View Single Post
Old 19th December 2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
That's Australia only so far.
From the various reports I've read, it is seems to be related to hot and humid countries, and how the internals of the igniters react to that sort of environment. As such, that should in theory let us in the UK off, but Audi could just decide to apply the recall globally (except maybe the US, as they would be hung out to dry).

There are also several reports of poor quality control from Takata due to their ever increasing workload, and a shift in the automobile industry to 'just in time' manufacturing, where suppliers could be fined tens of thousands if a production line stops because they didn't have the parts. There are also videos showing pallet loads of airbags modules falling off forklift trucks as they're being loaded, and being shipped anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4R 100N View Post
From the talk that I see from them, they see to be intimating that they would need to engineer a solution and test their efforts, making a fix uneconomical???
Sadly, this is just marketing speak to make it sound as if they care. The reality is that they would need to go back to Takata (the obvious place, since they would have all the production details for the airbags), and ask them to come up with a replacement, which will cost them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4R 100N View Post
This is my big fear Michaela...my registration is due at the end of January so time is running out for me I fear...
I didn't see that the cars would NOT be re-registered again, so there goes what I thought was good news.

Depending on the type of steering wheel, the airbags cost between £800 and £1,000, but production was stopped last year, so, theoretically, there should be modules available sitting in storage somewhere.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds