A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   RNS-D to RNS-E Retrofit - Couple of Questions (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16682)

steamship 20th May 2022 12:18 PM

RNS-D to RNS-E Retrofit - Couple of Questions

3 Attachment(s)
Toying with the idea of fitting a RNS-E, and looking a few answers. I've read through the following two threads a couple of times, created by IT and Singh back in 2010, but I seem to be missing some references to various bits. Hoping that someone has a very good memory of doing these.

IT's thread: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1544

Singh's thread: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1600

I've also borrowed some of their photos for reference to explain what I mean.

1. RNS-E - Ian showed a picture of the back of the RNS-D and RNS-E and said that none of the connectors were transferable. Looking at the photos of the various Kufatec items Ian also posted, there is a large multi-pin connector on the RNS-E that I didn't see anything being connected to. All the other connectors I can figure out. What is this connector (#1 in the first picture) for as it seems pretty prominent? Singh shows a picture of the back of his RNS-E and that connector doesn't have anything fitted.

2. RNS-D - Singh showed a picture of a bunch of cables that he couldn't find a destination for. The two of those I'm interested in are the large black rectangular connector and the round black multi-pin connector. If none of the connectors are transferable, does that mean this black one is redundant? The round black connector I know comes from the CD changer (and plugs into #2 in the first picture), but again it doesn't seem to connect to the RNS-E, so how does the RNS-E control the CD changer?

Can't get my head round the fact that two seemingly important connectors on the RNS-D can be made redundant, with the only loss of features being the navigation display in the DIS.

HPsauce 20th May 2022 12:21 PM

Sean, the round black (DIN) connector is for RGB video input, i.e. TV originally.
I use that on my S8 for the reversing camera. As most modern cameras have CVBS output you need a CVBS-RGB converter.

Not sure offhand what video input the RNS-E has...

steamship 20th May 2022 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 169730)
Sean, the round black (DIN) connector is for RGB video input, i.e. TV originally.

And there was me thinking I knew what I was talking about. :o

MikkiJayne 20th May 2022 12:58 PM

The big rectangular connector only has about 3 wires in it iirc - can't remember if they go to the tv tuner or phone interface. I think its a kind of auxiliary interface which is probably redundant with the RNS-e.

The CD changer comes in on one of the three small square connectors which are locked together -yellow, blue or green.

HPsauce 20th May 2022 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 169730)
Not sure offhand what video input the RNS-E has...

The mapping of the TV signals is documented here: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....47&postcount=7
RNS-E takes the same signals as RNS-D just into a different socket.

HPsauce 20th May 2022 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 169732)
The big rectangular connector only has about 3 wires in it iirc - can't remember if they go to the tv tuner or phone interface. I think its a kind of auxiliary interface which is probably redundant with the RNS-e.

The CD changer comes in on one of the three small square connectors which are locked together -yellow, blue or green.

The entirety of the CD changer wiring is in one block of that, including the power supply. I've hacked into it a while back and can confirm that.
The other two parts of the 3-colour connector are for telephone and line out (for Bose?).

The round DIN-style connector mentioned above is for video INPUT only. The commands to the TV tuner go by another route, probably the big connector (via Canbus?)?
The big connector has the Canbus (2 wires) and RFLS (reverse, one wire) definitely, not sure anything else of importance.

Edit: I think the NF+ and NF- pins are for telephone audio (input to RNS), not sure about DFA_R and DFA_L ...... (Though one post I found online suggested they were wheel speed sensors input to the Satnav :Confused: ) I guess someone prepared to work through a wiring diagram could figure that out! :rolleyes:

HPsauce 20th May 2022 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 169736)
The entirety of the CD changer wiring is in one block of that, including the not sure about DFA_R and DFA_L ...... (Though one post I found online suggested they were wheel speed sensors input to the Satnav :Confused: ) I guess someone prepared to work through a wiring diagram could figure that out! :rolleyes:

OK so that was me! I happen to have a wiring diagram (Current Flow) PDF on my PC. :cool:
A search for DFA produced a pair of direct connections (L and R) between the RNS (J402) and the "ABS with EDL control unit" J104. +++
So if your car has that wiring it's presumably input from the ABS to the SatNav. Whether RNS-E needs it or not is another question....

Edit: As Ian (IT) noted in his thread (linked to by Sean) the RNS-E Canbus setup is different to the RNS-D, that may be why there's a whole unused connector!

Ronin 9th June 2022 02:17 PM

why not stick an android in and get the car's infotainment up to date?

steamship 10th June 2022 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 169950)
why not stick an android in and get the car's infotainment up to date?

The main reason is cost. Second reason is that I just want something to play music and give me sat nav whenever I need either of them.

IT 10th June 2022 03:14 PM

The big black connector, from memory, has few wires in it. I seem to recall it has a gala/wheel pulse input (from abs) and reverse line signal (so the car knows if the pulse is going forwards or backwards).

There was a second 'gala' input on the 8 way power block, which was also a speed input.

One was used for the GPS positioning, and one was used only for telling the unit you were moving, and to turn the TV off if in motion. A common hack was to put that on a switch so tv in motion would work. Sat nav was unaffected.

Likewise, losing a reverse signal isn't the end of the world, unless you spend a lot of time driving backwards underground, but I also suspect that signal would be mirrored over canbus which the RNS-E would likely read natively from the cluster.

So, yes, i dont doubt that black connector is happily surplus.

On the Cd changer, vw/seat/skoda/RNS-E Audi all used a square connector for the CD changer. When I did my retrofit, I swapped the CD changer cable for one of those and it plugged straight in.

I guess, with the RNE-E having SD cards, the need to CD is somewhat reduced so not something people worry about plugging in.