A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Closed Thread

Old 14th September 2011, 05:43 PM

Default Travellers

Obviously Dale Farm is in the news at the moment, but I've come home to find that our village is now the preferred site for a traveller settlement of 30 caravans.

Irrespective of views of the travelling community, the major concern is the impact this will have on the price of our property. The settlement would be some 800 yards up the road from our estate. We're frantically trying to pay the mortgage off quickly in any case, as it is our only way to move to a bigger house, but this is now a massive concern.

I read an article that stated something about 'private land owners' withdrew their offers of land after too many complaints from local residents - I didn't know that was how the council provisions land for travellers, by renting it?! I thought it would be provided on council land?!

The news in the local public house is that the land 'proposed' in our village - a disused farm, is already owned by a promenant member of the travelling community. If that is the case, objections won't necessarily mean anything?!
Old 14th September 2011, 06:28 PM

Leave these guys alone.

The increase in crime and decrease in property value has nothing to do with them......
Old 14th September 2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
Leave these guys alone.

The increase in crime and decrease in property value has nothing to do with them......
Disagree. Whenever they grace our locale, things start disappearing, except that is, for the mountain of crud and filth that remains when they depart.
Old 15th September 2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
Disagree. Whenever they grace our locale, things start disappearing, except that is, for the mountain of crud and filth that remains when they depart.
I think he was being sarcastic!

What has always amazed me is why HMRC doesn't seem to pay too much interest in people who don't pay tax but can spend tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds to buy land, not to mention carvans/static homes, cars, weddings....
Old 15th September 2011, 09:16 PM

Um. I should have noticed the
Old 20th September 2011, 12:51 PM

Why are the Dale Farm ones still called 'Travellers' - they ain't travelled for 20 years or so.....
Old 20th September 2011, 01:08 PM

And some of their 'caravans' looked more like houses to me.
Old 20th September 2011, 07:26 PM

If they just called them people, we'd get all confused, and maybe think that they were people... like us
What happened to calling them tinkers. I thought travellers were more like drop-outs and alternative lifestylers
Old 21st September 2011, 07:58 PM

Got any scrap mate.

Is what I get at least 3 or 4 times a week.

What really gets me is as they are stood in the workshop they are looking round for stuff to take even though you have said no.

There is one that we deal with that gives a good price for batteries and cat's etc but the rest just seem want to steal stuff.

My 2p.
Old 22nd September 2011, 08:22 AM

I know someone that has gone to a site with a transit tipper and stole thier scrap to see how they liked it
Closed Thread