A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 23rd January 2012, 01:09 PM

Default Advice on oil quantity and type?

All,

My car (D3 4E 3.0TDI) is about to have a major service, so need to order some oil, gearbox oil, diff oil and transfer box oil.

I am currently in the office, so do not have the books with me. Consequently, can someone please tell what quantities are required and recommendations of brandss/grades etc?

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd January 2012, 03:42 PM

Can't help on the specification front, but Opie oils have a free shipping deal they've extended which applies to all orders over £40 - their free shipping got to me next day via Yodal!

They have an online guide but I wouldn't assume it's 100% accurate
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/t-recommen...r-or-bike.aspx

I would assume you need 2 bottles of any oil, whether they are 4 or 5 litres each.

I'm trying a non-VAG approved oil from Fuchs this time on the basis I'm no longer under warranty and will do many less miles per annum than a typical Audi.
Old 25th January 2012, 09:39 AM

Hi,

I was also thinkg of buying the Fuchs oil. Let us know how you get on.

I have confirmed that the oil capacity is 9.2L. However, am unsure about the oil quantity for the gearbox. My local TPS reckons it needs 9L and £22/Litre!! Apparently, it also needs an oil strainer at around £30. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 10:19 AM

you will probably need more than 9 litres of gearbox oil, as you need to flush the old stuff out too.

I bought a 20 litre container from Coventry Audi, used almost all of it, I don't remember how much but was nowhere near that price, although mine was a D2 if that makes a difference.

There must be a 'how-to' thread somewhere on here, pretty sure there are a couple more parts required, you also need to think about how you are going to drain/flush old gearbox oil out.