View Single Post
Old 15th April 2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Not sure if I've shown this before? On most cars you would use copper anti-seize grease with steel bolts in to steel nuts. Not so with aluminium threads in the D2 though, as the copper will accelerate corrosion, not protect against it. Instead, for the D2 I use aluminium anti-seize in certain places. The front panel to the chassis legs for example, the subframe to body bolts, or here for the main bumper bolts. The aluminium grease stops corrosion because it doesn't set up a galvanic reaction. There are some places where steel nutserts are used (the battery junction box for example). These do use copper grease, so its important to know which is which.

Another brilliant tip for everyone who tinkers with their own car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Yeah still doing two jobs 7 hours a day pretending to be an IT consultant and then 4-5 hours in the workshop. I slept well last night
Unbelievable! And there was me thinking your were a 'D2 Doctor' 24/7.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds