Thread: Saudi F1
View Single Post
Old 6th December 2021, 10:23 AM

I just hope that Adu Dhabi next week doesn't end like the Senna/Prost and Hill/Schmacher races, and we get a proper race 'on the track'.

I checked the F1 site earlier and Max has been given a further 10 second penalty for braking, which resulted in that shunt. Given the evidence they had, I fully support that.

Since we are only privy to what is broadcast and radio messages delayed, there is something that didn't sit right with me at the time, and still doesn't. Paul di Resta mentioned it a couple of times, but it wasn't followed up by any of the others.

Masi tells Red Bull to hand position back to Mercedes. We don't know the timings for this and assume that he also informs Mercedes. Max is told by his team to hand the position back. Max slows to let Lewis past (neither want to be first over the DRS line) and results in the shunt. We later hear a message from the Mercedes pit wall (my assumption) to Masi saying something like "you've told Max to let Lewis past, but he's not slowing down to do so". Now, that statement confirms that the pit wall knew Max was told to give the position back, so why did they NOT tell Lewis, since all the speculation was that Lewis didn't know.

With that in mind, had that order not been given by Masi, why didn't Lewis overtake a slowing Max, that Paul di Resta commented on? The various views of the incident don't show any indications (flags or lights) that would lead Lewis to think that there was a genuine reason why he shouldn't pass Max.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds