A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 7th February 2012, 03:12 PM

Default The deed is done

Ranj is having my S8, the lucky devil

I sorted out the slight confusion over what exactly that I would be getting yesterday. A C350CDI Blue Efficiency Estate....

Financially its the right decision, but I'm going to miss the S8. That said I have a great looking car coming, Dark grey metallic, pimp tints, AMG pack with 18" alloys, Black Leather. Its also got enough toys, including 7 speed paddle shift auto, Comand Sat Nav, Media Interface, Heated Seats, Power boot. Equally important is 231hp & 398lbs ft, 0-62mph in 6.5secs, 35mpg realistic average and RWD.

I bought this with plans to continue to go to the Nurburgring in mind. It should be quick enough to satisfy my performance needs, but without the aural delights of V8

I still plan to stick around on here, as I'm hoping for a few exceptional invites to 8 meets including the Annual meet. (, I'll park round the corner).
Old 7th February 2012, 03:31 PM
Banned

well its gone to a Good home then at least, i was tempted to be honest there is a black 2002 on hear for sale and i thought about adding it to my collection of toys as it was the right price
Old 7th February 2012, 09:28 PM

sounds exactly same as my father's, albeit his is black, I love the voice control in his.

enjoy
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 10th February 2012, 03:22 PM

Enjoy your new car Jethro, I'd like to see some photos and a brief report once you've collected her. Glad your not leaving the fold either
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 10th February 2012, 05:07 PM

Nice car the 350CDI and a great engine. Enjoy...

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 10th February 2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Enjoy your new car Jethro, I'd like to see some photos and a brief report once you've collected her. Glad your not leaving the fold either
Yeah, I'm not going anywhere, except Germany and the Lake District

I pick the Merc up tomorrow at 11am. So I'll post some pictures tomorrow afternoon I guess. I drove the actual car for the first time last night and was very pleased. The dealers are less so, because its probably cost them the better part of £1250 to get her up to sale condition. 2yr full service, two new rear tyres (Conti's, not cheap!), two new wheels instead of refurb and I think they'll have replaced the bonnet too by tomorrow. There were four small dents on the bonnet, that I doubt they will get out and they already volunteered to swap this if they can't repair this.

I got the plate change docs through this morning, so the S8 will back onto her original plate before Ranj comes to wheel her away. Still have a couple of niggling doubts about this, but I've also got new car fever, so I'll not sleep too well tonight. I feel like an 8 yr old on Christmas Eve.
Old 12th February 2012, 10:12 AM

Default The Alternative Reality

Hi,
well this is the new car.

Initial impressions are entirely favourable. For a small premium estate it looks the mutt's nutts. The colour is perfect and it sits beautifully on the 18" wheels, which are brand new all round I would have preferred the grey leather interior, but the black is still classy and unmarked.

The engine is a pearler, very strong and exceptionally refined, its every bit as quick as the S8. Unfortunately it makes absolutely no noise whatsoever, so quiet its unnerving. I used to love the roar of the V8, this has got none of that The handling however is no disappointment. I drove the C63 estate a couple of years ago, this is almost as good so far, I can feel the car adjusting as I push or back off. The 7 speed auto shifts smoothly and quickly up the box in normal mode and is a bit sluggish to kick down, no doubt thanks it programming. However the sport mode sorts that out and the manual mode is great, with proper flappy paddles. Gearing is galactic as you would expect, 80mph in 7th equates to about 1900rpm.

Sat in the car, the seats are very comfortable. I'm still working to find the best position and am suffering from a slight lack of under thigh support not having adjustable squab of the S8 Recaro, but I expect to be fine when I get the squab and backrest angles where I want them. The climate control is spot on, I put the temp in and left it. The Comand Nav and Audio system is a revelation. It works beautifully, and doesn't sound half bad either.

Overall I know I have made an exceptional choice, especially as the deal was sweetened by all the preparation the car received before delivery.

Old 12th February 2012, 10:37 AM

That looks lovely mate - we should swap and try each others when youve settled into it one day at a meet to see how the A7 tdi and merc tdi compare. The stats are pretty similar. Audi have just introduced a very interesting 313 bhp tdi A7 engine into the mix now which has a 0-60 time of 5.3 instead of 6.1 for mine which is a 245 bhp. I will talk to you about the plug in tuning box Ive acquired for mine which has improved bhp by 45-50 and Nm by 100 up to 600 now, and all still at minimum of 35 mpg and max of 44-45ish!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 12th February 2012, 10:50 AM

Those seats look really flat and unsupportive, I really don't understand how you've let the S8 go, I mean this in the nicest possible way. I hope your part ex'ing this Merc for a D3 soon. Otherwise it looks like a fairly sensible motor. In theory swapping to a Merc diesel makes sense, I hope it really works for you in practice too. See you at a meet soon.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 12th February 2012, 11:01 AM

I have to say though Amar I would generally put interiors into the following order of preference - Audi then Merc then BMW. I can't find myself warming to BMWs interiors because I feel like I've been cheated for the money you pay for the car it doesnt feel very special in them.

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs