View Single Post
Old 7th February 2023, 05:11 PM

A bit more work done in between other stuff around the house, and decided to try and do a few other things whilst the front of the car is off.

With the fans and covers off I noticed that the 3.7 only has the one idler pulley, unlike the 4.2s you see in MJs threads. The kit came with two and I initially thought that the previous 'mechanic' hadn't fitted the second one (in position 1 in the photo) or had broken the old bolt and just left it. Not shown in this photo, but whilst removing the bolts for the water pump, the one shown in position 2 snapped off as soon as I tried turning it. After removing the pump, there is a combination of old gasket and black sealant, so it was never sealed properly, with it rusting through the bolt.

In terms of the two belts, the poly v-belt is in a far worse state than the timing belt, with them allegedly replaced at the same time (I had supplied all the parts) and having done 50,000 miles.

Since it was handy, I also decided to remove the washer bottle and give it a good clean as there's some muck stuck to some of the sides. There appears to be a very small leak from the pump, so will replace those seals as well.

I also decided to try and do the oil cooler pipe, having bought one back at the 2017 annual meet, and in theory a good time to do it with the front end of. Since the engine is still in situ, I'm trying to follow the instructions on the audipages site:

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...reinstall.html

In point 2 of the section starting "E. Remove Oil Cooler." it states to use a bottle jack to raise the engine slightly to give better access to the top bolts of the oil cooler, after having removing the bottom bolts securing the engine mount to the subframe. Unfortunately, it just starts to raise the car for me as well. Has anyone ever done this with the engine in situ, or can offer a suggestion?

The dark blue pipe is the vacuum pipe which I replaced when I got the car as the originals were either brittle or totally gone. The light blue pipe sitting on top of the wheel is the LPG pipe.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Extra jobs.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	29251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine with timing belt.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	29252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Timing Belt.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	29253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Poly V-belt.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	29254  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds