A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Generic A8 / S8 forums > A8 / S8 Generic Posts

A8 / S8 Generic Posts All other useful info

Old 17th December 2012, 12:45 PM

Default Has anyone noticed…?

How hard picking decent D2 has become? There are 5/6 D2 S8's for sale on Autotrader in the whole country, I remember when there used to be two pages worth. Is this the turning point where the D2 S8 starts to appreciate? After spending a lot of time in the D4, and then going in the D2 - You realise what a great car the D2 is, the D4 will be swapped for a D5 when it comes out, but the D2 will never be sold. That says something.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 15th March 2013, 06:57 PM

Digging up this old post.

Amar, I have noticed an ever dwindling supplies of good D2's as well and not just the S8.

Looking at howmanyleft.co.uk the stats speak for themselves. There were 441 taxed S8 D2's on the road at the end of Q3 2012, the number is steadily dropping.
http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle...2_quattro_auto

The number of D2 3.7 QS models is even less at just 152 at the end of the same quarter.
http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle...tro_sport_auto
That makes 50 less on the road since I bought the one I now have.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 15th March 2013, 07:06 PM

68 4.2 quattro sports registered..........

Seems a bit low to me

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 15th March 2013, 07:10 PM

The data is provided by the DVLA,

if you search for just A8 4.2 you get quiet a lot of variants come up. Maybe some of the ordinary 4.2's are in fact Quattro Sports.

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=audi+a8+4.2
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 15th March 2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
Digging up this old post.

Amar, I have noticed an ever dwindling supplies of good D2's as well and not just the S8.

Looking at howmanyleft.co.uk the stats speak for themselves. There were 441 taxed S8 D2's on the road at the end of Q3 2012, the number is steadily dropping.
http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle...2_quattro_auto

The number of D2 3.7 QS models is even less at just 152 at the end of the same quarter.
That makes 50 less on the road since I bought the one I now have.
....Or, if you look at it the other way, there are still more than 500 S8's in one piece out a total of only 670 registered - i.e nearly 80% of the total volume, if I read these numbers right, which isn't bad, 10 years after production stopped. However, there were some different interpretations of these numbers on this forum last time "How Many Left" was discussed, which was a while ago.

Out of curiosity, and as a comparison, I had a look at the equivalent data on this site for the Fiat Coupe, my other weekend car. For that vehicle, there are less than 1900 taxed or SORN'ed cars remaining out of a total of 3600 Fiat Coupe 20v turbos, and these numbers are declining at a faster rate than the S8 (i.e there are just over 50% left). I think this is partly because it's an older model (production from 1996 to 2000), and partly because they are less well made/well cared for (cough!...).

Either way, what I've found, as a consequence of these factors with the Fiat, is that parts for the Coupe are now becoming increasingly hard to come by over the last year - and that's from production/registration with seven times higher volume. I don't think it has reached that stage yet for the S8/D2, but may do in the next year or two. Hopefully it'll be longer than that .
Old 16th March 2013, 07:02 AM

I suspect the larger volumes of '8s generally in Continental Europe, plus Audi's usual trait of reusing parts across models, plus the aftermarket support for Audi parts in general should see parts supply remain good for many years to come - there will be increased difficulty in getting hold of model specific bits of trim as parts dwindle to zero or are sold off as uneconomic to store. To a degree it's already happened - I can't buy replacement bits of trim in purple for my interior, even if I wanted to!

If anyone's looking for a decent S8 mine is still available

Adrian

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC