View Single Post
Old 21st May 2024, 07:04 AM

UPDATE - swings and roundabouts

New spring is in on the passenger side, after buying a set of spring compressors. Replacing the drivers side as well; as suggested; so I can do the CV boot whilst that is out of the way.

CV boot/driveshaft update - Having no success finding anyone who could do the job, I managed to purchase a brand new driveshaft (not OEM) suitable for the car specs. Pulled the driveshaft out, and discover that the new one is not correct, so it's back to replacing the CV boot. Thankfully, someone I know offered to replace the boot by taking the CV joint off, instead of expanding the boot over the joint with one of those tools. Job done, and driveshaft back in place.

Brakes - Something that wasn't originally in my plans, but I had noticed on a couple of heavy braking occasions recently that there was a vibration from the front right, so ordered up a set of discs and calipers. Already had the drivers side off to do the driveshaft etc., and discovered that the carrier was seized. Have to assume this happened after the last MOT, as the machine would have picked up on it, but since I tend to be light on brakes, it's never been an issue until there was sudden heavy braking. Turns out that the discs, advertised as the correct ones for the car (1LX), and every single dimension being identical to mine, are, not surprisingly, wrong. This time, the height is wrong. They should be 60mm, but instead they are 45mm. Basically, what that means is that it is physically impossible to fit the outer brake pads.

This is costing more and more, with now two returns processes being started. The driveshaft should be easy, since it wasn't removed from the inner clear plastic bag. The disc on the other hand will probably be an issue, since I had tried to fit it, although I purchased it based on the listed specs. I shouldn't have to then measure everything again. Another pair have been ordered from elsewhere, and this time the specs confirmed.

Another couple of days lost to an already tight deadline.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds