View Single Post
Old 20th March 2018, 10:31 PM

Default Will a Leaky Radiator Fail a MOT?

Trying to get a consensus on this before I proceed. My car has had a radiator leak for about a year now. Nothing significant, but I need to top it up every few weeks. The leak is coming from the very top right corner of the radiator where different materials appear to join.

Now, my mind has been on other things not car related for pretty much of the last year, so things like fixing problems isn't high on my agenda, if even on the agenda. The problem is that the car is due a MOT next month, I need to get it ready and the radiator is my one concern.

I have looked through the entire MOT inspection manual and can't find anything in relation to coolant leaks. Added to that is being in NI were the MOT centres are government run, and may play to a different tune.

I see three options. Take it the way it is and see what happens. Put something like Radweld into it, and lastly, fit a new radiator. Obviously the new radiator is what I'd like to do, as I want to give the entire car an overhaul, but I don't want to fit a new radiator and then a bit down the line have to move/remove it to work on other parts of the engine bay (and potentially damage it).

Radweld or something similar would be the next port of call, but I've read others caution the use of these products. I don't know if there is reason to be wary of them or just that some people think it will damage or clog other parts of the coolant system.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds