View Single Post
Old 6th June 2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph2.5pi View Post
Or, buy yet another cluster, risking the same issue yet again.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :-)
Do you have access to VCDS? If you do, and do consider buying another cluster, you can connect up the replacement cluster and then use VCDS to run some tests on the cluster. It does things like needle sweeps, seatbelt warning, all the warning lights and most importantly a LCD test. It basically switches on all the pixels in the LCDs, and if they are all working should give a solid block of colour. It will not however help identify the fading pixels issue.

Having said that, I suppose you could try and simulate the effect of a build up of heat, but you'd either need to pre-heat the car before swapping the clusters, or blast a hairdryer at the back of cluster. At least that way, I suppose you could then return it as not working 100%.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds