View Single Post
Old 13th April 2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Stunning work MJ

Aplogies in advance if this is nonsense, I am well fluent in it...and I understand it is probably Vera's choice in this case, but if this was my car and there was even the slightest hint that LPG could have contributed in some way to this, I would'nt be reinstalling it in the new engine. I frequent many car based forums and see quite a few problems related to LPG. However I guess the biggest question I have is if LPG is so great why are major manufacturers not offering it as an option on new vehicles, particularly in these times when diesel (rightly IMHO) and petrol is getting bad press.

Just the thoughts of a rambling Scotsman
I've had my D2 running on LPG since November 2013. To me there has only been two downsides, the time it takes to fill the tank and the lack of petrol stations that actually sell it. Other than that, the only time the LPG has stopped running is when it detected a fault with one of the ignition coils.

From a manufacturers viewpoint, I suspect it would be to do with where to locate the actual tank. Mine is a 125 litre tank running across the back of the boot. You could fit a smaller capacity toroidal one in the spare wheel well, but then you lose that space. You would also need a small petrol tank since the engine starts on petrol and switches to LPG when it reaches a certain temperature. That would mean having two fuel tank instruments. The LPG filler is also non-standard so you need different adaptors depending on where you travel e.g. I have one for buying my LPG over the border in Ireland.

Lastly, from the back pocket perspective, best thing I've ever done to the car. Some very rough figures. Until the time I got the LPG conversion done, I had covered just shy of 5,000 miles at a cost of £1,977. From the conversion and for a cost of £1,965, I travelled 18 mile short of 10,000.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds