being a PIRATE and we want to keep that stuff at BAY.

*ahem*

Subtle as a brick after 8 pints of buckfastly! :ROFL:

Conan_the_Librarian
18th October 2010, 06:48 PM

PsYcHe: I did read somewhere about all of the related items that go with it and no I don't have any of them...and it looks a hell of a job!

It's just that I thought I would take this opportunity to fit the heated screen in case I ever get round to the rest!

I might just take the easy option and go with the standard screen as its the only one National Windscreens supply! ;)

Conan_the_Librarian: OK Mike...thanks for all the info as always! +++
I am almost afraid to ask as I saw what you done to those guys in the library... :ROFL: but exactly what bits of foam do I need to supply to National Windscreens for them to make a proper job of replacing my windscreen? One of each listed but 3 x 8D0 845 237? 10x5 or 5x6? :Confused:

4D0 863 197 A (25x11)
4D0 863 197 C (15x15)

I guess they will have the wire/primer/solution/adhesive or would I just be better off supplying everything apart from the damn screen? :D

Also Mike (last point I promise) you mentioned above there are 6 different screens?

Don't suppose it would be possible to post the part number & descriptions please?

Pretty please?

With bells on?

<ducking>

According to NW mine should be green over grey no mirror boss...or something like that anyway!

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

You won't know what you need to fit the new one until the old one is out. If your paying someone to do it then the fitting is up to them just tell them the parts they might need. I've never replace one just removed one. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Conan_the_Librarian
18th October 2010, 07:05 PM
Part numbers as grovellingly requested :)
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=1428&stc=1&d=1287342232

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=1429&stc=1&d=1287342232

GlynH
19th October 2010, 03:13 AM
Subtle indeed! :ROFL:

Thanks for the heads-up PsYcHe but I never take anything from places like that...I was kinda hoping for an original but I guess unless I am a dealer then it is a no-no?

Thanks for the detailed info as always Mike! +++

Can you tell I don't trust NW to do a good job? I've had some very poor experiences with a heated screen fitted to my old Cosworth Scorpio where they cut off the receptacle crimps and just twisted & taped the wires together oblivious about weatherproofing or the current that gets passed along the cables :mad:

I ended up soldering/heat-shrinking the cables myself but would have preferred the factory-fit terminals...I am guessing the replacement screen not being the genuine article just had a bare wire connection or something...

Even my trusty 1998 T4 has had two screens fitted neither of which went without incident.

I know it is an old van but the first time it came away with scratches on the bonnet and enough mastic to prevent the Titanic from sinking.

Funny thing was when I took it back to have another screen fitted a few years later the fitter was taking the **** and asked me WTF fitted the last one?

Took the wind out o fhis sails and stopped him mid-flow when I told him they did...:D

After reading about squeaking screens on the Audi I was hoping I could at least minimize the pain by supplying everything they might need...still no guarantee of them fitting the bits properly of course...:rolleyes:

Why does it nearly always seem to much to ask just to get a proper job done these days?

Remind me again why I don't use a Main Dealer? ;)

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

ainarssems
7th November 2010, 05:27 AM
If You want something to get done right do it Yourself

RanjS8
29th March 2011, 12:56 PM
My windscreen picked up a couple of stone chipsover the winter...so I m tinking best get it sorted....have to say after reading this I m not very confident it will be done well....but am intrigued by heated windscreen idea...

This brings me to the point....why do mechanics call themselves professionals
when more often than not an enthusiast can do a better job?????....

Ps elsawin and etka are very useful pieces of kit so well
worth the perseverence to source the two...

Goran
30th March 2011, 06:36 AM
I dont know if it helps, I had the same dilemma a year and a half ago when my screen got smashed by a massive pebble on the autobahn.
I was going to go for Autoglass and before I did I searched the web for reviews, most of them bad, damaged trim, scratched up frame, etc.
One of the bad reviews was on Pistonheads, and someone reccomended Glasstec. All the reviews of Glasstec where good, so I went with them.

http://www.glasstecauto.co.uk/

I think Glasstec is just one man, I watched him work, he did a very professional job, protected the internal trim, didnt damage the frame, I was very pleased.
I decided to replace my heated tinted screen with a non-heated non-tinted one so that made it a bit easier, and cheaper, and as a bonus my GPS works without problems now.

jayzee
30th March 2011, 11:49 AM
I dont know if it helps, I had the same dilemma a year and a half ago when my screen got smashed by a massive pebble on the autobahn.
I was going to go for Autoglass and before I did I searched the web for reviews, most of them bad, damaged trim, scratched up frame, etc.
One of the bad reviews was on Pistonheads, and someone reccomended Glasstec. All the reviews of Glasstec where good, so I went with them.

http://www.glasstecauto.co.uk/

I think Glasstec is just one man, I watched him work, he did a very professional job, protected the internal trim, didnt damage the frame, I was very pleased.
I decided to replace my heated tinted screen with a non-heated non-tinted one so that made it a bit easier, and cheaper, and as a bonus my GPS works without problems now.

Bookmarked - thanks +++