A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Generic A8 / S8 forums > A8 / S8 Generic Posts

A8 / S8 Generic Posts All other useful info

Old 10th January 2010, 12:17 PM

Thumbs up Quattro - designed to embarass other cars..

Not sure if you guys have been staying off the road for the last few days, but I'll bore you with my experiences of "Britain's Worst Winter" c/o Audi!

Over the past three days I've been travelling through Herefordshire, Cheshire and Worcestershire (I know! I ignored weather warnings, but work is busy and we want to move house!). We considered bringing the wife's 4x4, but I had faith in the S8.

I couldn't help feeling sorry for rwd BMWs and Mercs swerving wildy across roads and junctions as the '8 just gripped and drove brilliantly. However, I would like to tip my hat to the lone moron in Dursley who sat right up my a** for 4 miles as I drove cross-country, repeatedley closing in to overtake in treacherous conditions, only to lose it completely at the snow-covered Dursley junction: SO sorry mate, I didn't have time to come back with my kids to take your nearside wheel out of that ditch: you total ****. Maybe next time you'll keep a safe distance from a car with kids in, when you don't know the limits of yours eh?.

Yesterday, I was house-hunting in the Forest of Dean, where an estate agent took one smarmy look at the '8 and stated "you'll never get near the place in that mate". He took a 4x4 and I followed in the '8 on the agreement that we'd abandon mine if things got bad. We had to travel off main roads and on to tracks that had not been cleared (foot deep snow), but the '8 just kept going (acting like a friggin' snowplough though with the ground clearance!). We got to the isolated cottage easily, but almost had a drama getting back out (so did his 4x4). With a bit of perseverance the quattro did it's job and we drove straight out again. The estate agent guy was gobsmacked!

I did feel bad when I saw a Mondeo driver doing his best to get to work up a steep incline in compacted snow in Gloucestershire: he kept moving a yard and sliding back 3 yards, asking for an accident .....I pull out of a parallel road and just cruise up the incline as the wife's jaw drops!! She's now a big fan of the S8.

We have travelled across 3 snow-laden counties over 2 days without a hitch.
I just wish Heineken made Audi gearboxes!

Wait for my update as I get completely stuck travelling home today!

Last edited by jmw748; 10th January 2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10th January 2010, 12:20 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

LOL. excellent result.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 10th January 2010, 01:51 PM

Old 10th January 2010, 07:58 PM

Noticed that mine tended to wheel spin the front and the back did bugger all - had to put in reverse and go back a few inches, then back in drive and away she would go.....

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 15th January 2010, 10:13 PM

Nice stories (well apart from the **** up your arse!)

Our road is on quite a steep slope, and our house is about 2/3 of the way up the incline where all the 2WD cars run out of steam. Time and time again, they take run up after run up, some more successful than others... then we simply drive straight out and up the hill, much to the amazement of all the neighbours...
Old 15th January 2010, 11:02 PM

I just had to try the '8' out on the slippery stuff, most impressive, and quite a lot of fun (but completely manageable) with the ESP off.

Its a lot more fun than my 4x4, but in a different way, the Paj would obviously be far superior 'off road' for obvious reasons and that it has knobbly tyres too.....

No drama in the '8' whatsoever, a fabulous vehicle, and one I like more every time I drive it!

Other vehicles
1968 Rover P5B Coupe (Modified & V-Quick, but I have to sell this now ... Boo Hoo!)
'92 Mitsubishi Pajero V6 (Petrol) Super Exceed (Gone now)
'06 Harley Davidson Night Train
Oh Yes....... The '98 PF S8!