View Single Post
Old 13th July 2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Having thought for years that they were something I didn't need, I've changed my mind.
Why? Because our new car (see sig) has one and I'm finding it really quite useful.

So, I'm trying to work out what options I have for my FL D2 S8. Here are some parameters:
1. Ideally a camera that shows the rear bumper at the lower edge of the field of view.
2. As automatic as possible to turn on when reversing, possibly with an override switch to manually turn it on.
3. I have an RNS-D but NO TV tuner.
4. I do have a TV/video input adapter (which does work when installed) bought to enable use of a DVB-T tuner.
5. This adapter has a switchable option to display video when moving and I already have a suitable switch installed but not connected - in the spare old-style (usually blank) location to the right of the steering wheel.

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
The only issue with the D2 is that you can't get the RNS-D to switch to the TV/video channel automatically when selecting reverse, so you have to select it manually. At least that was the case when I fitted mine, as I could find lots of people asking how to do it, with no answers other than "it can't be done".

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I've just had a look at Sean's (Steamship) thread on fitting a camera using the reversing light space on the nearside equivalent to the boot keylock on the right.
That's made me decide to investigate the numberplate mount, ideally between the two lights.
One like this looks suitable: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152068645597
Putting it in the light itself was something The_Laird had done, although he hid his inside a keylock (and looked well). The downside to where it is mounted is the field of view is skewed more to the passenger side. It's only there for those really really tight spaces, or doing a ten-point turn on a one lane track.

The one you linked to is probably a good one to start with in order to get the angle down to the bumper edge you want.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds