A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 8th March 2013, 02:27 AM

Default Battery first

I would check the battery first...check the carpets in the passenger and driver footwell that will tell you if there is water ingress...
01 Audi a8 fl sport - Grey, Bose, Glass Sunroof, S8 grill/mirror covers/wheels, Aftermarket Exhaust, very quick and lots of fun!!!!!....well I gave it one final push on the pedal to hear that v8 growl and then it was off to a new home.....
99 Audi a8 fl - Silver, Black alcantara seat/ S8 grill/side mirror, MFSW, Solar Sunroof, 17" Monoblocks (for that extra cushion of air), Rnsc, Bose.....great motorway cruiser....now gone to a new home
02 Final Edition S8 - Avus Silver, Extended Leather Pack III, Front & Rear Heated Seats, Servo, Blinds, Rear Seat Entairtainment with Playstation, Bose, Bi Xenons.....now gone to a new home
97 PF A8 4.2 quattro sport - Cashmere Grey, Servo, RNS E, Blinds, Bose, 20 Final Edition Alloys, LPG....sold sadly and will be missed
03 S4 V8 Saloon - Misano red, Manual, Milltek, Bose, Xenons, RNS E - Sold as of Feb 2012

Old 8th March 2013, 06:03 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Why the battery? Not sure how that impacts on this
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 8th March 2013, 07:13 AM

Think its more of a d3 thing, but generally a battery that isn't in 1st flush of youth can start causing issues with the electronics, especially on cold start

May just have to wait for what appears an intermittent fault to become permanent before it can be diagnosed properly.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 8th March 2013, 07:36 AM

The voltage on older batteries dip below the threshold when you're cranking the engine over causing ECUs to go into panic mode and throw wobblies. Once the vehicle has been run and some charge put back into the battery the ECUs are happy again and behave again until the next time

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 8th March 2013, 07:48 AM

With reference to the Battery..... it can cause all sorts of weird issues...

A few weeks back I hadn't used the S for 2 weeks and got in to start it up and all sorts of major warning lights appeared on the displays...
My first thought was that some major electronic part had popped.

A quick call to my local Audi agent and advised to jump lead another battery and all was healthy again.

Apparantly at certain levels of low charge the ECU throws up varying warnings....

" Love the Sound of a V8....... All Day " *still wish it was a V10*

2002 S8 D2 F/L
H & R Springs, Koni Coil Overs, Dastek Chip, Sport Exhaust, 19" S5 Rims, Solar Sun Roof (Cause we have Sun) and most of the Bells & Whistles.
Old 8th March 2013, 10:55 AM

Default Warnings disappeared

Hence why when you driven the car for a while everything seemed to go back to normal.

What I would do is go to your local halfords and they will do a battery test for free....if all good you can then consider other possibilities.
01 Audi a8 fl sport - Grey, Bose, Glass Sunroof, S8 grill/mirror covers/wheels, Aftermarket Exhaust, very quick and lots of fun!!!!!....well I gave it one final push on the pedal to hear that v8 growl and then it was off to a new home.....
99 Audi a8 fl - Silver, Black alcantara seat/ S8 grill/side mirror, MFSW, Solar Sunroof, 17" Monoblocks (for that extra cushion of air), Rnsc, Bose.....great motorway cruiser....now gone to a new home
02 Final Edition S8 - Avus Silver, Extended Leather Pack III, Front & Rear Heated Seats, Servo, Blinds, Rear Seat Entairtainment with Playstation, Bose, Bi Xenons.....now gone to a new home
97 PF A8 4.2 quattro sport - Cashmere Grey, Servo, RNS E, Blinds, Bose, 20 Final Edition Alloys, LPG....sold sadly and will be missed
03 S4 V8 Saloon - Misano red, Manual, Milltek, Bose, Xenons, RNS E - Sold as of Feb 2012

Old 8th March 2013, 02:30 PM

This doesn't sound right. I was over half an hour into my commute (mostly dual carriageway and motorway) and had covered close to 30 miles from starting when the lights came on and the power went. I restarted it when I arrived at work, and they all stayed on. Then, 8 hours later, when I started it again, the EPC light was out and power was back again. Finally, after another 20 miles or thereabouts, a restart at A4 Audi saw all the lights out.

So, not related to a cold start at all, I don't think. And cold starting isn't ever a problem.

But it's reminiscent of my wipers giving up some months ago (in almost exactly the same spot on the M8), not resuming on a restart, but working fine again at the end of the day. And no recurrence (he said with fingers crossed).

Perhaps this is Glasgow's own Bermuda Triangle?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 8th March 2013, 04:21 PM

Looks a bit like the screwdriver bit holders I have in my set (it's not one of mine )

I know.. I know..

Old 13th April 2013, 03:11 PM

Default EPC,ABS and ESP lights

Hi, this is my first post although i have owned my S8 for just over 12 months and have put 25k on it since then. Needless to say having found this forum i do browse it regularly and noticed your post. I live near Cardiff and entrust all work on my car with Fairwater Garage who have installed a BRC lpg system, carried out box oil change and remedied a couple of electrical gremlins the most recent of which mirrors the problem you have. I have had 2 prior occurrences since letting Simon at Fairwater carry out diagnostic work this past week, I might add that my lights were coming on when it rained and then clearing down when things dried out. I have spoken to him briefly on the phone since getting my car back today, apparently 2 fault codes were logged: ABS and throttle potentiometer. He traced the faults to the plugs contained in the plastic box in the windscreen scuttle. The seal on the box has degraded and let moisture in resulting in corrosion to the pins of the plugs which relate to each of the fault codes. The plugs have been replaced/repaired and the box resealed. He sent me 4 photos which hopefully i can attach. It's an easy and worthwhile check for condensation under the cover which could be a clue to plug issues either present or likely in the future if moisture continues to get in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	audi s8-1.jpeg
Views:	328
Size:	481.2 KB
ID:	5857   Click image for larger version

Name:	audi s8-2.jpeg
Views:	310
Size:	465.9 KB
ID:	5858   Click image for larger version

Name:	audi s8-3.jpeg
Views:	315
Size:	467.1 KB
ID:	5859   Click image for larger version

Name:	audi s8-4.jpeg
Views:	282
Size:	569.4 KB
ID:	5860  
Old 14th April 2013, 06:34 AM

Thanks I'll have a look and see. My garage had suggested water ingress too, but hadn't explored further as there were no fault codes and the problem went away.

BTW, if you've not already done so, introduce yourself and add your name and details to the members list.

And welcome!